Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2011, 08:13 PM   #1
camarosoonerguy

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS Silver Ice Metallic
About to make the leap!

Hello all!

I've been a long time lurker for some time as I've been going back and forth on whether I really want a Camaro. A little about me: I live in Central Oklahoma and am a quarter century old. I've always dreamed of buying one, but I have spent the better part of the last 2 years since I've been out of college getting on a stable financial footing. Now that I think that I'm getting there (and thanks to a pretty big raise at work), I think the time is right. So I have a few questions for everyone:

I am looking at getting a 2011 1SS. From the looks of it most come with the RS package. Am I nuts to think I can get an 1SS/RS for $33K or less? Or can I get it without the RS package and not be disappointed if it means getting the price down? FWIW I've already been preapproved for my loan.

For logistical purposes and other reasons that are too long to list here, I'm am going to try and purchase one in the DFW area. From my research it looks like I will probably have the most luck getting it from Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX. Anyone had any luck with this place or any others in this area?

I've gotten a couple of insurance quotes and all seem reasonable to me (I'm averaging 700-750 per 6 months) Does this seem about right for someone my age? Also since I live in the natural disaster capitol of America I have heard grumblings that car insurance is about to rocket due to a huge amount of claims. Can anyone else in these parts chime in?

Anyway I'm sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions. This is actually the very first new car I've bought, and I just want to make sure my excitement doesn't cause me to do something stupid. I can't wait to join the ranks of permagrin!
camarosoonerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Carver1

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS LS3
$33 for a 1ss/rs is about right if it is a stripper. I am in the same boat. I'm looking at a non-rs 1ss for just over 31000 and a 1ss/rs for just around 32.5K. I like the RS, but it is a few hundred miles away and I like the color of the non-rs here locally. (inferno orange). I can add the HID and wheels later. I'll be happy either way.

Good luck!
BTW, I am also eyeballing a base LS for $21999 locally also. I could do ALOT with 10K extra, but it will always be a v6.

decisions....
Carver1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:09 PM   #4
kennyo

Drives: 2017 2SS Hyper Blue
You are gonna love going from a cavalier to an ss.I have driven a 2001 cavalier( girlfriends ex-car)before,unfortunately.
kennyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:13 PM   #5
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
RS is great to have...and FWIW I got a 2011 2SS/RS last week brand new for $36500 (which was $4k off sticker price).
Old 06-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Future MDPilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purdue2011SS View Post
RS is great to have...and FWIW I got a 2011 2SS/RS last week brand new for $36500 (which was $4k off sticker price).
Question; does it have GFX, sunroof, or A6?

And to the OP, this is my philosophy. If you can't achieve the best, then don't settle for less (meaning get the best - RS).

It's also better for resale value.

Also, with that pricing you can get what you're looking for.
Old 06-26-2011, 09:08 AM   #7
NoSyT
It's a Three Six, Vee Six

Drives: '12 AGM 2LT/RS & '14 Silverado LTZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarosoonerguy View Post
Hello all!

I've been a long time lurker for some time as I've been going back and forth on whether I really want a Camaro. A little about me: I live in Central Oklahoma and am a quarter century old. I've always dreamed of buying one, but I have spent the better part of the last 2 years since I've been out of college getting on a stable financial footing. Now that I think that I'm getting there (and thanks to a pretty big raise at work), I think the time is right. So I have a few questions for everyone:

I am looking at getting a 2011 1SS. From the looks of it most come with the RS package. Am I nuts to think I can get an 1SS/RS for $33K or less? Or can I get it without the RS package and not be disappointed if it means getting the price down? FWIW I've already been preapproved for my loan.

For logistical purposes and other reasons that are too long to list here, I'm am going to try and purchase one in the DFW area. From my research it looks like I will probably have the most luck getting it from Classic Chevrolet in Grapevine, TX. Anyone had any luck with this place or any others in this area?

I've gotten a couple of insurance quotes and all seem reasonable to me (I'm averaging 700-750 per 6 months) Does this seem about right for someone my age? Also since I live in the natural disaster capitol of America I have heard grumblings that car insurance is about to rocket due to a huge amount of claims. Can anyone else in these parts chime in?

Anyway I'm sorry for the ridiculous amount of questions. This is actually the very first new car I've bought, and I just want to make sure my excitement doesn't cause me to do something stupid. I can't wait to join the ranks of permagrin!
Talk to Eric Hall@ classic in Grapevine....here on C5 his name is SS-Eric, his website is http://ss-eric.com/ he will square you away!
NoSyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:07 AM   #8
Lethal_8
Frequent Lurker

Drives: '11 Camaro LS M6,'09 Daytona 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carver1 View Post
$33 for a 1ss/rs is about right if it is a stripper. I am in the same boat. I'm looking at a non-rs 1ss for just over 31000 and a 1ss/rs for just around 32.5K. I like the RS, but it is a few hundred miles away and I like the color of the non-rs here locally. (inferno orange). I can add the HID and wheels later. I'll be happy either way.

Good luck!
BTW, I am also eyeballing a base LS for $21999 locally also. I could do ALOT with 10K extra, but it will always be a v6.

decisions....
I went that route, and I love my LS, it's like a clean slate for mods. My monthly payment is beautiful and the V6 is faster than my old 80 z28, and my 86 Monte Carlo. Don't fall into the bullshit about a camaro needing a v8, this v6's are nothing to scoff at. Ats just my two cents.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
Black Lightning

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
A good way to be sure you won't have regrets is to get it loaded out day one. The payments won't really be huge jump, and you'll have all the RS options already there.

Got my first Camaro after I got out of school. I made sure it had everything. Never regretted that and have no idea what the payments were. I DO remember the car, though.

Go for it!

Red hood spears; Corsa cat-back exhaust; Roto-fab intake; Engine bay black/red theme; Black outs including both bowties, tail lights, tail light bezels, and side lamps; gill stripes; 35% window tints; Side SS badges; Hurst-equipped badge.
Black Lightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
Purdue2011SS
Boiler Up!! POTFH

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future MDPilot View Post

And to the OP, this is my philosophy. If you can't achieve the best, then don't settle for less (meaning get the best - RS).

its a auto. and has sunroof, but no GFX.

its a 2ss/RS so it has every single option except GFX - leather, gauge pack, stripes, RS, etc etc
Old 06-26-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
KATHY63

Drives: 2010 IOM manual 2SS
Make sure you know all the differences between the RS and the SS. We have a 2010 2SS and we love it. Very glad that we did not get the RS package. Ours cost 35,000 including stripes, IOM color (cost more) and the engine cover, and withtaxes all that good stuff.
KATHY63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #12
sunnerluver

Drives: 2011 RS/SS
Camarosoonerguy, whatever model you decide, get in touch with BeckyD@RodgersChevrolet about your purchase. Take that
from another "Sooner" here in northeast OK. I bought mine from her be=
cause of (1) no one around here came close in price, and (2) her service
during ordering through delivery. Just my .02........ Whatever you de-
cide, good luck.
sunnerluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:36 PM   #13
IROCanSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 89 IROC 350
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Future MDPilot View Post

Quote:
its a auto. and has sunroof, but no GFX.

its a 2ss/RS so it has every single option except GFX - leather, gauge pack, stripes, RS, etc etc
I know what he's getting at here...

$36,500 seems a bit high to be $4000 off sticker. I got a 2010 2SS/RS LS3 only option being stripes and its MSRP was $36,600... Now add on for the auto and sunroof, takes it to what $38,500 or so... added for the IOM and the poloshed wheels... and cost hike for the 2011... Youre up to what $39,500 or $40,000.... He could be pretty close on the $4000 off coming in around $36,500.

To the OP...

The RS package on the SS is really only the HID halo lights. The spoiler and 20" wheels are standard and who cares about the tail lights and the roof ditch. The halos are really cool. I think if you play your cards right and dont get taken for a ride, a 1SS... RS or not at $33K before ttl is doable.
IROCanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 09:52 PM   #14
sasquash1984
502 RWHP N/A

Drives: The yeti
It was $35,000 for my 2 ss with RS and auto would have been $37,765 but got $2,000 off, and got free stripes with install 2days later
factory motor factory trans, Gpi ss4 cam stock heads ported and milled, full exhaust, circle d 5c 4000 triple disk, 3:91 rear end with posi mod, cai, bmr derlin rear diff bushins, bmr derlin cradle bushins, bmr trailing arms, toe rods with bushings, and bmr anti extreme sway bar. Weld rt-s 17x5 fronts and 17X10 rears on mickey thompson et street r's
sasquash1984 is offline   Reply With Quote