Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-12-2009, 01:27 PM   #1
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
GM To Build Battery Plant

This is HUGE!

A science project? I think not.

Quote:
GM to Open First Lithium-Ion Battery Plant
By Kendra Marr
Washington Post Staff Writer
Monday, January 12, 2009; 1:01 PM

General Motors announced today that it will open a lithium-ion battery plant in Michigan to assemble battery packs for its highly-anticipated plug-in Chevrolet Volt.

Addressing a crowd at the North American International Auto Show, GM chairman and chief executive G. Richard Wagoner Jr. said this will be the first U.S. facilty of its kind operated by a major automaker.

"We believe this will become a competitive advantage for GM and will be critical to GM's success," Wagoner said.

Initially, the battery cells will be made in South Korea by LG Chem and Compact Power -- a subsidiary of LG Chem based in Troy, Mich. -- will build the battery modules for prototype vehicles until GM's battery facility is operational.

Bob Lutz, GM's vice chairman, told reporters that GM would be open to selling these battery packs to other automakers in the future.

To date, GM has invested more than $1 billion into the Volt, a car that will be able to travel 40 miles on electricity alone. The automaker plans to sell the plug-in for between $30,000 and $40,000.

GM made the announcement about the new factory as it unveiled its strategy for improving battery technology.

The automaker plans to open a 31,000 square foot automotive battey lab in Michigan.

The company will partner with the University of Michigan's engineering college to develop automotive battery engineers.

GM also hopes to accelerate its in-house battery development by growing its electric vehicle staff to several hundred engineers this year.

"We're building a roster of battery suppliers and academic experts from around the globe, and leveraging their specialized abilities to develop battery chemistries and cell designs, as well as future automotive battery engineers," Wagoner said.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...l?hpid=topnews
Old 01-12-2009, 01:32 PM   #2
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I hope all the haters hear about this.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #3
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I hope all the haters hear about this.
This will definitely show Congress that GM intends to exceed its obligations when it comes to green policy, unlike Mercedez-Benz, which just levied incredibly high fines for being anything but green.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:23 PM   #4
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
As a U of M grad, Citizen of Michigan, Son of GM employee and lifelong GM fan, I am so happy to hear about this. They are keeping everything right in house, showing the effort where it needs to be shown, and serious about turning this company, and this country, around.
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2009, 06:46 PM   #5
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
This must be noted too, but is it just me or, is the big 3 (primarily GM) the only ones proving that electric cars don't have to be ugly? Hopefully the Converj and some of the others stay true to their designs (sorry Volt).
Old 01-13-2009, 01:03 PM   #6
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
This must be noted too, but is it just me or, is the big 3 (primarily GM) the only ones proving that electric cars don't have to be ugly? Hopefully the Converj and some of the others stay true to their designs (sorry Volt).
GM and Chrysler just employ styling departments. Honda and Toyota don't.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote