Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-18-2010, 07:19 AM   #29
ducatisl
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS 6m
Location: Fort Walton Beach...surrounded by da** pickup trucks I can't see around!
Great information here: thanks 1008com and Stings. While I can get my tri bike in thru the trunk (back seat down), it's not ideal as I have to loosen the stem and rotate the aero bars to the fork, take off the front wheel, and take off the seat (not a big deal with a Cervelo as it's one allen head bolt), but still, I see these smaller cars on The Tour de France and they seem to have bike rails bolted everywhere.

Once I get done with my SS's performance mods (probably never, right?!) I may try and get a aftermarket trunk lid and mod it like the europeans do....all I want is to be able to carry one 17 lb tri-bike: relatively easy compared to installing !#@$#!@#$ subframe bushings, right?!
Procharged F1A-94 on a 416 LSA block, Callies/Manley/Scat/Melling/Cloyes/ARP/Ferrea/Landspeed/Hi-Ram/FIC/Tick/Alky/ Strange/QA1/DSS/BMR/RPS/Tilton/GZM/Fore/AEM/ATi/JGS etc., built/tuned by me and Innovative Street Technologies
'Mo's Seemingly Endless Build Thread
ducatisl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:23 PM   #30
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
K so I dont understand towing, but i'm tryna figure this out.. if i do the exact same modifications you did to the reciever and im tryna put a 380 pound motorcycle on this http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php is it gonna work lol? sorry if this is really dumb.

Last edited by ucla1ove3; 12-28-2010 at 10:25 AM.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM   #31
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
bump for quick response?
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:41 PM   #32
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
K so I dont understand towing, but i'm tryna figure this out.. if i do the exact same modifications you did to the reciever and im tryna put a 380 pound motorcycle on this http://www.versahaul.com/vhsportro.php is it gonna work lol? sorry if this is really dumb.

thats wild.

I would DEF NOT try that with the hitch for the Camaro...that would rip right off. Car isnt made to have that much weight hang off the back either. I wouldnt feel safe driving that - no way
Old 12-30-2010, 01:43 PM   #33
l008com

Drives: 2013 1LT Crystal Red/Beige Manual
HAH when I read the question, I thought he was talking about a 380 lb trailer. I worry about two 40lb mountain bikes on a 40lb bike rack. I would NEVER put a MOTOR CYCLE on there. Unless you're trying to get some insurance money.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM   #34
Eric Baker

Drives: Black/Black 2SS/RS 6M
No way that would would work. WAY over the tow rating. The Camaro is only rated for 100lb tongue weight, that would effectively be upwards of 460lb tongue weight.
Eric Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 06:43 AM   #35
l008com

Hey STINGS you still around?
I pulled my hitch off my 2010 (now for sale) and after looking at the other hitch options on the market, I'm thinking that putting the Valley back on my new 2013 is still the best way to go. But I definitely want to get some nice round washers instead of the bars that dig into the body panels. And I'm also interested in the details of exactly what you did to mod the back piece of the hitch so you don't have to drill through the battery pan.
l008com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #36
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2LT/RS/T.F./6M "naomi"
Mainly I cut the two tabs off of the hitch that went through the battery box and had a bar welded across the front of the hitch.

I than drill two holes through the bottom of the spare tire tub, and through the support that is under the tub. The holes in the tub are bigger than the holes through the support, so you are not pulling the bottom of the tub down into the support. Mounted the hitch by the rear bolts and marked the rear bar with a sharpie through the holes I just drilled through the battery box. Removed the hitch and drill the two hole through the rear bar. (There is a lot of play in the rear bolts so make sure the hitch looks centered on the back of the car, and not twisted left or right before you mark the holes that need to be drilled on the front cross bar)

Did use the extra thick washers on the top of the 2 rear bolts, and a regular fender washer on the underside of the tub.

Hope this is of some help. Since I was going to hook up a box trailer, did add some vertical flat stock that tied the receiver tube up to the back of the bumper tube, for extra support.

Joe
PS: Guess that means the spare tire compartment is built the same as the 2010. Haven't really looked underneath one lately!

Quote:
Originally Posted by l008com View Post
Hey STINGS you still around?
I pulled my hitch off my 2010 (now for sale) and after looking at the other hitch options on the market, I'm thinking that putting the Valley back on my new 2013 is still the best way to go. But I definitely want to get some nice round washers instead of the bars that dig into the body panels. And I'm also interested in the details of exactly what you did to mod the back piece of the hitch so you don't have to drill through the battery pan.
STINGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #37
l008com

Did you make the round washers or are they a standard size? I don't want to use those bars again.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:21 PM   #38
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Did you make the round washers or are they a standard size? I don't want to use those bars again.
Just an extra thick fender washer, that was available at the local hardware store. Used the thick fender washer inside the trunk, and normal thickness fender washers (1/8inch) between the hitch and the exterior metal of the trunk. Just did a search of "extra thick fender washers"on google, and found links to fastenal and grainger. Fastenal prices seem pretty close to what I paid for the 1/4 inch thick washers. Think I paid around 16 dollars for 4 of them.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:33 PM   #39
l008com

Are you using the bolts that came with it or did you grab some new ones?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #40
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Quote:
Are you using the bolts that came with it or did you grab some new ones?
Used the gold anodized ones, which if they didn't come with the valley/uhaul hitch, might be the hardware that came with the curt hitch.
Here is another link which has some other pictures. (Post 53,54 & 56)

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...t=23426&page=2

you may even have this link, since looks like I was talking to you!
Old 03-07-2013, 07:49 PM   #41
l008com

I think you forgot the link

So from the looks of this thread, did you just spraypaint the fender washers to keep them from corroding? Is it holding up?
Old 03-07-2013, 07:53 PM   #42
STINGS
Live for On Ramps!

Had the washers powder coated along with the hitch. Yea noticed the link and have added to the previous post, only to see your post as I saved it. lol

Joe

Quote:
I think you forgot the link

So from the looks of this thread, did you just spraypaint the fender washers to keep them from corroding? Is it holding up?
Holding up quite well, picture from last years club picnic.

Last edited by STINGS; 03-07-2013 at 08:07 PM.