Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-13-2008, 07:45 PM   #1
balonywolf

Drives: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Send a message via AIM to balonywolf
Power Steering - hydraulic or electronic steering?

I didn't really see a thread for this specific topic, so I thought I'd be safe in starting one. My question is, does anyone have a preference between hydraulic or electric steering in the Camaro? I only ask because, as I read reviews of some GM cars, I'm finding an abundance of electrically-powered steering systems. They haven't been totally negative, but it seems testers prefer the hydraulic setups. What are your thoughts on this? Personally, all I've ever really driven is my Jeep, so I have no basis for comparison between the two.
balonywolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
Scotsman
Auto Pilot

Drives: Gunmetal
Hydraulic is more natural in feel, but electric conserves more energy and increases fuel efficiency. I'd expect the Camaro to have whatever steering setup can be found in the Commodore/G8 (etc.).
Old 01-13-2008, 09:17 PM   #3
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I'd like to see EPS on V6 models, hydraulic assist on V8 models. Maybe it could even be an upgrade for the V6 in an RS package. It is a simple trade-off between steering feel and economy.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This is what my Cobalt has, as per Chevy.com:

Quote:
Speed-Sensitive Electric Power Steering (EPS)

Electronic sensors and computer controls in the speed-sensitive EPS measure and react to thousands of inputs each second, adjusting steering assistance to help provide precise control and responsiveness. The system is tuned to match the performance level of the suspension in each model.
Basically, as I understand it, the pump is an electric motor, NOT belt driven
by the engine. When you're stopped, or going slow, you have vast amounts of power steering assist, I can literally turn from 100% left, to 100% right with my pinky finger and a small amount of force.

Out on the road, it becomes slightly harder to turn as the electric motor lets off a bit. This helps aid stability.

This is NOT the most road-sensitive steering. but I feel like it's 'cleaner'. Does that make sense? It's sharper, and by no means do you not feel the road at all, it's just more distant. The fact that it can be tuned to different suspensions gives me hope that, because I have the bottom of the barrel car, it can be altered to be more sensitive to the road in cars like Camaro.

Now, the fact that it frees horsepower is almost a moot point on a V8, because it's already so powerful, that any loss to te power steering pump is negligable IMO. On I4's it's a different story.
Old 01-14-2008, 12:34 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Guess I'd have to take the EPS over hydro...just kind makes sense.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #6
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Does EPS go with Electronic Stability control? I know it monitors where the steering wheel is turned to help control oversteer/understeer, but don't know if it uses EPS to do that or some other type of sensor.
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 10:36 AM   #7
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Mazda has EPS and my old sport truck (97 1/2 ton) had Hyd. The truck was dropped with low profile tires etc. I would say that the EPS is definitely cleaner and crisper when manipulating the wheel. But the Hyd gave much better feedback from the road. Which made me more comfortable at higher speeds. I like the EPS for lower speed carving. But I feel the road much better with the hydraulic.

Example. In a high G turn (slow or fast) it is harder for me to tell when the tires are going to break loose with EPS than it is with Hyd. But, the steering wheel feels more "locked in" or "slotted" with EPS.

Note: Mazda is FWD so that my blow my logic out the window.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:05 AM   #8
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
I'd really prefer hydraulic over electric assisted. If you don't get electric assisted right it could be a disaster in steering feel. The new BMW Z4 had that exact problem and really hurt sales IMO. Would also prefer non-drive-by-wire throttle. Ever drive a 350z? The pedal feel is completely fake it's like driving a video game car.

Basically I just hope that steering and throttle aren't overly assisted in the Camaro. Too bad it seems like most manufacturers are going this way though :(
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:15 AM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
My wife has it on her 2.5 Jetta and I like the feel. She likes how tight it is at faster speeds and at low speed the effort is pretty minimal. If it's simpler than hydraulic, I'm down.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #10
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
My wife has it on her 2.5 Jetta and I like the feel. She likes how tight it is at faster speeds and at low speed the effort is pretty minimal. If it's simpler than hydraulic, I'm down.
I'm not sure it's simpler. My understanding is the Electric assist is in addition to the hydraulic. So now you have two systems working together. But I think EPS is a proven system. I really think it comes down to if you like how it feels.

I'd just assume the Camaro be more of a traditional hydraulic PS car.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 01:24 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtahvit View Post
I'm not sure it's simpler. My understanding is the Electric assist is in addition to the hydraulic. So now you have two systems working together.
My Cobalt has EPS (Electric Power Steering). There's no power-steering pump accesory driven by the engine. So, primarily - it frees up some power. It's an electric motor as opposed to a belt-driven one. Only one 'system'.
Old 02-28-2008, 04:47 PM   #12
Jak

Drives: 03 Dodge Dakota
I've never had a vehicle with electronic steering, doesn't that mess with your feel of the road?
Jak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 04:57 PM   #13
bouncertime
Miller High Life

Drives: 2021 Camaro LT1, 2017 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jak View Post
I've never had a vehicle with electronic steering, doesn't that mess with your feel of the road?
I also have a Cobalt like Dragoneye and you don't loose any feel of the road. But the Camaro is a heavier car and will probably need the hydraulic power steering.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:22 PM   #14
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Actually EPS does lose a lot of road and steering feel over hydraulic systems. Its fine on cars like the Cobalt because no one buys those with steering and road feel a high priority anyway, but on the Camaro stuff like that can be a problem.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote