Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 AM   #1
drummer5679

Drives: 2005 Infiniti G35
Long tube headers / exhaust kits Camaro SS

I don't know very much about exhaust. I've been looking at cat-back kits, axle-back kits, and the like and then came across headers. If I buy individual headers, would a cat-back kit not work? From what I understand cat-back includes everything from the catalytic converter and back as the name implies (converter, muffler, pipes and tips) but I'm not positive. Do they come with headers in them? If I bought just headers, what would I need to buy to complete the exhaust system? I won't have my car until late in the summer but I'm trying to learn as much as I can between now and then.

I've been researching long tube headers because I heard they make a great sound because I'm assuming they work as one long straight-ish pipe like straight pipes on motorcycle exhaust. I don't know what exactly I would need to buy as in a muffler, catalytic converter, and tips if I were to buy the long tube headers.

Last but not least, if anyone has any recommendations on the good brands I'd be more than willing to hear your opinions. Thanks for any help in advance.
drummer5679 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:43 AM   #2
lakersftbl69

Drives: 2010 camaro ss
Kooks headers with corsa exhaust is good it's wat I have I love it sounds awesome go o you tube and type in the search lakersftbl69 those are my videos of my car
lakersftbl69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:40 AM   #3
Apex Motorsports

Drives: 2000 Camaro SS
A cat back does not include cats. The name is a little misleading. It includes everything starting just after the cats; pipe, mufflers, tips. A cat back replaces the rear 2/3 of the entire system. Here is an example.

Headers replace the front 1/3 of the exhaust system, from the block to the cats. They often include high flow cats. In most cases you can run headers with stock or aftermarket exhaust. There are a couple of rare cases where you have to use their entire system. Here is what headers with high flow cats look like.

These two components would replace your entire system from front to back. Here is a post on our blog about selecting headers but the information is also relevant to the entire exhaust system. Also, feel free to hit me up if you have any questions. In case you were curious, the cat back and headers pictured sound like this when paired up.

Apex Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #4
drummer5679

Thank you so much I will definitely let you know if I have any questions.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer5679 View Post
No problem, that is what I'm here for.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:56 PM   #6
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
Quote:
Do a search? There are many vendors out there for exhaust systems for all types of budgets. Good luck and let us know what you get. I have a XSPower system waiting to be installed. It has the headers all the way back. Complete system minus the cats.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:10 PM   #7
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
Heres one of my favorite header and exhaust systems for the Camaro by LG Motorsports.

Old 01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #8
drummer5679

That is a nice system, RLHMARINES. I just wish I could hear it first hand rather than distorted by poor laptop speakers.
Old 01-30-2011, 04:50 PM   #9
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
drummer5679,

If you are not getting your car until the end of the summer do some research. This thread has a lot of the exhaust systems available for the Camaro. Once you have a few nailed down that you think you like start going to local shows and listen to them in person. Just start asking around on who has the exhaust you like at the shows and the folks there will point out who has what. Believe me, everyone is fairly familiar with what everyone else has. It is a Camaro thing.

Exhaust are a personal thing. Everyone has a different opinion. Know this though, headers add power but will change the sound of any cat back exhaust you put on your car. Drone will drive you right out of your car if it is bad. If you don't know what drone is yet look into it. Cat back system are for sound and add very little power, 3-5 rwhp max. L99 vs. LS3 will also affect your exhaust decision.

When you do decide don't just go by what a website price says. If you call the company you can usually get a better price. This is true with a lot of the vendors on this site.

You can see by my sig what I went with and I love it. No drone and plenty of power. Nice and docile while cruising and the ability to scare small children and old folks at WOT.

Good luck with your choice and let us know which one you choose.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
drummer5679

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post
drummer5679,

If you are not getting your car until the end of the summer do some research. This thread has a lot of the exhaust systems available for the Camaro. Once you have a few nailed down that you think you like start going to local shows and listen to them in person. Just start asking around on who has the exhaust you like at the shows and the folks there will point out who has what. Believe me, everyone is fairly familiar with what everyone else has. It is a Camaro thing.

Exhaust are a personal thing. Everyone has a different opinion. Know this though, headers add power but will change the sound of any cat back exhaust you put on your car. Drone will drive you right out of your car if it is bad. If you don't know what drone is yet look into it. Cat back system are for sound and add very little power, 3-5 rwhp max. L99 vs. LS3 will also affect your exhaust decision.

When you do decide don't just go by what a website price says. If you call the company you can usually get a better price. This is true with a lot of the vendors on this site.

You can see by my sig what I went with and I love it. No drone and plenty of power. Nice and docile while cruising and the ability to scare small children and old folks at WOT.

Good luck with your choice and let us know which one you choose.

T.
Is asking questions like this not considered research? I've been searching google and this site every day for about 2 weeks and still had a few questions left unresolved. If a Camaro specific forum with tons of members isn't the best place to ask and learn, I apologize.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:40 PM   #11
2SSNOS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Stainless Works

I have Stainless Works headers with the chambered mufflers. I always get compliments on how it sounds even from the Ford guys!
2SSNOS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:55 PM   #12
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23
Quote:
Is asking questions like this not considered research? I've been searching google and this site every day for about 2 weeks and still had a few questions left unresolved. If a Camaro specific forum with tons of members isn't the best place to ask and learn, I apologize.
Oh absolutely!!! I was not trying to bash but merely trying to give you a few more options for your research. Maybe I should have used that word in my original post. Just trying to help you out.

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:08 PM   #13
Apex Paul

Drives: Wagon Queen Family Truckster
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSNOS View Post
I have Stainless Works headers with the chambered mufflers. I always get compliments on how it sounds even from the Ford guys!
Those SW headers and retro mufflers sound awesome. There are a lot of good combinations out there. As said above, a lot has to do with personal taste, from mild and mellow all the way to something that sounds like the thunder of an angry God. I lean toward angry.
Apex Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:33 PM   #14
Apex Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSNOS View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex Paul View Post
Those SW headers and retro mufflers sound awesome. There are a lot of good combinations out there. As said above, a lot has to do with personal taste, from mild and mellow all the way to something that sounds like the thunder of an angry God. I lean toward angry.
That rocks. I salute you, sir!