Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 10-15-2013, 08:34 AM   #141
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
TEASER PHOTO

These showed up earlier this week, but I figure I would add them to my build thread:

PRC 255cc LS3 6 bolt cylinder heads (milled to 66cc chambers)
I just purchased an LS3 Intake Manifold from a member on the forums, which I should receive later in the week, and then it will be sent off to get ported by Lethal Racing.
Awesome!!!!!
Old 10-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #142
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
I am roughly two weeks away from making a 6 hour trip to PCM of NC to get my cam and heads install done. Today I ended up getting my head bolts, head gaskets, and Joe Gibbs LS30 oil. So far the cheapest I've seen LS30 at is on Jegs, because of the free shipping. AC Delco oil filter and GM valve cover gaskets are the last two things I'm missing off of my checklist.

The sad thing is, I bought some valve cover gaskets off Jegs two weeks ago, and they shipped out to my home address right after I left TN to come to Virginia for school for two months, lol. Now I have to order another set, ahh well.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #143
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
I am roughly two weeks away from making a 6 hour trip to PCM of NC to get my cam and heads install done. Today I ended up getting my head bolts, head gaskets, and Joe Gibbs LS30 oil. So far the cheapest I've seen LS30 at is on Jegs, because of the free shipping. AC Delco oil filter and GM valve cover gaskets are the last two things I'm missing off of my checklist.

The sad thing is, I bought some valve cover gaskets off Jegs two weeks ago, and they shipped out to my home address right after I left TN to come to Virginia for school for two months, lol. Now I have to order another set, ahh well.
Nice. At least it was something more serious than valve cover gaskets
Old 10-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #144
LS3 SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Nice. At least it was something more serious than valve cover gaskets
Very true! On a positive note, Jegs has to be one of the fastest shippers of performance and repair parts in the states. I ordered those parts yesterday, and they will arrive tomorrow evening!
Old 10-23-2013, 09:18 AM   #145
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Very true! On a positive note, Jegs has to be one of the fastest shippers of performance and repair parts in the states. I ordered those parts yesterday, and they will arrive tomorrow evening!
Excited for you man, cant wait to see how yours turns out and I really cant wait to do mine.

Im a little less nervous after researching and talking to my dad about how to avoid what happened to that guy who must have installed his cam a few degrees off.

My dad is a master mechanic, since I moved out and got my own house I havent had him help me with anything on my cars, but I think ill try to entice him to come over when I do this.

Dont know what to bribe him with, he is on a diet and doesnt like beer.
Old 10-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #146
LS3 SS

Quote:
Excited for you man, cant wait to see how yours turns out and I really cant wait to do mine.

Im a little less nervous after researching and talking to my dad about how to avoid what happened to that guy who must have installed his cam a few degrees off.

My dad is a master mechanic, since I moved out and got my own house I havent had him help me with anything on my cars, but I think ill try to entice him to come over when I do this.

Dont know what to bribe him with, he is on a diet and doesnt like beer.

Thanks man, I'm definitely looking forward to it, as well as seeing the end result of your build!

Maybe you can get your dad something sports related to get him to help you, lol
Old 10-24-2013, 08:39 PM   #147
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
Thanks man, I'm definitely looking forward to it, as well as seeing the end result of your build!

Maybe you can get your dad something sports related to get him to help you, lol
Haha, either that or he will make me come help him work on his house or something haha.

Whats the timeframe for your install/tune and everything
Old 11-08-2013, 04:29 PM   #148
LS3 SS

Well, finally after stockpiling thousands of dollars worth of Cam parts, it's done. PCM of NC started wrenching on her Monday morning, and finished tuning Friday morning. The final results were 498 rwhp and 446 ft lbs of torque. The car sounds awesome from the videos I have seen, but I have not picked her up yet. I will be making a trip from VA to NC tomorrow morning to seal the deal, and definitely enjoy a nice cruise back!

Attached Images

Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #149
LS3 SS

Old 11-08-2013, 06:10 PM   #150
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Old 11-23-2013, 03:09 PM   #151
LS3 SS

I just came back from Richmond Dragway this morning. They were running a Test N Tune starting at 11 am. I didn't have a helmet, but I met an older man with a 10 second CTS-V that was nice enough to let me borrow his so I could run. Needless to say, my first pass was my best pass of the day, and everything else got worse from there. I definitely learned a valuable lesson today : Do suspension mods first before you tear into the motor.

I had a horrible case of wheel hop whenever I powershifted into second gear. A few times, I actually had to let out of 2nd gear, and hit it again just to stop the wheel hop. I thought I was going to end up breaking something if I didn't. My best pass was a 12.45 @ 114, cutting a 2.0 60ft. My highest trap of the day was 116, but I know the car is capable of trapping way higher than that. Overall I'm somewhat pleased, but I know I got some work to do. More seat time, some 18'' drag radials, and suspension mods, and I'm 100% positive I can cut atleast a 1.8-1.7 60ft, and get my ET down to around 11.50 or better. Here is my best time slip, the rest aren't even worth looking at :
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2013, 05:15 PM   #152
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Quote:
I just came back from Richmond Dragway this morning. They were running a Test N Tune starting at 11 am. I didn't have a helmet, but I met an older man with a 10 second CTS-V that was nice enough to let me borrow his so I could run. Needless to say, my first pass was my best pass of the day, and everything else got worse from there. I definitely learned a valuable lesson today : Do suspension mods first before you tear into the motor.

I had a horrible case of wheel hop whenever I powershifted into second gear. A few times, I actually had to let out of 2nd gear, and hit it again just to stop the wheel hop. I thought I was going to end up breaking something if I didn't. My best pass was a 12.45 @ 114, cutting a 2.0 60ft. My highest trap of the day was 116, but I know the car is capable of trapping way higher than that. Overall I'm somewhat pleased, but I know I got some work to do. More seat time, some 18'' drag radials, and suspension mods, and I'm 100% positive I can cut atleast a 1.8-1.7 60ft, and get my ET down to around 11.50 or better. Here is my best time slip, the rest aren't even worth looking at :
You can definitely get a 1.8 60ft with some practice. Hell my best 60ft was 1.970 at c5 fest.

Trap is awesome to show what it can do, you will be in the mid 11s! And when I posted my slips from c5 fest, I got a bunch of good advice mostly on cooling down/operating temp and launching.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311527
Old 11-23-2013, 08:06 PM   #153
LS3 SS

Quote:
You can definitely get a 1.8 60ft with some practice. Hell my best 60ft was 1.970 at c5 fest.

Trap is awesome to show what it can do, you will be in the mid 11s! And when I posted my slips from c5 fest, I got a bunch of good advice mostly on cooling down/operating temp and launching.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311527
Thanks man!! I will take all those points into consideration!
Old 12-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #154
LS3 SS

It's going to be a very BUSY and productive winter for me. I finally returned home from 2 months of being at a military school, and I made sure that my credit card remained active during those 8 weeks lol.

I found out the hard way, by running a 12.4 @ 114 mph with 498 rwhp and 446 rwtq, that suspension upgrades are critical in making sure you can utilize the power that you have and get it to the ground. So in learning that hard lesson, I ordered the following :

BMR Full poly rear cradle bushings
BMR Toe rods
BMR steering rack bushings
JDP Motorsports/Pfadt Upper control arm bushings (Pre-pressed)

I already have BMR trailing arms, and outer trailing arm bushings, so this setup will almost complete my rear suspension setup and definitely help me to avoid wheel hop and keep the rear end planted.

I also got a hold of a spare intake manifold which I will be sending off to GPI to have it ported/modified to pick up a little more power.

Even though it's not in the picture, I got a killer deal on a ZL1 front end conversion that I couldn't pass up, so I had to get a ZL1 fog light harness from GEN5 DIY.com so I can use the H11 lower fog lights. I still need to buy the LED H11 bulbs and send the front bumper off to get painted.
Attached Images