Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 AM   #1
linc400

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th anniversary convert
Auto dimming mirrors

Is there any way to shut off or disconnect the auto dimming mirrors? Now that it gets dark at 5 pm, the mirrors turn black as soon as I start my car and remain that way the entire 40 minute drive home. I've almost gotten in accidents a couple of times because if the headlights are not in the mirror, you cannot see anything at all.
linc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
nyrfan
Let's go Rangers!

Drives: 13' AGM 2SS/RS L99
If I am not mistaken, this can be shut off through the radio setup options.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #3
DeAdMiKe187

Drives: Black 2012 2LT
They can't be disabled in the options, but you can put something over the sensor so that the sensor never detects bright light, and thus, never dims the mirror.

At first, I had an auto-dimming mirror that malfunctioned. Once it dimmed, it would stay dim no matter what. I got it swapped out, and now it only dims if there is bright light behind me. As soon as there is no light behind me, the mirror quickly goes back to normal.

Maybe you have the same issue?
DeAdMiKe187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:02 AM   #4
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
hmm. I've often wondered if mine work at all...
Old 11-14-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
TDevilsG

Drives: 2013 2LT Victory Red LFX
They are certainly not very useful in my opinion. They only seem to activate when it is twilight/getting dark outside, so it just makes it even darker than it was before. Very difficult to see things. I would prefer probably just not to have them at all.
TDevilsG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:41 AM   #6
SSFury
My Road Rage is Legendary

Drives: 2011 IOM 2SS/RS "Fury"
Strange. I think they are the coolest thing ever. The side mirror combined with the inside mirror.. I'll never have to squint/ block the mirror again on those dark nights.

I have never tried it (cause I love tham as is..), but it doesnt sound like blocking the sensor would work. They start auto-dimming when there is a lack of light.. (darkness). So in theory, wouldnt blocking the sensor create 24 hrs of darkness? Seems like they would always be on if you did that. Dont know. Not trying either. Sorry you dont like the function, I just add it to the list of one of the many reasons why our cars are so amazing.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #7
linc400

I would prefer to just not have it as well. I looked through the owners manual, and nothing showed how to turn it off. I suppose I can check if there is any way to shut it off through the radio. Couldn't hurt to check.

Maybe there is something wrong with it, but I drive in constant traffic, so there are always many cars behind me with lights on, so I am guessing this is why it never shuts off.
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 AM   #8
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSFury View Post
Strange. I think they are the coolest thing ever. The side mirror combined with the inside mirror.. I'll never have to squint/ block the mirror again on those dark nights.
This. I refuse to buy anything without them!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #9
GMTool
MY SS is SOLD

Drives: AGM 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by linc400 View Post
Is there any way to shut off or disconnect the auto dimming mirrors? Now that it gets dark at 5 pm, the mirrors turn black as soon as I start my car and remain that way the entire 40 minute drive home. I've almost gotten in accidents a couple of times because if the headlights are not in the mirror, you cannot see anything at all.
I wish mine worked that good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCraig View Post
I have wondered that also. But they work no different than other cars I have had with this option. My side mirror works good but I always have it aimed to see the car in the blind spot. Dont get their direct headlights too much.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 PM   #10
eggydoo

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
same here..my side mirrors get dark, but the inside mirror barely gets dark where I get blinded by the trucks/suvs.
eggydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
JustCraig

Drives: 07 Super Bee #587 & 07 Tahoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
same here..my side mirrors get dark, but the inside mirror barely gets dark where I get blinded by the trucks/suvs.
This.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
linc400

Just checked. There is no way to turn it off through the radio.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Mr. iNCREDIBLE

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by eggydoo View Post
Quote:
This.
you guys have tinted back windows?

the sensor for the drivers side mirror is different than the inside mirror sensor, if you have tinted rear windows then yeah the inside mirror won't dim.

my inside mirror dims great with the top down, not so much with top up as rear window is limo tinted..

as for turning off. get a piece of black elecetrical tape and tape up this white sensor on the back side of the mirror:

Old 11-14-2012, 03:57 PM   #14
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. iNCREDIBLE View Post
you guys have tinted back windows?

the sensor for the drivers side mirror is different than the inside mirror sensor, if you have tinted rear windows then yeah the inside mirror won't dim.

my inside mirror dims great with the top down, not so much with top up as rear window is limo tinted..

as for turning off. get a piece of black elecetrical tape and tape up this white sensor on the back side of the mirror:
Wrong sensor. The way they work is if the mirror senses more light coming in through the rear then there is coming in through the front. If you tape the front sensor the mirror will think it's always dark outside and will always dim. What you need to do is cover the sensor facing the rear.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote