Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 11-18-2013, 01:35 PM   #85
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
It will be done, however it's like drinking a fine champagne from a beer mug.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #86
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
The problem as I see it is fine champagne is way more expensive than beer. Both let you have fun and give you a headache afterwards.

We can all probably agree that if you own a Z/28, it should be raced or the owner is missing the point.

So forgetting about the price of admission ($55-80K with ADM or more?), the Z/28 will only be for people with a good deal of disposable income. On top of that a track day is around $400. (At least the one I did was $400 including insurance, did I get taken?) This is the champagne. I guess if you can afford it, why would you want to do anything else?

The beer here is the drag strip and autocross. The Z/28 is intended for neither of the beer events but can compete in both. But you can do these events with your car for a fraction of the champagne events. In both of these events there are people just as serious as the more well heeled road trackers. And in both places there a lot of fun to be had.

So if the Z/28 is only for the elite, it loses the mojo of the original. Back in those days the Z/28 was more affordable and had a racing rep. Many more saw the drag strip than a road track. The racing success is the root of the legend. So the new Z28, even though very cool, is just an image car, not all that relevant to the grass roots of motor sports other than a poster on the garage wall. Still it is hard not to like it. I have a poster.

12.2 @ 115 in good air.
Old 11-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #87
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
So you would take a $70,000? Car that it's rearend is designed for track use and change it to 1/4 mile? You must have tons of money!
No man. But I enjoy hard launching my car. To me track car or not, it should be able to handle a hard launch. I dont mean consistenly hitting 5k+ RPMs and dumping the clutch. But every now and again hitting it with 2500-3k? why not? And no, I've never raced at the track. And def wouldnt be with a Z. Im just saying if the rearend couldnt take a hard launch and you wanted to do that, you could bulletproof the rear.

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 03:54 PM   #88
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col. Brain View Post
because people like to brag about what some magazine writer was able to run in a car
No, I want to be the one running that time. Even then bragging is shallow.

Otherwise I agree with you, who cares what magazine writers print.
Old 11-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #89

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
If it weren't for the novelty of the LS7 being in a production Camaro, I doubt there would be any interest in drag racing it.

Yes, the Z/28 is built for road courses and big tracks....How many will get used repeatedly week after week, or month after month doing that?....Not too many is my guess....Why not throw in the drags for variety?...All other makes of Camaros do that. It shouldn't soil the Z/28's image for the track one iota to be driven down the quarter mile. It's up to whoever buys one how they want to enjoy it.

The road course, the main forte of the Z/28, will be it's main attraction and get all the press and kudos. A passing interest to see how it does in the quarter mile is harmless and a non-issue, imo.
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:08 PM   #90
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Ok, maybe this will solve it. Running the Z 28 down a 1/4 mile strip would be like taking a GT500 to a road course.
Old 11-18-2013, 05:50 PM   #91

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Ok, maybe this will solve it. Running the Z 28 down a 1/4 mile strip would be like taking a GT500 to a road course.
I've seen them at different tracks on weekends. Looked like they were having a ball. And guess what?...They didn't get struck by lightening for having fun with their own cars!
90503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:39 AM   #92
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Why? The GT500 is fully capable on a road course? Why don't you ask Van at Revan racing?

if someone wants to take their Z/28 down the 1/4 there is nothing wrong with that.

if someone wants to make the Z/28 a drag car, yeah thats a different story and they need to rethink that.

I've seen Lamborghini's at the drag strip, are those people idiots for taking their cars to the strip, clearly a Lamborghini is not designed for 1/4 blasts.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 09:12 AM   #93
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
wow....you guys take this shit waaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously.

just a news flash for some of you. the Camaros that we drive...you know, the ones we take the the drag strip...they werent designed to drag race either! i know...crazy right?!?! but guess what?!? you still can go, they let you. and the craziest part of the whole thing...they dont just implode on themselves when they're launched. they hold up just fine. and they're pretty fast too. its crazy.

i know thats a lot to comprehend but just take a few minutes and think about it...it'll all makes sense.

all kidding aside, its only a matter of time before the Z/28 runs the 1320. and personally, im very curious to know what it'll run. the 1/4 mile is a great way is a great tool for those who focus on power to weight ratios. light car + big power = fast.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:23 AM   #94
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
Why? The GT500 is fully capable on a road course? Why don't you ask Van at Revan racing?

if someone wants to take their Z/28 down the 1/4 there is nothing wrong with that.

if someone wants to make the Z/28 a drag car, yeah thats a different story and they need to rethink that.

I've seen Lamborghini's at the drag strip, are those people idiots for taking their cars to the strip, clearly a Lamborghini is not designed for 1/4 blasts.
Wow, it's called sarcasm.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:25 AM   #95
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
wow....you guys take this shit waaaaaaaaaaaay to seriously.

just a news flash for some of you. the Camaros that we drive...you know, the ones we take the the drag strip...they werent designed to drag race either! i know...crazy right?!?! but guess what?!? you still can go, they let you. and the craziest part of the whole thing...they dont just implode on themselves when they're launched. they hold up just fine. and they're pretty fast too. its crazy.

i know thats a lot to comprehend but just take a few minutes and think about it...it'll all makes sense.

all kidding aside, its only a matter of time before the Z/28 runs the 1320. and personally, im very curious to know what it'll run. the 1/4 mile is a great way is a great tool for those who focus on power to weight ratios. light car + big power = fast.
So, the ZL1 was not designed for the 1/4? I wonder why they put launch control in it then, ever heard of the COPO?
Old 11-19-2013, 09:35 AM   #96
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
So, the ZL1 was not designed for the 1/4? I wonder why they put launch control in it then, ever heard of the COPO?
you think the ZL1 is designed for the 1/4 mile? seriously? with IRS you think its designed for the 1/4 mile? with Magnetic suspension? you think Launch control makes a car designed for the 1/4 mile?

heres a list of some cars with launch control...please tell me which ones are are drag racing oriented

Quote:
  • Audi R8
  • Audi TT
  • BMW M3
  • BMW M5
  • BMW M6
  • Bugatti Veyron
  • Chevrolet Corvette/ZR1
  • Ferrari 360cs
  • Ferrari 599 GTB/GTO
  • Ferrari F430/Scuderia
  • Ferrari 458 Italia
  • Lamborghini Gallardo/LP560
  • Lamborghini Murcielago/LP640
  • Lexus LFA
  • Mercedes Benz McLaren SLR
  • Mercedes Benz SL63 AMG
  • Mercedes Benz SLS AMG
  • Mitsubishi Evo Lancer Evolution/MR
  • Nissan GT-R
  • Porsche 911/Carrera/S/GT2
  • Volkswagen GTI/Golf/Rabbit/R32
and seriously? you're going to compare the COPO to the ZL1? thats like comparing the GT500 to the Cobra Jet.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:57 AM   #97
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis View Post
you think the ZL1 is designed for the 1/4 mile? seriously? with IRS you think its designed for the 1/4 mile? with Magnetic suspension? you think Launch control makes a car designed for the 1/4 mile?

heres a list of some cars with launch control...please tell me which ones are are drag racing oriented

and seriously? you're going to compare the COPO to the ZL1? thats like comparing the GT500 to the Cobra Jet.
Lol, 600 red line test launches in the zl1 and check out the advertising for it. I never compared the COPO to the zl1. Reading skills are fundamental.
Old 11-19-2013, 10:02 AM   #98
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Someone posted this:

Quote:
  • Audi R8
  • Audi TT
  • BMW M3
  • BMW M5
  • BMW M6
  • Bugatti Veyron
  • Chevrolet Corvette/ZR1
  • Ferrari 360cs
  • Ferrari 599 GTB/GTO
  • Ferrari F430/Scuderia
  • Ferrari 458 Italia