Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #1
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
Dual Mode (NPP) Exhaust Issue

Was wondering if anyone else has had issue with their NPP exhaust.. the valves wont open like they're supposed to after revving past 3,500.. i'm still in the break in period and the highest I've revved is near 5,000rpm and nothing.. once I hit 1,500 ill try getting it near 6,000.. They're open at idle and when the car is off but afterwards stay closed..

I've searched and couldn't find anyone with this issue on a Camaro but I have seen one other person experiencing this on a vette..

i'm going to have it checked out on Saturday but I was hoping that maybe someone might have some info.. if possible I would love to fix it myself or outside a dealership as my past experiences with dealerships lead me to believe that they suck and don't care for the most part and I don't trust them at all. twice ive been to a dealership where the employee would toy with my car.. maybe they expected me to sit at the desk while they go out and drive it, but my Camaro is my baby and I always watch how they handle it as much as I can.

I bought my Camaro on May 25 and I've 1,450 miles on it.
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #2
Phidelt59

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
I haven't had any issues on mine. I have about 3,300 miles on it now and it still sounds great throughout the rev range. The only issue I am having is with the hurst shifter I got factory installed. It gets real notchy between 1st and 2nd gear when it's cold after the car has been sitting for several hours.
Phidelt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 06:44 AM   #3
Tara Martin
Loves Camaros

Drives: Red '79 Z28, '21 Red Hot M6 ZL-1!
I've never had a problem with my NPP, but I pulled the fuse anyway and it's open all the time now. Frankly, I didn't notice much of a change. Especially at speed, I don't notice a change in volume. I guess someone outside or following me might notice a difference...

Tara

Tara Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #4
GAHDOOSH
GAHDOOSH

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS
My research suggests that after 3,500 RPM they are supposed to close, silencing any rasp that may come out. If this is the issue you are having, there is an easy fix. Below is a link with details on how to remove the fuse that closes those flaps at higher RPM's. It takes about five minutes and I think you'll like the difference.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268970

2016 1SS 6.2L LT1 Manual 6-Speed, Front Emblem Blackout, Rear Bowtie Delete, Side emblem delete, Phastek Side Marker Tint, GM Black Taillights, $23.57 of Premium Gas this morning

GAHDOOSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #5
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieG View Post
Was wondering if anyone else has had issue with their NPP exhaust.. the valves wont open like they're supposed to after revving past 3,500.. i'm still in the break in period and the highest I've revved is near 5,000rpm and nothing.. once I hit 1,500 ill try getting it near 6,000.. They're open at idle and when the car is off but afterwards stay closed..

I've searched and couldn't find anyone with this issue on a Camaro but I have seen one other person experiencing this on a vette..

i'm going to have it checked out on Saturday but I was hoping that maybe someone might have some info.. if possible I would love to fix it myself or outside a dealership as my past experiences with dealerships lead me to believe that they suck and don't care for the most part and I don't trust them at all. twice ive been to a dealership where the employee would toy with my car.. maybe they expected me to sit at the desk while they go out and drive it, but my Camaro is my baby and I always watch how they handle it as much as I can.

The Camaro setup is different than the vette. it should be closing around 2k and staying closed to well over 3k only opening when you get close to 4K+
To test you should pull the fuse and see if you are just expecting too radical of a note change.

Stock with my DM on I could barely tell at all when it opened up at 4K.

Now that it is modded it is MUCH bigger of a difference.

I'm betting it is working and you are expecting more volume than the stock headers and cats will allow.

also have someone else sit in the car with you behind it.. hold it in the 2-3k range then gradually move it out with you behind. I'm betting you will hear it.

Inside the car the 13 has AMAZING noise insulation and even with an exhaust that will deafen people directly behind me with the DM on and the windows up no stereo or AC on the car is super quiet inside. but behind is loud as hell.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post
My research suggests that after 3,500 RPM they are supposed to close, silencing any rasp that may come out. If this is the issue you are having, there is an easy fix. Below is a link with details on how to remove the fuse that closes those flaps at higher RPM's. It takes about five minutes and I think you'll like the difference.

actually the DM on the camaro closes at around 2k and opens back up at that RPM.
it has a much different function than the Corvette version.

you can easily hear this on a modded car much easier you can literally hear the valves close and open.
530/520 SAE
Old 06-06-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
RonnieG

Drives: 2013 AGM 1LE/2SS/RS
thanks for the replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phidelt59 View Post
I haven't had any issues on mine. I have about 3,300 miles on it now and it still sounds great throughout the rev range. The only issue I am having is with the hurst shifter I got factory installed. It gets real notchy between 1st and 2nd gear when it's cold after the car has been sitting for several hours.
it's been warm down here in florida but I've also ran into the nochy issues.. on my v6 it went away after around 6,000 miles.. with me the nochiness seems to happen more frequently after its been sitting for a while.. it doesn't want to go into first or reverse smoothly.. i'm hoping it will disappear after some time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tara Martin View Post
I've never had a problem with my NPP, but I pulled the fuse anyway and it's open all the time now. Frankly, I didn't notice much of a change. Especially at speed, I don't notice a change in volume. I guess someone outside or following me might notice a difference...
Tara
hmm.. this might make me try it out then.. from what other have posted I thought not to since it seemed like it would be crazy loud.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAHDOOSH View Post

thanks for the link!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
The Camaro setup is different than the vette. it should be closing around 2k and staying closed to well over 3k only opening when you get close to 4K+
To test you should pull the fuse and see if you are just expecting too radical of a note change.
Stock with my DM on I could barely tell at all when it opened up at 4K.
Now that it is modded it is MUCH bigger of a difference.
I'm betting it is working and you are expecting more volume than the stock headers and cats will allow.
also have someone else sit in the car with you behind it.. hold it in the 2-3k range then gradually move it out with you behind. I'm betting you will hear it.
Inside the car the 13 has AMAZING noise insulation and even with an exhaust that will deafen people directly behind me with the DM on and the windows up no stereo or AC on the car is super quiet inside. but behind is loud as hell.
Judging from youtube videos, my v6 with dual mode, and revving it high on the road and in idle, i'm led to believe there's a problem with it.. if it is working normally i'm super disappointed and buying the borla atak.. but as a betting man, i'd put money down that its not functioning as it should... I was super satisfied with this exhaust on the v6 but the sound change just isn't there with this one..
anywho, I will be pulling the fuse before I bring it to the dealership to check, however I will need it to close and fix the issue since i'm moving to NY and the cops are ticket happy when it comes to loud exhaust.

Last edited by RonnieG; 06-06-2013 at 03:19 PM. Reason: left out a part
RonnieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 05:00 PM   #8
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:

RonnieG,

Truly sorry to hear about the exhaust. Please keep us updated on the diagnosis at the dealer on Saturday. Appreciate it!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 PM   #9
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
Phidelt59,

Same courtesy extends to you if a dealer visit is in the works to have this addressed. Let us know how the car continues to operate!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
Old 06-06-2013, 05:18 PM   #10
cottrellj2
Blue Ray SCPO

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Pulling the fuse on a NPP just makes it sound like a regular aftermarket exhaust IMO. You hear it all the time, but softly. You may notice more burbling or popping when you coast to a stop. I like it myself.
Old 06-06-2013, 05:58 PM   #11
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Quote:
it's been warm down here in florida but I've also ran into the nochy issues.. on my v6 it went away after around 6,000 miles.. with me the nochiness seems to happen more frequently after its been sitting for a while.. it doesn't want to go into first or reverse smoothly.. i'm hoping it will disappear after some time

hmm.. this might make me try it out then.. from what other have posted I thought not to since it seemed like it would be crazy loud.

thanks for the link!

Judging from youtube videos, my v6 with dual mode, and revving it high on the road and in idle, i'm led to believe there's a problem with it.. if it is working normally i'm super disappointed and buying the borla atak.. but as a betting man, i'd put money down that its not functioning as it should... I was super satisfied with this exhaust on the v6 but the sound change just isn't there with this one..
anywho, I will be pulling the fuse before I bring it to the dealership to check, however I will need it to close and fix the issue since i'm moving to NY and the cops are ticket happy when it comes to loud exhaust.
V6 cant compare to the V8 version at all not even close.
the V8 is much more smooth sounding..
but I sure as hell would not trade it for Borla..

I did pull the fuse day 1 as it was not that much a difference stock. mainly becasue you cannot hear it in the car due to how well the car is insulated.
others especially with stock old style complement it stock.. and like I said you really have to be behind the car to truely appreciate how loud the NPP is and how it changes.
but once you go LT headers.. holy crap does the DM/NPP come alive and become truly useful and EVIL sounding.
People stop my all the time and ask what exhaust I have now and never believe me when I tell them it is stock.
530/520 SAE
Old 06-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
Phidelt59

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
Phidelt59,

Same courtesy extends to you if a dealer visit is in the works to have this addressed. Let us know how the car continues to operate!

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care
I am taking the car in on Monday morning for the notchy shifting. I also just developed a rattle/squeaking noise from the passenger side when I go over bumps. I will update and let you know what they find.
Phidelt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #13
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Quote:
I am taking the car in on Monday morning for the notchy shifting. I also just developed a rattle/squeaking noise from the passenger side when I go over bumps. I will update and let you know what they find.
Appreciate the response Phidelt59,

Definitely sorry to hear about the concerns. Please keep me updated and don't hesitate to send me a PM with what happens at the dealership.

William R.
Chevrolet Customer Care