Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 05-28-2013, 12:35 PM   #1
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
Pilot SS or vredestiens?

Well, looks like its getting time to start the tire hunt again! I am running the sessentas now withe a 275 up front and a 315 in the rear. I have been very pleased with the vredestiens, great tire, great grip, great tread life. Currently have 20k on them with an HPDE and about 10ish autoX days, I estimate another 4-5k left on them. I have been hearing great things about the Pilots though, I would go with a 285 square set up with them. Anybody have experience with both tire? Thoughts? Comments? Witty replies?
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 12:48 PM   #2
chicagobulls
one car wolfpack

Drives: 2010 Camaro V6
From what I have read, the michelins are like steroids for the track.
chicagobulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #3
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
They are costly..

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 11:25 AM   #4
Bornluckee13
I fly

I have priced them, not prohibitively costly. I started with the 21" wheels so anything is cheaper than those things! What is tire life like? It's hard to keep the wife understanding about track days if I'm replacing tires every 10k! She is already baffled about my need of 2 sets of brake pads and addiction to brake fluid.....
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Old 05-29-2013, 11:39 AM   #5
Synner

Drives: cars
Vredesteins aren't a track tire, i would get the michelins. Tread life will be better than most for your intended use but you can't say x,xxx miles when you race with them.

I've gotten my wife to accept squealing track pads 24/7 and I tell her the fluid is needed so my face doesn't hit the wall and need a new $40k camaro. Then she's fine with $30 in fluid after every track day. Think like a politician and sell it; dazzle with brilliance or baffle with bullshit.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #6
Bornluckee13
I fly

Lol, I'm pretty good at the baffling thing! I just explained that because I have track pads my street pads won't need to be replaced half as much. The squeal was killing me, the extra 30 min to swap out pads is worth it on my daily driver. As far as tread life on the track, your right, impossible to guesstimate. I was hoping to hear from somebody who has run them on their daily driver with possibly a few track days thrown in. The Vreds are no track tire but are a great high performance street tire that perform great for a duel purpose daily driver that sees A LOT of highway miles. I'm not looking at Rspec tires for a second set of track wheels (yet), But the best possible compromise.
Old 05-29-2013, 03:34 PM   #7
Bornluckee13
I fly

After reviewing the 30k warranty and the fact I'll be running a square 285 set up I don't see how I can go wrong with the Michelins!
Old 05-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #8
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
I have been running the Super Sports since they came out on my GT500, my wife's M3, and replaced my Goodyear F1s on my 1LE. I run the 285/35 square set up on the 1LE. I still love them. With the 30k warranty on the square set up you can't beat it. I've tracked them frequently on the various cars and love them. You won't regret it.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:58 AM   #9
K32 Camaro
V8 lounge member #5

Drives: 12 2SS Synergy Camaro, 05 PontiacG6
I didn't think the warranty applied for tracked cars. I personally prefer the vreds b/c the $/performance factor. But if you don't mind swinging the super sports do it. The only tire that has better reviews than the vreds imo.
K32 Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #10
BAWLZ SS

Drives: '10 Camaro LS3 2SS/RS, 1968 Nova
Pilot super sports!!! You get what u pay for!!! I love them!!!!
Performance- Kooks Headers w/HF cats, ZL1 Corsa exhaust, VMax, CAI Inc. CAI, MGW shifter, RX CC Suspension - KW V3 Coilovers/ Full PFADT & BMR suspension Appearance - ZL1 Fascia/Sides/ Diffuser, AAC Afterburners, RK Sport 3pc Spoiler, SLP Black out Kit
BAWLZ SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #11
My 5th

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Black on Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phdpsy View Post
I have been running the Super Sports since they came out on my GT500, my wife's M3, and replaced my Goodyear F1s on my 1LE. I run the 285/35 square set up on the 1LE. I still love them. With the 30k warranty on the square set up you can't beat it. I've tracked them frequently on the various cars and love them. You won't regret it.
Do you have to run a square setup to get the 30K warranty? I've been thinking about replacing my Conti Extreme Contact DWS with the Pilots, but I would run 285 front and 315 rear (9.5" X 20" front 11.0" X 20" rear).

Since I have winter tires on my stock wheels I run the "performance" tires only 7-8 months a year.
Old 05-30-2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Phdpsy

Drives: SW 2013 1LE
30k for a square set up, only 15k warranty if staggered since they can't be rotated effectively and will wear more quickly. I got 34k miles on my wife's M3 set with one track weekend. 17k on my GT500 with 4 track weekends and a handful of quarter mile passes. Plus, they handle great in the wet...something fairly rare in this level of performance tire.
Phdpsy is offline   Reply With Quote