Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #29
Number_9

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianRocky View Post
Glad to hear you accepted it was wrong and worked on it and sorted it out. I am also glad to hear that no one was injured when you made the mistake.
+1.

Number_9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:32 PM   #30
SSRider

Drives: Black 2SS RS M6
First off let me explain that auto insurance is regulated at the State level and California can seem to operate like it's own country at times. Now here are some things you should be aware of: There are generally two types of companies. Do not confuse this with two brands like Allstate and State Farm. The two types are called Standard and Non-Standard. Most large insurance companies like the two mentioned above have both types. The non-standard company will have a rate that is normally about double of that in the Standard company. The non-standard companies usually insure the higher risk persons until they are less risky then they are moved to the Standard Company (also called preferred company). So find out which type of company you are in now. Next, does your insurance company know that you have been charged with a DUI? Most Standard insurance companies do not run motor vehicle reports on a regular basis because it costs to much money for them to do this. You may need to shop around at many carriers because they will vary on how they underwrite a risk. What I mean by this is evaluating you as a risk and accepting you as a certain risk before a rate is even considered. An example of this would be that company X will underwrite you using the last 36 months of your driving history whereas company B will use 60 months of driving history to underwrite you. Does this make sense? Also be aware that there are many factors that go into an individuals auto rate such as: driving history (MVR), claims history (C.L.U.E. report), credit history, zip code where garaged, miles driven, type of miles driven (to work, student, pleasure etc...) type of vehicle driven etc. On top of all that there are 200 plus proprietary variables that insurers vary on how they use them to underwrite. Examples are:years at current residence, married, single, divorced, kids, years on the job, spouse work and so many more, I think you get it. Things you can do to improve your rate are: 1. Time: get older (get married) and keep the driving record clean 2. Good Credit: stay informed about your credit history (rating/score) and monitor it at least annually for errors and strive to improve it as much as possible. 3. The Car: Drive an insurance friendly car like a chevy Malibu (hey I dont make the rates here I'm just a messenger) 4. Zip Code:Move to a cheaper rated Zip Code.
I know what your thinking........ WTF
So when you are shopping find a good local agent that you can feel comfortable speaking with openly and honestly. DO NOT HIDE THE WEENEE it will only cause you a major problem down the road if a claim pops up. So be honest and sincere and expect the same from your agent. You may need to consider an Independant Broker/Agent who will have the ability to work with many carriers. Hope this helps and happy shopping

I thought I would add in that I have been and Auto Insurance Agent as well as having worked in Corporate for a combined total of 16 years (one of the largest auto insurers in the country).

Last edited by SSRider; 06-13-2009 at 12:07 PM.
SSRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 09:09 PM   #31
domano 68

Drives: 2014 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
Sorry to hear about your DUI conviction.
You gotta be kidding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
Don't drink and drive........just a thought...
LOL!!
Reminds me of the movie Liar Liar - Jim Careys line when his client asked him for advice, "Don't break the law a%%%%%"
Old 06-11-2009, 10:35 PM   #32
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
To the OP- check Esurance and Geico. You also don't need to have the highest level of coverage. You can lower it until your record clears and still pay close to what a normal driver does with higher coverage.

One thing I've noticed is the amount of unforgiving folks in here, and that's fine. Everyone makes mistakes though, yes even you...unfortunately some arr worse than others. If you don't learn your lesson the first time then to hell with ya' but I'll give just about everyone a second chance if nobody is harmed. But to each there own, I'm not here to preach but I will point something out.

It's easy for everyone to hate on the DUI folks because it's the popular thing to do, and maybe they deserve it. Well if you hate on them without forgiveness you can start hatin' on your elderly parents too if they're over 65. http://www.dailypaul.com/node/89589

Don't take this personal, I'm just pointing out some facts. People who run red lights kill but only get a $68 ticket. 36% of teen fatalities are auto related, 50% of those happen while they are driving at night. Should parents be held responsible for letting their teens drive at night? The only bad drivers in the public eyes are the drunks, everyone else can be forgive...I guess I just don't get it?

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:15 PM   #33
kdoske
Waiting For My 1SS/RS SIM

Drives: Sold My Lancer, now carless :/
Quote:
Originally Posted by domano 68 View Post
You gotta be kidding!
What, can't feel bad for the guy for being convicted of drunk driving? Its a bad mistake but it still sucks pretty bad. Well, not as much as the Alabama Crimson Tides but bad nevertheless.
2000 (dealer received allocation):
2500 (order preferenced):
3000 (accepted to production):
3300 (scheduled for prod):
3400 (broadcast):
3800 (produced):
4000/4B00 (available to ship/bayed):
4200 (shipped):
4300 (intermediate, may be multiple):
kdoske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:55 PM   #34
pruettfan

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS / 2011 Z28
Hope it costs you 10 times what it usually would have to pay. You should do jail time.
pruettfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:40 AM   #35
H3LLJumper

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS VIN#11184
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdoske View Post
What, can't feel bad for the guy for being convicted of drunk driving? Its a bad mistake but it still sucks pretty bad. Well, not as much as the Alabama Crimson Tides but bad nevertheless.
Back off! ROLL TIDE!
H3LLJumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 02:24 AM   #36
snsdiver72
IPA in Iraq

Drives: Traverse, Titan, Crown Vic PC
Send a message via Yahoo to snsdiver72 Send a message via Skype™ to snsdiver72
Well I really do not think anyone was getting on their soapbox per se. Yes I agree people do make mistakes and some learn from them and others do not. I have been a Deputy Sheriff for almost 12 years and believe me I have seen my fair share of those people making the same repeated mistakes and the others that learn after it. But I guess the biggest thing that was initially intended from some of us (and I may be speaking out of line) simply replying to the OP was that noone should feel pitty or sympathy for someone that gets a DUI. Typically a mistake is something you might not have intended to do, but in fact did do. A DUI is a conscience decision to put your life and others on the line when you commit to it. How can I say conscience decision, well here is the simple fact, when you left home or where ever to hit the bar or where ever you were going to drink at, more than likely you were not intoxicated when you left and therefore now know the consequences of the future if you do not have a plan of action, ie taxi, designated driver or plain and simple walk.. How is that for the soapbox stance!!
Old 06-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #37
camaroshaun

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS1 (in 2009)
First off I know people who have had multiple DUI's and just never learn. Too those I agree that they should never be allowed to drive a car. However nobody on this forum knows any of the details of what happened in my case nor should they except that nobody was hurt and I was not in an accident. In fact I have never been in an accident my entire life! Too some of us hear we have said many times that a mustang would see our taillights. Does this not put anybody else on the road at risk when you race on the street? I had already said that I had learned from my mistake 4 years ago and have never driven while drinking since. I will not drive even if I have had 1 drop of alcohol. I did not post for sympathy for I do not need it or deserve it. I posted for help on finding an affordable insurance rate. We are all entitled to our own opinion and have reasons for them. I'm sorry to those of you who are perfect and do not make mistakes in life. Too those of us who have lost loved ones to people drinking and driving my prayers are with you.
camaroshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #38
illestdomer2005

Drives: 1990 Honda Accord
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroshaun View Post
First off I know people who have had multiple DUI's and just never learn. Too those I agree that they should never be allowed to drive a car. However nobody on this forum knows any of the details of what happened in my case nor should they except that nobody was hurt and I was not in an accident. In fact I have never been in an accident my entire life! Too some of us hear we have said many times that a mustang would see our taillights. Does this not put anybody else on the road at risk when you race on the street? I had already said that I had learned from my mistake 4 years ago and have never driven while drinking since. I will not drive even if I have had 1 drop of alcohol. I did not post for sympathy for I do not need it or deserve it. I posted for help on finding an affordable insurance rate. We are all entitled to our own opinion and have reasons for them. I'm sorry to those of you who are perfect and do not make mistakes in life. Too those of us who have lost loved ones to people drinking and driving my prayers are with you.
My brother got a DUI as a freshman in college. He was below the legal limit, but it's zero tolerance so... In any event, he got a non-adjudication which might actually be a complete wipe (at least as far as insurance companies are concerned), and I don't believe his rate went up that much.

What you could try is checking one of the online quotes and seeing what your rate would be with and without your DUI. When going through the questions of how long you've driven, what car, etc., it will ask you about your driving record, and you can evaluate the difference.
illestdomer2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 11:46 AM   #39
Georgie

Drives: Camaro... soon
if its a non conviction there is a good chance insurance won't see it. just follow this advice guys: a $200 hotel room is always cheaper than a $2000 DUI
Old 06-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #40
CanadianRocky
Convertible GonnaBe 4/11

Drives: Chrysler Aspen Hybrid
I would be willing to bet that the biggest difference between him and most of the rest of us is that he got caught.

"Let those without sin cast the first stone".

It is time for eveyone to shut up, and help him with his insurance. Me included.

After all, he is a Camaro owner right? He is one of us and he should be treated as such.
Old 06-12-2009, 05:52 PM   #41
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaroshaun View Post
Hey guys I was just wondering if anybody has had a DUI conviction or know of someone who has and how much they are paying insurance on a SS. Regretably I had a DUI about 4 years ago and am now 29 years old with no other traffic violations. Does anybody have an idea of how I can get the cheapest insurance possible. I do have a beater that is insured already and was thinking of putting my SS as a weekend driver on the policy. Do you think that would be best? Any other Ideas are welcome.
Weekend driver or not, your insurance cost for the 2010 Camaro will be very high due to your DUI conviction. I hope you are buying the new Camaro outright and just get the minimum insurance coverage required by law. If you are financing most of it, and will have monthly payments, I hate to imagine your combined monthly car payment and car insurance payment. Sorry, I know you don't want to hear that but I have a friend who was convicted on DUI and paying $350/month (from $120/month before DUI) for car insurance on a 2009 Mustang GT that he is making $450/month payment on.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 06:01 PM   #42
tom692010
Account Suspended

Drives: 4 wheels
Um, do you still drink, cause if you do forget this car,you'll end up dead or someone else will.
tom692010 is offline   Reply With Quote