Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 05-21-2012, 12:04 PM   #85
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
^I'm sorry; I hear you but I'm just not feelin' the ZL1's advantages. Results are results, and right now Ford has the ball. Not even talking about the economic advantage with the same base price and the absence of the gas guzzler tax.

I do not want to say that Chevy can't respond, as they are quite capable of doing so. However, I have my fears that they may not do squat. That leaves the choice of either defecting to Ford or just not buying.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:12 PM   #86
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbls1 View Post
^I'm sorry; I hear you but I'm just not feelin' the ZL1's advantages. Results are results, and right now Ford has the ball. Not even talking about the economic advantage with the same base price and the absence of the gas guzzler tax.

I do not want to say that Chevy can't respond, as they are quite capable of doing so. However, I have my fears that they may not do squat. That leaves the choice of either defecting to Ford or just not buying.
these post are all about perspective.

the Gt500 has a better quarter mile time and no gas guzzler which is cool. the base price is minus the performace pack which you must have to really be apples vs apples. then the Gt500 costs more.

there is no way the base suspension is going to handle as well as a ZL1 I don't think the PP will even but that remains to be seen.

To me the Gt500 doe snot look better but looks are subjective.

when I read statemets like "ford has the ball" it makes me lauch because car companies are in busniness to sell cars. Right now chevy outsells ford in the segment so for the point of making cars "chevy still has the ball"

from the persective how makes a muslce car that has the best quarter mile time Ford has the ball but has had it since 2011. GM equaled it for about 2 months.

this has not prevented them from selling more car though. Same way mustang used to outsell camaro's yet they were slower from say 98-2002.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 12:14 PM   #87
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:

Sorry but the whole thing makes no sense ... The Camaro is not the flagship car of Chevy, the ZR1 is. Ford on the other hand has all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

It seems to me it's mainly the younger crowd that have thin skin and are insecure about their man hood. I for one am very content where I'm at and have nothing to prove to anyone.

Hail Retirement !!!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:18 PM   #88
lbls1

^#86, The zl1 and gt500's comparison will not be based on sales. Both cars will surely be judged by their performance. There will not be any escape from the obvious mismatch in performance. Two cars that start at roughly the same base price (If MT is correct), but with one car having a sizeable power and performance advantage, will bode well for the faster car in the comparison (as i see it).

Old 05-21-2012, 12:20 PM   #89
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Sorry but the whole thing makes no sense ... The Camaro is not the flagship car of Chevy, the ZR1 is. Ford on the other hand has all their eggs in one basket so to speak.

It seems to me it's mainly the younger crowd that have thin skin and are insecure about their man hood. I for one am very content where I'm at and have nothing to prove to anyone.

Hail Retirement !!!
Again....the corvette top dog card. The ZL1 came into the market as an answer to the gt500, and the gt500 responded soundly. Unless chevy responds, no rationalization will be able to mask the appearance of a mismatch between the two cars with the same performance theme.

Old 05-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #90
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Again....the corvette top dog card. The ZL1 came into the market as an answer to the gt500, and the gt500 responded soundly. Unless chevy responds, no rationalization will be able to mask the appearance of a mismatch between the two cars with the same performance theme.

Dude ... Just down the hall, last door on the left you will find the Ford camp. Knock yourself out !!!
Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM   #91
Modern07
Mid-Florida Camaro Club

Drives: 2019 ZL1 on Order
Quote:
^#86, The zl1 and gt500's comparison will not be based on sales. Both cars will surely be judged by their performance. There will not be any escape from the obvious mismatch in performance. Two cars that start at roughly the same base price (If MT is correct), but with one car having a sizeable power and performance advantage, will bode well for the faster car in the comparison (as i see it).
Must have missed the GT500 laptimes...

For future reference, Greater Power DOES NOT neccesarily = Greater Performance, and Performance DOES NOT = 1/4 Mile Times Only
Old 05-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #92
2ndCamaro79

Drives: 2014 V-Sport/ 2015 Escalade
They got us in a straight line, I don't think they can hold there own on a track, but I could be wrong. I just want Chevy to add HP or offer a upgrade with warranty. The reason for this is, I just don't care for the Mustang. I had a 2005 GT and it felt shabby, the Camaro feels like a better built car. So if my SS feels like a solid car I can't imagine the ZL1. For those of us who can't afford a ZR1 a little HP bump would be nice.
2ndCamaro79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:25 PM   #93
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Look, Chevy has often said they want to delight the customer, so if its possible, I would really like a pulley and tune that carries a 3/36 warranty if installed by a dealer. Not dissapointed in any way with my ZL1--in fact its AWESOME!! but I would gladly pay for a 50-100 HP upgrade and they could roll a warranty charge in it!!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:27 PM   #94
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Why are we going through the SAME arguments time and time and time again???
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #95
lbls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlingShot View Post
Dude ... Just down the hall, last door on the left you will find the Ford camp. Knock yourself out !!!
Why don't you take that walk?? After you....

Old 05-21-2012, 02:11 PM   #96
99firehawk
Order in on 13' ZL1 vert

Drives: 1999 Firehawk Convertible
From my perspective it is the entire package.

Does anyone really need more power than the ZL1 offers for the street? Who cares if the Ford has slightly more......if you are going to the track regularly AND have the right launch skills (along with many other factors) you MAY loose to a GT500 once but I think it will be darn close each run.

If you don't live at the track, it comes down to how enjoyable the car is as an all round vehicle that you can live with and love the looks.

I have a boosted car with 650 RWHP/720 TQ now and it can be too much for the street at times......especially when there is any hint of moisture on the road. Not too many spots where you can utilize all that HP these days without risking loosing your license.

I am buying a ZL1 because of how it is was engineered as a complete package ....... and the looks and fit of the Mustang just don't work for me (to each his own).

It is nice to have choice and options to customize your vehicle as you want but for me, the ZL1 is just right and other than maybe a CAI and cat-back down the road, she has all the power I will need . A 500 RWHP car that can handle the twisties is pretty sweet . Nice job Chevy
99firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:17 PM   #97
nanokpsi

Drives: Ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
these post are all about perspective.

the Gt500 has a better quarter mile time and no gas guzzler which is cool. the base price is minus the performace pack which you must have to really be apples vs apples. then the Gt500 costs more.

there is no way the base suspension is going to handle as well as a ZL1 I don't think the PP will even but that remains to be seen.

To me the Gt500 doe snot look better but looks are subjective.

when I read statemets like "ford has the ball" it makes me lauch because car companies are in busniness to sell cars. Right now chevy outsells ford in the segment so for the point of making cars "chevy still has the ball"

from the persective how makes a muslce car that has the best quarter mile time Ford has the ball but has had it since 2011. GM equaled it for about 2 months.

this has not prevented them from selling more car though. Same way mustang used to outsell camaro's yet they were slower from say 98-2002.
I think all of these "in order to be comparable to the ZL1" talk about getting the GT500 with the optional packages. Over here in reality, somone could walk into a Ford dealer, pay 55k for a gt500, and spank the Z on the street for less money due to no GG tax. Chevy needs to offer the Z equiped simlarly to the base GT500 and under cut its price. Just offer it witht eh 1LE suspension and get rid of the coolers. IMHO that is more feasible/realistic than bumping the power untill the next car comes out. Plenty of buyers will buy these cars and never use the handling capabilies of it. Far more will be wishing and modding for more under the hood.
nanokpsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #98
BrazenBeast
ZL1 #1745

Drives: 2006 Pontiac GTO \ 2012 ZL1
I just don't get why the 2012 model chevy is being compared to the 2013 model ford. Seems kind of biased to me. Chevy had to rush this thing into production with a limited budget. They were behind from the hold on z28 development back in the dark days. To be fair the 2012 zl1 should be compared to the 2012 gt500. Now chevy may not make any changes for 2013 and still get one upped, but they aren't even being given the chance before being bashed by unequal year comparisons. I think 2014 will be the year for chevy to fire back because of more time to develop but its hard to tell what ford will do then. Smartest thing chevy can do for 2014 is wait to release hp until after ford this time so ford doesn't have time to one up them again. End of rant. On another note I like the shelby and considered buying one.
2012 zl1 Black #1745 Black Wheels ECF Suede 6 spd

BrazenBeast is offline   Reply With Quote