Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-31-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
DontTreadOnMe

Drives: Soon to be Camaro...hopefully
Cool Might be Buying Camaro 2SS...some questions though

Hey guys,
I'm a newbie when it comes to Camaro's but I know a lot about cars in terms of performance, tuning, driving etc. I have been obsessed since I was 5 believe it or not.

I am considering to get a Camaro 2SS for a car, it will be my daily driver though, and I figured since I dont trust salesmen for anything rather than figures, I should come to a Forum and ask questions.

1) I am 6'5" 270lbs - I sat in a Camaro on the lot, fit seemed pretty good, I have not taken it out for a drive because I need to...brush up on my 6 speed skills first. How do you big guys fit?

2) How are the blind spots? I hear they are a lot. Where are the blind spots in terms of location?

3) Is this car suitable for everyday driving? Comfortable? I need to drive it in the winter, it will not be a garage queen. Of course I will get winter tires and a beater set of rims. It will be driven year round.

4) How is the safety of this car? I know it has 4/5 star front ratings for the driver and passenger as well as 5/5 stars for the rollover and the side. I have a very close relationship with my parents and I worried them enough when I was younger, they are concerned about the safety of all my cars - just a quick word or two so they wont worry as much.

5) I would most likely do simple, bolt on stuff such as exhaust cutouts and intake or filter. Not going to tear into the engine because I need this car to last quite a while.

Cheers
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #2
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Daily Driver here, no complaints at ALL, no problems with blind spots, VERY comfortable, the ride is as smooth as my 04 Acura TL was, if not smoother.

Cant help you with the height/weight though as Im 5'9 210

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
ljustin293

Drives: 2010 VR CAMARO 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontTreadOnMe View Post
Hey guys,
I'm a newbie when it comes to Camaro's but I know a lot about cars in terms of performance, tuning, driving etc. I have been obsessed since I was 5 believe it or not.

I am considering to get a Camaro 2SS for a car, it will be my daily driver though, and I figured since I dont trust salesmen for anything rather than figures, I should come to a Forum and ask questions.

1) I am 6'5" 270lbs - I sat in a Camaro on the lot, fit seemed pretty good, I have not taken it out for a drive because I need to...brush up on my 6 speed skills first. How do you big guys fit?
Smaller guy here, but I know some fit easily as long as there is no sunroof
2) How are the blind spots? I hear they are a lot. Where are the blind spots in terms of location?
when you first sit in the car, yes they are bad...but once you are used to the spots you know where to look, over the left shoulder is the worst spot.
3) Is this car suitable for everyday driving? Comfortable? I need to drive it in the winter, it will not be a garage queen. Of course I will get winter tires and a beater set of rims. It will be driven year round.
I love my SS for everyday driving, I have had passengers comment on how comfortable the seats are
4) How is the safety of this car? I know it has 4/5 star front ratings for the driver and passenger as well as 5/5 stars for the rollover and the side. I have a very close relationship with my parents and I worried them enough when I was younger, they are concerned about the safety of all my cars - just a quick word or two so they wont worry as much.
hard to comment, drive safe and you should be fine
5) I would most likely do simple, bolt on stuff such as exhaust cutouts and intake or filter. Not going to tear into the engine because I need this car to last quite a while.

Cheers
hope that helps a little bit and good luck!
ljustin293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #4
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
I'm 6' and I weigh 380, I fit just fine. I have a 2SS/RS, no sun roof. It's actually a very roomy car.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #5
DontTreadOnMe

Drives: Soon to be Camaro...hopefully
I sat in a Camaro WITH a sunroof.

Does that mean without one, I will have more headroom?
DontTreadOnMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 08:57 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
I sat in a Camaro WITH a sunroof.

Does that mean without one, I will have more headroom?
Yup! About an inch or so.

As for the safety of the car -- it's a VERY robust and safe vehicle. On top of it's structure, the car comes standard with a full compliment of airbags. Search around the site for crashes and you'll see some pretty nasty ones that people walked away with scratches.

And you're going to love that Chevy V8 when it comes time to modify.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:58 PM   #7
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSOOCH View Post
I'm 6' and I weigh 380, I fit just fine. I have a 2SS/RS, no sun roof. It's actually a very roomy car.
Holy shit bro....

My Father in law is about the same and he's driven mine a couple times. Say's it's "bigger than he thought it would be" and "rides comfortably."

I"m all of 185 and 6' and I think it's fine. I daily drive it and put about 80 miles on a day. Thats why I bought it.

It's a softer and nicer ride than the wifes V6 Accord EX. After having the SS for a while now, driving her car seems spartan and uncomfortable.

Good luck and don't hesitate....great little car.

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
BlackSS831

Drives: 2008 Lexus IS350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Karma View Post
Holy shit bro....

My Father in law is about the same and he's driven mine a couple times. Say's it's "bigger than he thought it would be" and "rides comfortably."

I"m all of 185 and 6' and I think it's fine. I daily drive it and put about 80 miles on a day. Thats why I bought it.

It's a softer and nicer ride than the wifes V6 Accord EX. After having the SS for a while now, driving her car seems spartan and uncomfortable.

Good luck and don't hesitate....great little car.

-Ivan
BlackSS831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:10 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS831 View Post
Well....it's technically "midsize"...and it's certainly no Impala.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:14 PM   #10
Ivan @ Southwest Speed

Drives: '15 Z06, '01 NBM SS, '97 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackSS831 View Post
I still consider it "little" since I can feel my 7 year old's heartbeat on my back when all 4 of us go for a ride...

Absolutely not a family car or one I look forward to taking on a trip with all of us in.

But that's not what I bought it for so....I'M GOOOOOD!!!

-Ivan
Ivan @ Southwest Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 09:15 PM   #11
CamaroScotty
Account Suspended

Drives: Your new SLP Camaro!
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroScotty
Are the dealers in your area offering test drives????
CamaroScotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:24 AM   #12
PacificNWBuckeye

Drives: 2010 Taurus (company car)
I am 6'4" and go about 260. I just got to drive a V6 and V8 automatics at the Portland Auto Show and I fit great. The 6 had the sunroof, no headroom issues in either.
PacificNWBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM   #13
Jamie Mac
NCM-WINR

Drives: 2010 SS/RS IOM 2014 2LT Stingray
I've got a bad back. There have been times I was hurting and just went to the garage and sat in it for 20 minutes and come out feeling much better. Everyone has their little nitpics but other than height adjustment for the passenger seat all other comments I've seen about the seats were thumbs up. I don't know how they made a seat that fits so many people of all sizes but they did
Old 02-01-2010, 08:02 AM   #14
2Muchmark

Drives: 2013 2SS RS 1LE
Send a message via ICQ to 2Muchmark Send a message via MSN to 2Muchmark Send a message via Skype™ to 2Muchmark
Quote:

I'm 6'3" and 180 lbs, and I fit perfectly. There's lots of leg room which is rare for me. My longest non-stop drive was about 3 hours and was comfortable the whole way.

Quote:
Actually, there are none. When you first get into a Camaro it feels like there are. For example, the mirror is lower than you expect, and the side windows are wider and shorter than you may be used to. To be honest I was a little scared because I ordered my car without ever trying it first. When I got in, I thought it felt dangerous.

After about 30 minutes though, you realize that its very very well designed. Visibility "feels" less because you see less less of the sky (at least I do since I have the seat all the way back). Driving in traffic and changing lanes is a breeze. I instantly know where all the other cars are, just as easily as I would in any other car.

Quote:

Yes. It's easy on gas, very comfortable, and so far a
cinch to maintain. Have not driven it in winter though.

Quote:
Impossible to say. I feel safe, and it has a good rating and lots of safety features, but it all comes down to your own dring habits. Respect the law, other drivers, the limits of your car, and know your own abilities and you should be ok.
2Muchmark is offline   Reply With Quote