Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-01-2011, 10:12 PM   #197
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Those wheels are....uhhhH!!!!! AWESOME!!!
Old 11-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #198
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWDOWN View Post
Fence-sitter!!

I hate to repeat myself, Pete, but from another thread, I came up with this rationale...that may NOT be rational...

1LE = As shown, more or less...with monochromatic hood, please (too BOSS-like!)

1LE = Base BO$$

Z/28 = 1LE + LS7

Z/28 = BO$$ L$

Tit-for-tat...and them's nice tats!
Lowdown, I have to agree with you. I think the 1LE will be an option for the SS with no different engine or a DI version of the current SS engine. We've all stated that the ZL1 isn't going to be a huge seller with the price point that it'll be at. This is a good way to help offset some of those development costs.

The Z/28 will more than likely consist of the 1LE option and a different engine. Probably whatever the base C7 Corvette will be.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 05:42 PM   #199
zogster

Drives: 2014 RRM ZL1 M6
They're aren't going to certify the C7 engine for a year or maybe two in the Z/28. The Z/28 will have an LS3 if there is a Z/28 5th Gen. Maybe slightly modified, but it will be an LS3.
zogster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:57 PM   #200
Cam#7

Drives: 2011 2LT IBM / SIM stripe 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by zogster View Post
They're aren't going to certify the C7 engine for a year or maybe two in the Z/28. The Z/28 will have an LS3 if there is a Z/28 5th Gen. Maybe slightly modified, but it will be an LS3.
If you call adding DI to the LS3 as slightly modified. Othewise there's no way the Z/28 is going to have the SS engine. It'll be whatever the C7 Corvette will be. Now which will be first the C7 or the Gen5 Z/28, that's real mystery. But we can be rest assure they'll have the same engine.
Cam#7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 02:31 PM   #201
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
The coming Gen-5 SBC, already referred to as "LT1", will arrive...TADA!!...in the C7 Vette, and be resident only in the C7 for its first Model Year. The DI architecture will prevail on next-Gen Camaros...across the board.

Which leaves a question to be resolved: Since the 1LE encompasses most of the chassis content of a potential Z/28, and since the LS3 will NOT bash the BOSS, and since C7 Vette precedes Gen-6 Camaro by 2 MY, will/would GM go to the bother of readying FOR ONE MODEL YEAR ONLY an "LTI"-engined Gen-5 Camaro to be called Z/28?

Or...is it more likely an alternative-to-LS3 will be combined with the 1LE elements to create a 2-3 Model Year Gen-5 Z/28?

No matter what the Team does with a 1LE cum Z/28, the final result WILL be compared to the BOSS...so it better be "right", as in "up to the challenge(r)"!

Stay tuned...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 05:36 PM   #202
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
The coming Gen-5 SBC, already referred to as "LT1", will arrive...TADA!!...in the C7 Vette, and be resident only in the C7 for its first Model Year. The DI architecture will prevail on next-Gen Camaros...across the board.

Which leaves a question to be resolved: Since the 1LE encompasses most of the chassis content of a potential Z/28, and since the LS3 will NOT bash the BOSS, and since C7 Vette precedes Gen-6 Camaro by 2 MY, will/would GM go to the bother of readying FOR ONE MODEL YEAR ONLY an "LTI"-engined Gen-5 Camaro to be called Z/28?

Or...is it more likely an alternative-to-LS3 will be combined with the 1LE elements to create a 2-3 Model Year Gen-5 Z/28?

No matter what the Team does with a 1LE cum Z/28, the final result WILL be compared to the BOSS...so it better be "right", as in "up to the challenge(r)"!

Stay tuned...
But...here's a thought to fiddle with...The Boss is no lightweight compared to the GT...and it's claim to fame is in the suspension and apparently illegal "track-key" gimmick...also consider it's out the door after two MYs....

Thought #2: I feel confident the ZL1 will be able to put the Boss Mustang, even the LS...in its place. Call me crazy if you like, but I'm going to wait until the numbers are released before I push too much on this one. (hate to be wrong! )

Thought #3: This 1LE weighs less than an SS by as much as 50 lbs, and less than a ZL1 by as much as 320 lbs....it has upwards of 432-ish hp with the dual-mode exhaust...the trick suspension, and ridiculous tires off the ZL1 (I'm sure with PTM)....imho...with some fancy engineering details...this car, as-is...could put a Boss through its paces.

I'd like to see them produce this car. And I'd like to see them call it a Z28 because I miss the name, and this car fits the bill in my head...But regardless of name - I really, really, really think they should build this car.

It's the same formula as a Grand Sport Corvette: Take the model's supercar bits and add them to the lower-level car to produce something in the middle. Smart, cheap, and effective. And that Grand Sport is a success!!
Old 11-04-2011, 06:05 PM   #203
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Yes build the 1LE. Actually I can't think of why not.

I'd also love to see a production version of the Hot Wheels model.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:28 PM   #204
ShnOmac

Drives: 2006 Silverado SS, 2009 G8 GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

One expensive paint job!
ShnOmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:59 PM   #205
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Key words "production version". I believe other colors may work as well besides green.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 09:45 AM   #206
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
But...here's a thought to fiddle with...The Boss is no lightweight compared to the GT...and it's claim to fame is in the suspension and apparently illegal "track-key" gimmick...also consider it's out the door after two MYs....

The BOSS will come in about 200 pounds under the 1LE...with more horsies, "key" or not. Will MRC "save the day" as an equalizer? And "equal" is NOT what I personally hope for...

Thought #2: I feel confident [B]the ZL1 will be able to put the Boss Mustang, even the LS...in its place
. Call me crazy if you like, but I'm going to wait until the numbers are released before I push too much on this one. (hate to be wrong! )

In most circumstances, the ZL1 better "dominate" the BOSS, and I believe it will. In AutoX? Hmmmm...lotta weight in that ZL1's schnozz...

Thought #3: This 1LE weighs less than an 1SS by as much as 50 lbs, and less than a ZL1 by as much as 320 lbs....it has upwards of 432-ish hp with the dual-mode exhaust...the trick suspension, and ridiculous tires off the ZL1 (I'm sure with PTM)....imho...with some fancy engineering details...this car, as-is...could put a Boss through its paces.

Addendum added as "1SS"...

BTW, MRC is "weighty". I think you'll find a 1SS and a 1SS-based 1LE about equal at the Curb...

Again, depending on "environment". Power-to-weight is still relevant. In a tight AutoX, a 1LE should trump the ZL1... Let's see how the L28 does in the Optima Challenge, today, + PEDDERS - MRC.

I'd like to see them produce this car. And I'd like to see them call it a Z28 because I miss the name, and this car fits the bill in my head...But regardless of name - I really, really, really think they should build this car.

It's the same formula as a Grand Sport Corvette: Take the model's supercar bits and add them to the lower-level car to produce something in the middle. Smart, cheap, and effective. And that Grand Sport is a success!![/QUOTE]

Elsewhere, I alluded to Mustang's two-prong approach to the BOSS: Base @ low $40s...which an 1SS-1LE (as engineered - $10Gs over 1SS) should match, readily; and the BOSS LS @ $6,995 extra...which should pretty much cover the cost of an LS7 upgrade to make a "worthy" Z/28...

As we're discussing, a 1LE must at least equal a BOSS...correct? And a ZEE should handily (pun intended) cover a BOSS LS, especially when "properly powered"...

SS >= GT
1LE >= BOSS
Z/28 >= BOSS LS
ZL1 >= GT500

Bases covered, "let's play ball!"
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 PM   #207
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
In most circumstances, the ZL1 better "dominate" the BOSS, and I believe it will. In AutoX? Hmmmm...lotta weight in that ZL1's schnozz...

There's not actually!! Believe it or not, they IMPROVED on the SS's weight balance, by spreading the weight that had to be added all over the car (and down low, to boot). The ZL1 has a 51/49 weight balance with a low CG!!

Thought #3: This 1LE weighs less than an 1SS by as much as 50 lbs, and less than a ZL1 by as much as 320 lbs....it has upwards of 432-ish hp with the dual-mode exhaust...the trick suspension, and ridiculous tires off the ZL1 (I'm sure with PTM)....imho...with some fancy engineering details...this car, as-is...could put a Boss through its paces.

Addendum added as "1SS"...

BTW, MRC is "weighty". I think you'll find a 1SS and a 1SS-based 1LE about equal at the Curb...

Again, depending on "environment". Power-to-weight is still relevant. In a tight AutoX, a 1LE should trump the ZL1... Let's see how the L28 does in the Optima Challenge, today, + PEDDERS - MRC.

I heard the gen-3 system had dropped a few pounds compared to the older ones...but regardless, you are probably right on overall weight.

It's the same formula as a Grand Sport Corvette: Take the model's supercar bits and add them to the lower-level car to produce something in the middle. Smart, cheap, and effective. And that Grand Sport is a success!!

Elsewhere, I alluded to Mustang's two-prong approach to the BOSS: Base @ low $40s...which an 1SS-1LE (as engineered - $10Gs over 1SS) should match, readily; and the BOSS LS @ $6,995 extra...which should pretty much cover the cost of an LS7 upgrade to make a "worthy" Z/28...

As we're discussing, a 1LE must at least equal a BOSS...correct? And a ZEE should handily (pun intended) cover a BOSS LS, especially when "properly powered"...

SS >= GT
1LE >= BOSS
Z/28 >= BOSS LS
ZL1 >= GT500

Bases covered, "let's play ball!"
I'd just as soon see the 1LE come 1SS trim and an LS7 from the factory if we're doing it right. Less cost from the outset, easier to build because there's less options...my outlook on chances of that is slim, though...I really have no doubts the 1LE as-is could hang with a Boss Mustang with the Laguna Seca package....plus - it'd maintain a solid business case as the LS3 could maintain an SS fuel economy rating, versus a 22 or 23 hwy due to the LS7.

But I DO NOT DEBATE -- having an LS7-powered Camaro from the factory would be bad ass!!

By the way...I saw a Boss LS with all the dealer-installed trim and air deflectors and stuff...it looked terrible, the plastic was all warped, and gaps.....better to have as much done from the factory as possible, imo.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:15 PM   #208
29er

Drives: 14 1LE Garage King
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post

oh yeah!!! what a killer paint job ! and the wheels amazing! i would love seeing myself driving this... i know i'm dreamin ...
Attached Images

29er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 AM   #209
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
By the way...I saw a Boss LS with all the dealer-installed trim and air deflectors and stuff...it looked terrible, the plastic was all warped, and gaps.....better to have as much done from the factory as possible, imo.
I'm not a big fan of the LS' look (overdone), but its dynamics are undeniably well-done and speak DIRECTLY to its name.

As far as the ZL1 balance @ 51/49, just imagine Curb and balance without 100+ pounds of blower/'cooler squatting on the nose...@ or UNDER the "magic" 50/50!

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 11-07-2011 at 11:50 AM.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 AM   #210
pensphan87

Drives: 2012 IBM 2SS/RS Convertible Bliss
Is that color changing paint?

Yes, just run it under cold water and watch the color magically change!
pensphan87 is offline   Reply With Quote