Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 07-23-2012, 02:56 PM   #225
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Here's another thought. What if........
In addition to getting the OP back up and running in a short period of time to put and end to his frustration and get the issue taken care of, perhaps GM also wanted to get their hands on his old engine so they can take it back to the lab to investigate the oil seepage more in depth for engineering purposes?

In that case, just replacing the engine is a win win for both the OP and GM.

Plus it may help GM figure out what went wrong so they can be on the lookout for the problem/failure in the future as well as make whatever engineering/production changes neccessary to prevent someone else from having the same issue.

Just a thought.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:58 PM   #226
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Drives: 2012 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1
Progress

I was informed by the dealership today that the motor swap is taking longer than expected because the crate motor that was delivered is a CTS-V LSA. The Service Manager said the oil pan from the old motor needs to be transferred. I was wondering if anybody knows a more specific list of differences between the CTS-V LSA and the ZL1 LSA. It seems like this ZL1 is going to be quite unique.

Also, someone asked about my ZL1 VIN number. It is #1526. I would like to keep tabs on it if in fact someone purchases down the road.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM   #227
armysig
Catch me if you can

Drives: 2012 IOM ZL-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAM ZL1 View Post
I was informed by the dealership today that the motor swap is taking longer than expected because the crate motor that was delivered is a CTS-V LSA. The Service Manager said the oil pan from the old motor needs to be transferred. I was wondering if anybody knows a more specific list of differences between the CTS-V LSA and the ZL1 LSA. It seems like this ZL1 is going to be quite unique.

Also, someone asked about my ZL1 VIN number. It is #1526. I would like to keep tabs on it if in fact someone purchases down the road.

Does the CTS-V LSA get built the same? Does it go through the Deck plate honing process like the ZL-1 LSA? If not that would be a huge concern.
Old 07-23-2012, 04:32 PM   #228
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
One of my friends is a service manager. I just called him and asked him to look up a ZL1 engine. He said there is a note on that part number that says to swap over the - oil pan, oil deflector, oil pickup, and balancer for Camaro applications.

So they should have known at time of ordering that those items need to be swapped over and ordered any needed gaskets/orings to come in with the engine.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 05:15 PM   #229
rwb2035

Drives: 2004 Grand Prix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
One of my friends is a service manager. I just called him and asked him to look up a ZL1 engine. He said there is a note on that part number that says to swap over the - oil pan, oil deflector, oil pickup, and balancer for Camaro applications.

So they should have known at time of ordering that those items need to be swapped over and ordered any needed gaskets/orings to come in with the engine.
rwb2035 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 12:51 AM   #230
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:

Will it have 24 less horsepower & 5 lbs. less of torque too?

Last edited by Bad@ssCamaro; 07-24-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 AM   #231
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad@ssCamaro View Post
Will it have 24 less horsepower & 5 lbs. less of torque too?
The extra HP over the CTS-V is due to the intake, exhaust, and supercharger differences. The long block should the same, except as mentioned.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 02:31 PM   #232
imstillhere
Account Suspended

Drives: saturn
hope everything works out for you cam.
imstillhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:19 PM   #233
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Update

Yesterday the service department completed the re-assembly, and performed a more extensive test drive.

I drove it for several hours and sure enough more oil coming from the same relative area as before.

Fourth attempt now and finally GM is sending some engineers to oversee the issue.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:42 PM   #234
Rob07002

Drives: Pro-Touring 1969 Camaro RS/SS Vert
Quote:
Yesterday the service department completed the re-assembly, and performed a more extensive test drive.

I drove it for several hours and sure enough more oil coming from the same relative area as before.

Fourth attempt now and finally GM is sending some engineers to oversee the issue.
Wow! I am so sorry you are going through this. And this is happening with a new replacement motor? 100% it's motor oil and nothing else? I would start by looking what was reused. Didn't you have to use your old oil pan? What else? To have 2 new motors do the same thing is against the odds. Defective oil pan gets my vote.
Rob07002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:52 PM   #235
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Survey

What I am hearing from the Service Manager, Service Technician, and my own thinking, is that in periods of high internal pressure (5,000 RPM+), the oil pressure in the motor or something associated with the excess of boost from the supercharger is causing oil to leak from one or more of the seals.

How many people here have actually driven their ZL1's close to the point of full throttle red line shifts ("like you stole it")?
Old 07-26-2012, 03:57 PM   #236
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
What I am hearing from the Service Manager, Service Technician, and my own thinking, is that in periods of high internal pressure (5,000 RPM+), the oil pressure in the motor or something associated with the excess of boost from the supercharger is causing oil to leak from one or more of the seals.

How many people here have actually driven their ZL1's close to the point of full throttle red line shifts ("like you stole it")?
Many many times...4000 miles later and it's bone dry underneath....

Did they give you an time estimate for a field engineer?
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #237
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
This is really terrible.

I know it's not what you want, but it maybe time to see if they will buy it back or get you a '13.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 04:12 PM   #238
CAM ZL1
CAM ZL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Many many times...4000 miles later and it's bone dry underneath....

Did they give you an time estimate for a field engineer?
No word yet, I am only an hour or two North of Detroit so I would assume tomorrow. The Service Manager left it untouched so whoever needs to look at it can see it as is. Unfortunately that also means it's no farther to repaired until the engineers do arrive. I haven't had my car over a weekend in a month though so I should be used to it right.

Tags
2012, issue, oil leak, pcv, pos, problem, zl1