Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Motorsports Discussions

Old 04-19-2014, 08:49 PM   #15
MTCobra

Drives: 2014 ZL1
It would be nice if GM Customer Service chimed in on these matters rather than just thanking people for buying advertised track capable car.

This seems like a policy issue corporate GM could address very quickly.

Personally I don't think autocross is particularly hard on cars.
MTCobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 03:38 PM   #16
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
The fact this even has to be debated is what bothers me. You sell a car advertising it's superiority in track/racing but won't back it up NOR disclose it to buyers. Find out in the fine print AFTER an issue arises. Yeah. GM politics can be shady at times.
They are simply protecting themselves from self-professed "racers". I'm sure you've been to track days...seen what some people will do to their poor cars.

The Camaros 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 were designed and tested as "track-ready". But that doesn't mean they were designed to be abused.

But how do you word that in a warranty? "Manufacturer reserves the right to deny coverage if abuse is suspected?" IMO, that'd piss more people off than the existing situation...before any tracking was attempted.

For every one car that's been denied coverage, I've got to say I've seen 10 more who were warranted after damage at a track.

May I ask...this car...was anything modified on it?

As a pseudo "appeal"...the owner may try contacting Chevy customer service...and explaining the situation. Perhaps they are more in touch with the expectations of the Camaro driver, than your dealer is. (I know the one I take mine in for service refuses to put anything higher than DOT3 brake fluid in...even if I buy it!)
Old 04-20-2014, 08:46 PM   #17
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
From a corporate stand point, I can understand why Chevy/GM limits warranty claims when evidence of "tracking" is clear. I have seen in real life and on this board some insane mods and baloney that get returned to "stock" for a dealership complaint.

That said, the 1LE is a serious package and they should stand behind some usage for it's purpose IMO.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 PM   #18
BigBlock69RS
Ed

Drives: 2013 AGM Camaro 2SS/RS/1LE
There is a difference between being on track (hpde) and competiton or other timed event on track.

The later is not covered, the first is since its with instruction learning how to drive your car how it was intended without other cars, pedestrians or cops, so the warranty cannot be voided anymore than it could be by flooring from a stop light.
Old 04-21-2014, 12:17 AM   #19
tw78911sc

Drives: 14 1SS Camaro 1LE, NPP, Recaros
hard to argue this

Current ad and many of those product do not violate warranty, like 1LE suspension, brakes, etc..Where do they think people are going to use this stuff? They are suggesting if not telling, at the road course!
Attached Images

tw78911sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM   #20
maddoggyusa

Drives: 2013 Camaro Dusk 2SS/6
I don't understand why the ZL1 and 1LE would have different warranties?? If so, that's B.S.
maddoggyusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 02:31 PM   #21
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddoggyusa View Post
I don't understand why the ZL1 and 1LE would have different warranties?? If so, that's B.S.
They don't. All Camaros have the same warranty.

However...the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 models are advertised as "track ready" cars. Which means that they have passed the most rigorous forms of performance and abusive testing imaginable, including the 24-hour track test. As such, it's been stated in the past that if something were to break on an UNMODIFIED 1LE, ZL1, or Z/28 during performance driving (Not Competitive Racing), the powertrain warranty would be honored at dealerships.

But that is not written out explicitly...because some people, unfortunately, equate abusive driving with performance...and Chevy protects themselves from being defrauded by not putting it in writing.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:48 PM   #22
Synergy SATX
Mike and Debbie

Drives: 2014 Corvette Stingray 3LT Z51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
They don't. All Camaros have the same warranty.

However...the 1LE, ZL1, and Z/28 models are advertised as "track ready" cars. Which means that they have passed the most rigorous forms of performance and abusive testing imaginable, including the 24-hour track test. As such, it's been stated in the past that if something were to break on an UNMODIFIED 1LE, ZL1, or Z/28 during performance driving (Not Competitive Racing), the powertrain warranty would be honored at dealerships.

But that is not written out explicitly...because some people, unfortunately, equate abusive driving with performance...and Chevy protects themselves from being defrauded by not putting it in writing.
No mods in this car. Driver changes fluids at or exceeding recommendations for tracking. Only does Autocross. Seasoned driver with several years experience. Chevy shot him down. Claimed he abused car in competition. If you go HPDE and have tranny issues then good luck to you. They looked at his issue and instantly proclaimed him abusive. He elevated to Chevy and was shot down. As someone stated, this isn't my 1LE, he used a different dealership then mine. It really isn't my issue. I just take exception to the ads and the lack of coverage. I asked Mustang owner and he checked his "track packed" Mustang and his warranty is solid...no verbiage about tracking voiding it. Go the Autocross threads and see several more instances. Aggravating. Like I said. I am looking at buying used from now on, find a reputable garage and just mod there without worry of warranty ever again. Financial gurus say that is better way to go anyways.
Old 04-21-2014, 04:39 PM   #23
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
It sucks that they advertise it as a track car, but a short trip to the track will void the warranty!! Tell me whats the difference between driving fast on the streets or on a track? This whole thing is shitty and GM is the worst company with their warranty.

In the end guys, its always the same story; truth DO NOT pay. Protect your ass and do not tell anything your dealer. Its the business world; nobody cares, they just want your money.

Good luck, I hope GM will honor the warranty on a car that is advertised as a 'track ready car' but wont honor warranty for it.

If ever that happens to me, I will never buy a GM again and tell everyone on every forum how GM treat their customers.

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 04:55 PM   #24
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I knew a guy who once bought a Mach 1. The car was being driven like a Mach 1. The kid driving it slammed the gears so hard his shifter broke. It was definitely the driver's fault. I'm not saying the 1LE driver was all wrong, but that side is certainly something to consider.

That kid never admitted fault, instead claiming the car was crappy, which it probably was. Of course, I would never expect a person to admit that they can't drive their performance car properly.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:05 PM   #25
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy SATX View Post
I asked Mustang owner and he checked his "track packed" Mustang and his warranty is solid...no verbiage about tracking voiding it.
I just checked the warranty on my 5.0 GT. Racing voids the warranty in the Ford camp as well.
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 05:46 PM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
I just checked the warranty on my 5.0 GT. Racing voids the warranty in the Ford camp as well.
We have pretty much always known Ford didn't warranty tracked cars.. and it used to be that way with Camaro as well until ZL1 came out and now 1LE.

If I didn't know these folks personally I might be skeptical, but this really does alarm me.
Old 04-21-2014, 06:10 PM   #27
camaro-dreamer

Drives: 2013 Porsche 981S
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
We have pretty much always known Ford didn't warranty tracked cars.. and it used to be that way with Camaro as well until ZL1 came out and now 1LE.

If I didn't know these folks personally I might be skeptical, but this really does alarm me.
Hmm, I wonder if the advertisements for those cars violate the FTC Truth in Advertising Standards. http://www.ftc.gov/ftc-policy-statement-on-deception
camaro-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro-dreamer View Post
Hmm, I wonder if the advertisements for those cars violate the FTC Truth in Advertising Standards. http://www.ftc.gov/ftc-policy-statement-on-deception
This particular case is what confuses me, because I know they are repairing cars that have been tracked. There is the dealer component in here as well.