Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-22-2009, 07:14 PM   #57
MaroMike

Drives: 2008 CHallenger SRT8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
...I was staring past the Challenger at a couple of Mustangs for a few minutes....to be brutally honest....then I saw a G8......but the point stands: The Dodge couldn't hold my attention!!
Truth be known boss, there's gonna be a lot of peeps who are die hard Camaro fans who are gonna complain when it finally hit's the ground and they see it in person.........it's all subjective.

I kinda like the G8.
Ludwig Classic Maple D/Bass Zildjian Overhead

AMERICA, Home of the Free, Because of The Brave
MaroMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 08:09 PM   #58
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMike View Post
Truth be known boss, there's gonna be a lot of peeps who are die hard Camaro fans who are gonna complain when it finally hit's the ground and they see it in person.........it's all subjective.
Let me start off by saying I absolutely respect your opinion on the Dodge. It's not a bad car by any means. And the above, I was just kidding around...I really did walk around it, in it...etc. I paid close attention.

Then...if what you're saying above is that there are gonna be a lot of Camaro fans who won't like the Camaro when they see it in person...then you couldn't be further from the truth. One or two...sure. And if you're looking for pure retro...then the Camaro's not for you. But not a single person on this forum has come back from seeing the car in person with a poor review. Not one. It's a beautiful, aggressive design on-screen...and seeing what they've accomplished in the flesh is absolutely breathtaking.
Old 01-22-2009, 08:30 PM   #59
kevin2323

Drives: challenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
It's a boat compared to today's standards.
That is my last comment on this thread
the SS is a boat compared to todays standard as well then....3900lbs
the gt500 is as well...3900+lbs
kevin2323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #60
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:

If memory serves it weighed around 4400 lbs. I put fatter tires all the way around on nicer wheels, and that beast as we called them, would lay rubber with no prob when you stomped on it.

The 9C1 police package was a big step up from stock, that's what the SS was derived from. But even then, most peeps in our club went to Hotchkis springs and sway bars to improve the handling. Still, that didn't make it a track competitor....
Sorry, not to be rude, but the Impala's Caprice's only weighed in at a shade under 4100 lbs (4061 to be exact). The wagons were 4476 lbs though.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:13 PM   #61
GatorBlue371

Drives: vrooooom vrooooom
Quote:
I respectfully disagree sir, not when cars are sharing platforms. If it was unique unto itself, absolutely a boat. But the Charger and 300 are the same platform.

Regards!!
two whales in a pod
"With a light touch on the brakes, run the revs up a bit. Slip off the brake and bury the throttle. There's a light chirp as tires scratch for bite. Then comes a sub-5.0-second sled ride to 60 mph. A tick over 13.0 sec. and you're through the quarter-mile. It's a rush, of course, but not overly dramatic. Try the same thing with this pair's predecessors of 1970 or so and you'll find yourself in a bit of a wrestling match. Ain't progress wonderful? Maybe yes, and maybe sometimes it's fun to wrestle."
GatorBlue371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 05:00 AM   #62
MaroMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Let me start off by saying I absolutely respect your opinion on the Dodge. It's not a bad car by any means. And the above, I was just kidding around...I really did walk around it, in it...etc. I paid close attention.

Then...if what you're saying above is that there are gonna be a lot of Camaro fans who won't like the Camaro when they see it in person...then you couldn't be further from the truth. One or two...sure. And if you're looking for pure retro...then the Camaro's not for you. But not a single person on this forum has come back from seeing the car in person with a poor review. Not one. It's a beautiful, aggressive design on-screen...and seeing what they've accomplished in the flesh is absolutely breathtaking.
I know you were kiding boss, no worries mate. By "a lot" I meant more than you would expect. And not on this forum, I'm referring to peeps who aren't car nuts like us, who don't belong to forums. Just everyday folks. BUT, I didn't mean there will be thousands of them, just more than you and I could believe.

Kinda like " you've got to be kiddin' me man, what's NOT to like?!?!?"

For the record, I'm a die hard Chevy guy who thinks the new Maro is B E A UTIFUL, and can't wait to own one. I went over to Dodge in 05 because I wasn't happy with Chevy trucks or cars at the time, looks wise. I have NEVER said I wouldn't be back. I'm back baby!!

Mikey

Old 01-23-2009, 05:02 AM   #63
MaroMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Sorry, not to be rude, but the Impala's Caprice's only weighed in at a shade under 4100 lbs (4061 to be exact). The wagons were 4476 lbs though.
Not being rude at all my friend, I was writing from memory, that's why I said "if" memory serves. Thank you for weighing in. It still was a boat.

Mikey

Old 01-23-2009, 11:56 AM   #64
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Thats what happens when you have multiple writers working at a magazine
It's not just that there are 2 writers at the magazine, although that does play into it. The OP referenced the lightning lap which is a very specific kind of test. The Challenger is just not a good match for that kind of test. However a Challenger is awesome for 'hooning' or whatever Jalopnik calls it. Romping around on regular streets doing burnouts and such.

I guess I feel for the Challenger because I have the opposite problem. I have an 09 Cobalt SS/TC. It clearly fights way above it's weight class in that competition, and it's a solid little daily driver. However on more generic tests GTI's or MS3's always win the competition because they are heavier and more refined, even though I know they'll be sucking my exhaust if there were tighter apex's between here and the grocery store.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:02 PM   #65
Speedy1975
FASTER!

Drives: Challenger Hellcat, 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I guess I feel for the Challenger because I have the opposite problem. I have an 09 Cobalt SS/TC. It clearly fights way above it's weight class in that competition, and it's a solid little daily driver.
OFF TOPIC....

I looked at one and was impressed. What's the boost on that little car set to from the factory? You tried upping it any?

Carry on.

Speedy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:13 PM   #66
TheCaptain
N7 Spectre

Drives: 14 ATS Performance 3.6L AWD
Send a message via MSN to TheCaptain
Quote:
Not being rude at all my friend, I was writing from memory, that's why I said "if" memory serves. Thank you for weighing in. It still was a boat.

Mikey
Yep, nbd (no big deal). Understeer city is all... new GM vehicles definately have this figured out now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
I guess I feel for the Challenger because I have the opposite problem. I have an 09 Cobalt SS/TC. It clearly fights way above it's weight class in that competition, and it's a solid little daily driver. However on more generic tests GTI's or MS3's always win the competition because they are heavier and more refined, even though I know they'll be sucking my exhaust if there were tighter apex's between here and the grocery store.
Isn't that the truth! I love my SS SC! She carves corners like she's on rails!
Old 01-23-2009, 01:56 PM   #67
Camaroconvert

Drives: Like a bat outta hell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallysport View Post
The Challenger represents an American muscle car. That is fact. Thus, Car and Driver will trash it, and ANY American Car. I subscribed to that rag from March 1975 til Jan 2007...I just couldn't take their Euro and Jap bias anymore. To hell with C & D. I could care less what they think.

Couldn't agree with you more, that's all i'm saying.
Camaroconvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 02:44 PM   #68
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy1975 View Post
OFF TOPIC....

I looked at one and was impressed. What's the boost on that little car set to from the factory? You tried upping it any?

Carry on.
Hehe, ok, off topic- the boost from the factory varies to maintain 260 lbs/ft. So usually it hits in the mid-teens although I'm told it will get to 21 on a hot day. I have not done anything, I'm waiting for the factory GMPD tuning kit that should be out 1st Qrtr 09.

To Rallysport and Camaroconvert: I don't want to repost it, but I just popped up a C&D quote that's very complimentary and specifically points out the Musclecar history.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote