Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 11-09-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Take to car wash or store dirty?

I have a broken leg and am not able to hand wash my 2010 SS/RS. It's a garage baby w/ 7000 miles and has only been washed maybe 3 times and I have done it by hand. It's never seen rain or snow.

I am getting ready to put it into winter storage and it's dirty, not filthy, but dirty. It has some bugs on the front, on the back of the mirrors and the windshield. The wheels are dirty like they always are because of brake dust.

I have the OEM car cover and I am considering running it through a car wash just this 1 time or cover it and store it dirty. Then clean it in the spring.

What would you guys do? Have any of you used machine car washes on a regular basis? Have you found any damage?

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:49 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Russ,

If you want my opinion, DO NOT use a car wash of any kind. It seems you really take good care of your car, so don't risk it.

Do you have a garage? If so, then I'd just park it "as is". If not, DO NOT put the cover on UNLESS the car is CLEAN.

I'd recommend calling a local car detailer, explain your situation, re; that you just want a good bath before storage. I'd expect any detailer would do that for you. I would!

Good luck
Ed
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
First off sorry to hear about your broken leg. Second how the hell you have 7000 miles and washed your car only 3 times? My car has 5000 and change and I have had her for a about 1 year she gets washed about 2 times a month. I would wash it before I store away. Depending on how long you will be in the cast will determine if you wash by hand or take it to the car wash. You don't drive it at all during the winter? I take her out when it's cold as long as the roads are dry.
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 03:53 PM   #4
RiCorvette

Drives: 2017 Corvette Grand Sport 3LT
Sorry to hear about the broken leg; Best Wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
Hopefully some local C5ers will offer to lend a hand and help.
RiCorvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Russ, as Moose suggested, if you can't do the two bucket wash, if nothing else, get the BUGS off of the front, off of the painted surfaces. The acid in their guts WILL etch your paint. Then park it in your garage, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES cover a dirty car......if you do, you might as well drag sand paper across it.
Old 11-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
redirish

Drives: 10' IOM 2SS/RS/M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Nuke View Post
Russ, as Moose suggested, if you can't do the two bucket wash, if nothing else, get the BUGS off of the front, off of the painted surfaces. The acid in their guts WILL etch your paint. Then park it in your garage, but under NO CIRCUMSTANCES cover a dirty car......if you do, you might as well drag sand paper across it.
I agree with Sir Nuke. If you can get someone to help you, get some waterless wash or detail spray and use some good micro fiber towels and have them soak and wipe off the bugs and then when you heal up you can wash the car yourself.
redirish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 06:46 PM   #7
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
definitely get is washed by hand somehow, have a family member or friend wash it and then put it in the garage with the OEM cover, I washed mine two weeks ago and then dried it with the leaf blower and my Camaro is in my garage with the OEM cover nice and safe for the long boring winter.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM   #8
David79z28

Drives: 79Z28 and 2010 2SS/RS
I would find a good professional detailer or a family member that will wash it the way you want it washed!!

I have a broken arm and my wife is now very familiar with how I want the cars washed....
David79z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:09 PM   #9
SSizzle

Drives: Inferno Orange 2010 Camaro 2SS
Definitely wash it before storing, and do not cover it with dirt on it. 3 washes is not enough in that mile period. I wash and spray wax once a week or so. I've had it 14 months with 11k miles on it.
If you have to use a car wash use a touchless, I have used them. Make sure you get the top one with the under carrige wash. Honestly a touchless is a lot better than the dealer or hand wash stations washing your car at any point. I have worked in the car business for many years. Old rags and old soap exist.
Old 11-09-2010, 07:15 PM   #10
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
Carry it to a detailer, some of them wash cars.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:51 PM   #11
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus1dab View Post
Carry it to a detailer, some of them wash cars.
... for like 20 bucks. There's no reason to not have it washed. I'll add this. Leaving bugs and brake dust on your car for an extended amount of time is a lot worse than driving it in the rain and snow.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
OHIOSS
Russ

Drives: Yukon Denali, Charger, CamaroSS
Send a message via AIM to OHIOSS
Well to clarify, I have used detail spray lots and lots of times on the car I have just rarely had to wash it, except the wheels. I do spray wheel cleaner on the wheels and then rinse them off with the hose. I have one of those California dusters and I have used that a few times also.

The car gets stored in a building about 8 miles from my house. I don't keep it at my house during the winter for two reasons; one is if it's not here I won't drive it and that way I keep the miles down, reason 2 is that I hate cleaning snow off of my daily driver vehicle so I keep it in the garage in the winter. When the Camaro comes out of storage it goes in the garage and the daily driver goes out.

I'm glad you guys said something about not putting the cover on the car when it's dirty. I should have known better but I just didn't even think about grinding in the dirt and scratching the finish...duh on my part.

I didn't know if any of you guys had used like the BP car wash on your Camaro's. I thought one time isn't going to hurt...but then that's all it takes is one time to damage it. It doesn't even have a door ding on it yet and I've had it since June 09.

I will offer to pay my daughter to wash it, I'm sure she won't do it like I want it done but if she gets the bugs and most of the dirt off before I cover it, I guess I can live with that.

Russ
OHIOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ Hunsaker View Post
... I will offer to pay my daughter to wash it, I'm sure she won't do it like I want it done but if she gets the bugs and most of the dirt off before I cover it, I guess I can live with that.

Russ
Then teach her! If she's willing to learn, tell her that one day it may be hers.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:14 PM   #14
DetailAddict

Drives: .
i would definitely get it wash by a detailer... even if you have to pay to get a basic package done. storing be dead bugs etc is not going to be good for the paint...

hope you get better soon!
DetailAddict is offline   Reply With Quote