Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 12-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #1
stros

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Any warranty claim experience with SLP, Magnuson or Edelbrock?

Has anyone had any warranty claim experience with these companies? If so have they been easy to work with?

I've been debating going with one of their superchargers and purchasing one of their extended warranties. I'm not looking to max out the horsepower on them. I'm in California and looking for a way to legally and reliably get at least 100 more rwhp out of my L99.

At this point I'm planning on sticking with their out of the box tune, a new cat back exhaust and some wider tires/wheels (in addition to the Pedders suspension mods I already have). Hence I shouldn't violate any of their warranty terms - as far I can can tell.

Thanks

Last edited by stros; 12-28-2011 at 08:20 PM.
stros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:19 PM   #2
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
This wasn't your question but I wouldn't bother with a supercharger at all if I were limited to the canned tune. They range from awful to terrible.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:42 PM   #3
stros

Quote:
Originally Posted by HufferSS View Post
This wasn't your question but I wouldn't bother with a supercharger at all if I were limited to the canned tune. They range from awful to terrible.
Thanks - that's good information to be aware of too though. Which brand in particular did you have experience with the bad tune on?
Old 12-28-2011, 05:49 PM   #4
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
stock whipple needed my fixing up but would still work ok ... just a little rich!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
I gained almost 100rwhp from the stock SCT Maggie tune when going to a custom HP Tuners dyno tune. It's a completly different car with the new tune.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:09 PM   #6
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stros View Post
Thanks - that's good information to be aware of too though. Which brand in particular did you have experience with the bad tune on?
I think as you research and see answers rolling in you will find it to be pretty universal amongst them all.

Edelbrock seems to be the worst....with Maggie and Whipple pretty much tied. Just my opinion.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 06:32 PM   #7
KeeBee

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS, 70 1/2 SS Camaro
You are going to end up spending close to or more than 10K to install a supercharger. Even with warranties you are taking a risk adding more power to an engine that was not built for that kind of power. If you have 10K to drop on a supercharger you should have 10K saved for when and if your motor goes.

Sorry if I am not answering your question. Just start saving once you put the supercharger on if you don't go with upgrading the motor at the same time.
KeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #8
stros

I updated my original post. I understand that without the custom tune, I will not get the max power out of it. That's fine with me. I'm in California and I'll be quite happy to get at least 100 more rwhp on my L99. Whichever of these companies can do this effectively and back up their extended warranties will win my business.

I've had previous bad experiences with extended warranties where they become dogfights to get anything fixed. I'm hoping that's not the case with these supercharger companies.
Old 12-28-2011, 10:08 PM   #9
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I didn't buy the Full drivetrain warranty with my Maggie. It's easier to void than the generals. However, I had the rear bearing go bad in mine. They installed a new bearing, new impellers and changed the oil and sent it back. I only paid to ship it back to them. My car was only down for about a week and a half or so and a lot of that was UPS travel time.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
If the warranty is this important, go to your dealership and have them install the SLP setup and get their warranty. Then the only issue would be is getting the dealership honor the work.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:12 AM   #11
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
That's what I did. The dealer should stand behind its work. I got SLP's pkg.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:37 AM   #12
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
People need to remember that a dealership is not a performance shop. If you are looking for warranty then get the one the S/C company sells or through your speed shop of choice
Old 12-29-2011, 10:44 AM   #13
stros

Thanks everyone. Looks like my performance shop is an SLP authorized dealer too.
SLP also claims a lot more horsepower in their package than the others. Seems like the logical choice.
Old 12-29-2011, 02:51 PM   #14
BlownChevy

Drives: 2015 1SS RS 1LE
stros, I am glad you made your decision. I wanted to clear up some misinformation I am reading in this thread for future people to view.

1) AngelSpeedFreak: I find it virtually impossible that you found almost 100 RWHP over the base Magnuson Calibration. Logic will not allow this, you either made other mechanical changes or started off with a mechanical issue that you covered up with tuning. x boost + x timing + x AFR = x Power, period. What most people do not seem to understand is the calibrations for these cars are designed to work with a box stock vehicle.

2) KeeBee: What planet are you on? 10K? Motors cannot handle it? Evidently you have not researched the topic which you are attempting to talk about. What premises are you basing your comments on?
Examples:
Callaway: this stands out in my mind first and foremost with their Corvette that has well over 100K on it. Note this is an LS3 with the TVS2300 supercharger on it.

SLP: they have spent a fortune in durability testing, they would not be able to offer the warranty that they do if they did not have the confidence in the vehicle to last.

Lingenfelter: Same as all of the above.

I have well over 150K on my vehicle all of the miles are supercharged, my wife drives a truck with 125K and a supercharger, and for the kicker I have a customer that has over 275K on his truck and he uses it for towing.

Anyone that hurts one of these Gm engines with a supercharger has abused it in some fashion.

If anyone is paying more than $7900.00 installed for JUST a supercharger to be installed is getting raped.
BlownChevy is offline   Reply With Quote