Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-21-2007, 11:53 PM   #43
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
At the fair, Scott said several things. These have already been covered.

1. B-pillar will be there...no roll down rear windows.
2. It will have a key (no push button start)
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 06:17 AM   #44
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Did he mention why there would be no push button start? That seems like a no-brainer to put it in.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 AM   #45
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I dunno, maybe because regular ignitions have worked for decades with few complaints and are probably quite cheap to design? And push buttons would raise the price simply because they add nothing other than a wow factor. Its an engineering fact that cool features cost alot, for the customer that is. I may be wrong on all this though. Do push button starts work better? Do they lead to a better performing car? Do they make it safer? Do they make the drive more comfortable? I don't see how it can do any of these.

Now that im done my little rant, I understand that there are people out there that would like to have this feature, who would pay an extra few hundred bucks for it. I don't want to because I want an inexpensive, high performing Camaro. If I wanted something fancy I'd go euro (if i had the money) or at least Caddy.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:18 AM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Now that im done my little rant, I understand that there are people out there that would like to have this feature, who would pay an extra few hundred bucks for it. I don't want to because I want an inexpensive, high performing Camaro. If I wanted something fancy I'd go euro (if i had the money) or at least Caddy.
It'd be nice - just like you said, for the "wow" factor. But I'm not bothered by not having it, at all. I'll take that extra hundred bucks, and pop it into a "bigger engine" fund.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:39 AM   #47
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
The main purpose is that presumably it would be coupled with a keyless entry/start system, so as long as you have the fob with you in your pocket, you walk up, the doors unlock themselves, you get in, depress the clutch, hit the button, and the beast wakes up. Fumbling with keys and having them swing around, tap into things, and scratch stuff up is just annoying.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 09:45 AM   #48
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Fumbling with keys and having them swing around, tap into things, and scratch stuff up is just annoying.
^ That! right there, that is the only clear advantage I can see with a push-start. (other than the 'wow' factor.)
Old 10-22-2007, 11:26 AM   #49
OverAnxious

Drives: 1967 RS/SS L78 Coupe
Send a message via AIM to OverAnxious Send a message via Yahoo to OverAnxious
Quote:
The main purpose is that presumably it would be coupled with a keyless entry/start system, so as long as you have the fob with you in your pocket, you walk up, the doors unlock themselves, you get in, depress the clutch, hit the button, and the beast wakes up. Fumbling with keys and having them swing around, tap into things, and scratch stuff up is just annoying.
Having one key and a rubber keychain solves those problems

As much as I'd like a similar system to the C6 Corvette, I'd rather not have it on a Camaro and help keep the costs down a little. Every little thing counts
OverAnxious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #50
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Give me a second and I'll see if I can upload one of my crappy, shakey videos onto Kodak. I seriously have to get a tripod. I was standing perfectly still and they darn camera was still shaking like crazy. But, once the link is up, listen carefully during the first few seconds. Scott said he could talk about certain things and I scrambled for my camera. So, I didn't get it all...

It just started downloading...I'll edit this post to add the video when it's done. Scott siad he's been known for getting out of more than one Corvette while leaving it running....regarding the key issue.
Old 10-23-2007, 02:16 AM   #51
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Doesn't bother me. I still open my doors and tailgate manually (by sticking a key into the slot, yeah they're there for a reason). My brother in law just got a new Altima (nice car) with one of those keys you just keep in your pocket. All new fangled to me. Wizardry!! Wizardry I tell you!!
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:06 AM   #52
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Guess I won't be uploading the vid. It won't upload due to the vid size...sucks.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:40 AM   #53
Pencil.Fight

Drives: '06 Mustang
Send a message via Yahoo to Pencil.Fight
Upload it to YouTube and link to it?
Pencil.Fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 04:05 PM   #54
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

I'll give it a shot