Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-17-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Camaro corvette gap

I was reading a copy of "Automobile " magazine the other day . I don't remember the issue, but it had the new '08 Corvette on the cover. There was small article discussing as they called it the C-6.5 Corvette they dubbed the SS or blue devil. At the end of the article they talked about the up coming C-7 Corvette due in 2010. They stated it would be mid-engine with a price of $100,000. Saying this was true, would that widen the gap between the Corvette and Camaro to allow GM to give us a REALLY hot Camaro for the rest of the masses and not step on the toes of the Corvette? If the rumor of the C-7 is true, then clearly that would put Corvette in a class all of it's own and give the Camaro it's own niche in the performance segment. Giving us working stiffs a REALLY nice performance pallete.

Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 01:39 AM   #2
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
The c-7 looks like a lambo, I doubt they'd make it MR though. The Corvette is too much a statement as is being FR and competing with all the MR cars for a fraction of the cost.
Old 08-18-2007, 02:12 AM   #3
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
There's been rumors about making the Corvette mid engined for 20 years. If they wanna do it that's fine by me, but don't call it a Corvette.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:37 AM   #4
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
"Mid-engine Corvette"... Another example of misinformation by the auto "rags". I suppose you could never say never, but I seriously doubt that there would ever be a mid-engine Corvette. Chevrolet has strived to maintained the "heritage" of the Corvette for so long (front engine, light-weight/fiberglass, rwd) that I doubt they'd go mid-engine.

When the "Blue Devil"/"SS" Corvette arrives, there will still be the "lesser" models of Corvette's produced, so therefore I don't see a "widening of the gap" between the Corvette and new Camaro.

The Camaro will remain "below" the "lesser" Corvette as it always has been. That being said, with the increase in HP/performance of the "basic" Corvette, that will allow for a Camaro with very nice HP numbers.

Also, you can bet there will be select dealers who will offer their "special" models with lots of HP.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 10:28 AM   #5
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
The best camaro's might have more power than base corvettes. However they are not likely to beat the basic corvettes in power to weight. To do that would mean over 550 hp for the camaro.

And as for the mid-engine corvette, i hope its not true. I prefer nameplates that keep the heritage. If the car dramatically changes, then don't use the old name just call it something new.
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:46 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
There is and never will be a such thing as a MR Corvette. make another car, and make it MR, but not the Corvette. Again, I don't think they'll do it.
Old 08-18-2007, 01:20 PM   #7
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
actually GM was doing a survey on what people wanted to see in the C7 corvette and mid engine was one of the questions. I chose to keep the engine under the hood of course, but there is actually a strong possibility that could happen. I hope the keep the vette american...but we'll see?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:35 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Where are they doing this Survey, on-line? Cause I'll vote 1000 times FR, these people don't know what they want.
Old 08-18-2007, 08:42 PM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
i firmly believe the new camaro will come with a detuned version of the LS3, which has been reported to be going into the 08 vettes. flash the pcm and tune it to the same specs as the vette and there ya go. same way with the LT1 and LS1, it came in the vette, then a year later a detuned version went into the Camaro. the vette will always be more powerfull than the camaro off the production floor, which is why we mod our cars in the first place right? granted, an 09 SS Camaro might out run a stock Corvette. all i gotta say is, we dont need a mid engine vette. I dont care how fast/powerfull it is. keep the heritage alive GM, you've been losing it over the years (gto looking like a powered up sunfire/G6, dropping the camaro, etc.) front engine corvette, or no vette. hell, if you're going to make it mid engine, why not make it all wheel drive, or better yet why dont you go overseas and start working for ferarri or lamborgini. just my $0.02
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Mungo

Drives: trans am
Nice view points! I still believe there are many people out there itching to do fantastic things with this car. SLP, lingenfelter.. hell even (shudder) Saleen. Not to mention after market parts. I'll just sit back and drool. What a country! (Russian accent added )
Mungo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:19 PM   #11
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungo View Post
Nice view points! I still believe there are many people out there itching to do fantastic things with this car. SLP, lingenfelter.. hell even (shudder) Saleen. Not to mention after market parts. I'll just sit back and drool. What a country! (Russian accent added )
In America, you make the car, in Soviet Republic, Car makes you.

sorry, that was the best I could think of on short notice.

and dont knock saleen too much (Bumblebee was a saleen)
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM   #12
Mr. Wyndham

Bumblebee Was a Saleen...but...what did they do to it? Bumblebee's body was almost Exactly like the Concept's...

Somewhere, I read Lutz saying what an American car the Corvette was, and to offer such performance for such a Low price is a Knock to the Euros. I can't remember where I read that, and I woudn't know where to begin looking - but I remember it becuase it made me so proud to hear Lutz talking like that. Point I'm trying to make: I doubt Highly the C7 will be Mid-engine.
Old 08-18-2007, 10:03 PM   #13
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Where are they doing this Survey, on-line? Cause I'll vote 1000 times FR, these people don't know what they want.
yeah it was online from GM, like I said I really hope that they dont go mid engine. hopefully they wont be asking 100K for the C7 vette either. that just takes away from what the vette is.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 AM   #14
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
In America, you make the car, in Soviet Republic, Car makes you.
In America, you drive car. In Soviet Russia, car drives you!
:o
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote