Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-28-2008, 02:06 PM   #99
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
If you take the $$$ you save by buying a SS compared to the cost of a Shelby, you can add a few mods and kick it's ass and still have money in the bank for gas and tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wm Holden View Post
Well...I have high HOPES for your twelves...it just doesn't equate in my mind....
but time will tell...

Good luck with stock 12s is all I can say at this point.

and... I've said it before....you can always "FORCE" the car to "over perform" with a stick....but at what cost?

Hole shots, no lift shifts, all takes it's toll.
When I'm dragin' the A4...I "roll" into the pedal to reduce drive line "Shock" and pull 1.7 60 fts...11.7 quarters are hard to find.
This car should handle it just fine. GM designed the Camaro to handle at least 600lbs of torque. (although GM says they have no plans for a Z28 high HP, just my wishful thinking that the Z28 will come back later if sales go good.)

I ran the shit out of my '68, the only thing I broke was the tranny and I never drove it again. I sold it as is, then went in the army, I was 18 at the time. Back in the 70's you could get away with cruising and stoplight racing. The cops just hung around in case someone got too wild. Couldn't tell ya how many times they made me dump my beer out and get out of town for the night.

Unfortunately I had chipped a gear trying to get out of a ditch after leaving a keg party out a country road. In the process the clutch linkage dropped. So I was able to force it into gear and rock it back and forth (yes the 396 had torque to do it) till I got out of the ditch and drove home 20 miles without clutch linkage. Two weeks later when I smoked a 440 Magnum, The tranny blew up at 130 MPH. Big mistake was not cleaning out the tranny and putting a magnetic plug in. My new Camaro won't see that kind of action. Blowing that tranny probably saved my life in the long run.

All driving gradually wears on the entire drive train. Aggressive driving speeds up the process. I drive a little more conservative than I did 33 years ago, but it will be fun to bring back some of those memories.

I'm glad this battle of the muscle cars is happening again. Although laws and law enforcement is considerably different than it was in the 70's, it's nostalgic for my generation and will give the younger generations a hint of what it was like a long long time ago in another universe.

Ultimately why worry what we can do stock? It won't take much to get more out of these cars. Let's all just embrace the fact that it's actually happening. I am pumped as much as anyone.:happyanim :
Old 09-28-2008, 07:48 PM   #100
fbird777
SOM WS6

Drives: 2002 SOM Trans Am WS6
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWIweldace View Post
This car should handle it just fine. GM designed the Camaro to handle at least 600lbs of torque. (although GM says they have no plans for a Z28 high HP, just my wishful thinking that the Z28 will come back later if sales go good.)

I ran the shit out of my '68, the only thing I broke was the tranny and I never drove it again. I sold it as is, then went in the army, I was 18 at the time. Back in the 70's you could get away with cruising and stoplight racing. The cops just hung around in case someone got too wild. Couldn't tell ya how many times they made me dump my beer out and get out of town for the night.

Unfortunately I had chipped a gear trying to get out of a ditch after leaving a keg party out a country road. In the process the clutch linkage dropped. So I was able to force it into gear and rock it back and forth (yes the 396 had torque to do it) till I got out of the ditch and drove home 20 miles without clutch linkage. Two weeks later when I smoked a 440 Magnum, The tranny blew up at 130 MPH. Big mistake was not cleaning out the tranny and putting a magnetic plug in. My new Camaro won't see that kind of action. Blowing that tranny probably saved my life in the long run.

All driving gradually wears on the entire drive train. Aggressive driving speeds up the process. I drive a little more conservative than I did 33 years ago, but it will be fun to bring back some of those memories.

I'm glad this battle of the muscle cars is happening again. Although laws and law enforcement is considerably different than it was in the 70's, it's nostalgic for my generation and will give the younger generations a hint of what it was like a long long time ago in another universe.

Ultimately why worry what we can do stock? It won't take much to get more out of these cars. Let's all just embrace the fact that it's actually happening. I am pumped as much as anyone.:happyanim :
Other than drinking and driving, to that post.
fbird777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:32 PM   #101
o2camaross

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS & 04 silvy
Quote:
Well...I have high HOPES for your twelves...it just doesn't equate in my mind....
but time will tell...

Good luck with stock 12s is all I can say at this point.

and... I've said it before....you can always "FORCE" the car to "over perform" with a stick....but at what cost?

Hole shots, no lift shifts, all takes it's toll.
When I'm dragin' the A4...I "roll" into the pedal to reduce drive line "Shock" and pull 1.7 60 fts...11.7 quarters are hard to find.
I know guys in 4th gens with a stall and boltons running better than 11.7's easily. Im not knocking your car but somethings not adding up if you do indeed have 600 hp. it it flywheel hp or rwhp? Anyway the SS manual shouldnt have a problem hitting 12's stock in my book. I would even go as far as saying 12.8's
o2camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:44 PM   #102
69 Hugger

Drives: 69 Convertible Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mblock66 View Post
I think you are nit picking a littttle much lol.
I second that,
69 Hugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:22 PM   #103
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
but time will tell...
That's all I would ask....stupid waiting game!!!
Old 09-28-2008, 10:33 PM   #104
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Quote:

750 rwhp means more than 600ftlbs of torque in an ls engine
Old 09-29-2008, 09:52 AM   #105
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Lets try to put this into perspective. As a former 2004 Cobra owner (eventually modded to 509rwhp / 520rwtq) ..

Stock, people got those cars to run mid-high 12s at 110 - 113mph .. That was with 390/390 and a car weight of about 3665lbs ..

If the camaro puts down the advertised HP/TQ (which I bet it will and then some) but is at about 3850lbs or so .. I think it should run high 12's at about 110 or so with a good driver.

Also, there is a big differnce (at least w/ ford) between the live axel and the IRS setup. It seemed to me with the IRS I could get a lot better traction with higher hp/tq numbers. Even when I was a 520rwtq .. I could put it down pretty well. I did however upgrade from the stock 275s to 305s on 18x10 inch rims ..

Crowley
Crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 03:07 PM   #106
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
750 rwhp means more than 600ftlbs of torque in an ls engine

horsepower sells cars.

torque wins races.

Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 10:14 PM   #107
CWI
Helping Build America

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,LS3 2013 Duramax 3500HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbird777 View Post
Other than drinking and driving, to that post.
Like I said it was 1976. I was 17 yrs old. I also said blowing that tranny probably saved my life. I was pretty wild back then and thought I had the world by the balls. A few months after that I was in the army jumping out of C-130s at FT Bragg. Go figure. Go all my Airborne brothers!
Old 09-29-2008, 11:17 PM   #108
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Like I said it was 1976. I was 17 yrs old. I also said blowing that tranny probably saved my life. I was pretty wild back then and thought I had the world by the balls. A few months after that I was in the army jumping out of C-130s at FT Bragg. Go figure. Go all my Airborne brothers!
parachute school

week 1. seperate the men from the boys

week 2. seperate the men from the fools

week 3. the fools jump

Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 09-29-2008, 11:47 PM   #109
storm79

Drives: 2007 GMC Sierra
k i got a question though, but i wonder if he said the auto as in not using tap shift or if he meant using tap shift controls, because i thought TAPshift was always faster than a manual in most cases anyways
Old 09-30-2008, 12:06 AM   #110
headpunter

o-60 is probably going to be only one shift so there isnt going to be much difference between the paddles and the normal auto
Old 09-30-2008, 12:13 AM   #111
headpunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
horsepower sells cars.

torque wins races.

i forgot i was just saying with how the LS v8 engines run that a 750hp LS v8 would have more then 600 ft lbs of torque.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:41 AM   #112
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
i forgot i was just saying with how the LS v8 engines run that a 750hp LS v8 would have more then 600 ft lbs of torque.

and it all means nothing if you cant get it to the ground.

case in point
346hp LT1 - 11.8 seconds 1/4 mile

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: