Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 11-29-2017, 02:33 PM   #1
GraySS2011

Drives: 2011 Cyber Gray 2SS 6 speed
Service Stabilititrak

I searched the Internet and there are about half a dozens answers as to why this message appears when starting the car and then disappears: MAF sensor, ABS sensor, carbon on the Pistons etc..

Does anyone have the one and only answer to why I see a message upon start up and a wrench icon "Service Stabilititrak" ?

I disconnected the battery and cleaned the Mas Airflow sensor and that did not help. I have noticed if I just flick the ignition key to the right and start the car, I see the message. If I turn the key and hold it until the the car starts, the message does not appear. I am just curious. Not the end of the world, but I would like to figure it out and need your help.

So please don't guess, if you have had this issue and found the solution please share it here.

Thank you,

Bob
GraySS2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #2
mma

Drives: 1LE
I've had it before with my VTC plugged in.. it was not fun, especially driving low speeds on the high way. If you got one, disconnect it for a bit.
mma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 03:42 PM   #3
GraySS2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mma View Post
I've had it before with my VTC plugged in.. it was not fun, especially driving low speeds on the high way. If you got one, disconnect it for a bit.
I don't have a VTC
Old 11-29-2017, 04:02 PM   #4
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I get it from time to time at start when I let my battery discharge too much.

It is possible if your battery is starting to get weak. That is the most common cause of this.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 06:14 PM   #5
mydreamcar
My Dream Car

Drives: 2011 SIM LS3 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by InFiD3ViL View Post
I get it from time to time at start when I let my battery discharge too much.

It is possible if your battery is starting to get weak. That is the most common cause of this.

This. Check your battery. These car are notorious for weird dash lights when the battery is low.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #6
muffins4all

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS
I don't know the exact cause, but my car did this when my #2 fuel injector was bad. After it was replaced I never saw the message again.
muffins4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:38 PM   #7
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Perhaps take it to one of the auto stores in your area that offer free ODB error scanning to see if it shows any codes even tho the 'check engine' light didn't come on.
Doesn't cost anything, can't hurt? If a code had been recorded, it might give a clue as to why your car show the 'service stabilitrac' light.

Other than that, since it shows your car is a 2011, I would definitely suspect the battery itself just from the age of the car.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 07:50 PM   #8
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins4all View Post
I don't know the exact cause, but my car did this when my #2 fuel injector was bad. After it was replaced I never saw the message again.
A bad injector will create a misfire. When the car detects a misfire, service stabilitrac comes on.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:37 PM   #9
muffins4all

Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
A bad injector will create a misfire. When the car detects a misfire, service stabilitrac comes on.
Makes sense. Check engine light came on as well shortly before I had it fixed.
muffins4all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 03:20 AM   #10
Gordo-D

Battery can be a common cause, see if you can "borrow" one rather than buy one just in case its not that.
Gordo-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 05:44 AM   #11
camguynj

Drives: '13 SS/RS LS3 BRM Cammed NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by muffins4all View Post
How did you find out it was a bad injector?
camguynj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 06:52 AM   #12
hesster

Drives: '10 C5 SS, '77 Bandit T/A
Ya gotta read the code(s) with a scanner tool to determine the actual root cause. With over 1000 readable codes, and many of them related to triggering a "SST" code, there is no single sure fire item that can cause it.

"The stability control and traction control warning lights can trigger for several reasons. The first step you will want to take will be to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This will tell you what about the systems is malfunctioning. The ABS system works hand in hand with the traction control and it may have more to do with the ABS system then the traction control. Due to the lights flashing on and off, you may simply have a loose connection or wire. The service tire monitor is realistically the most important warning. If the tire monitoring system is failing on one or more tires, the traction control and stability control systems will not have the input from that sensor to make calculations. Start by having the vehicle scanned, and use that information to help the diagnosis."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173650
hesster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 09:38 AM   #13
GraySS2011

Thanks to all who took the time to reply. A little background: the car only has 14,500 miles on it. I suppose anything is possible and a fuel injector could be bad. But with that mileage? I replaced the battery last year with an OEM AC Delco. But, I don't drive the car every day. This time of year in the North east, maybe every two weeks. So it is possible the battery depletes somewhat. I just hooked up my trickle charger to it and it indicated it only had a 45% charge. When it hits 100% I will try it again.

Since the message only appears for a couple of seconds and does not remain on the DIC, I am pretty sure there is no code in system. I might take it to Auotzone to let them scan it. I heard they do it for free.

For the hell of it, can someone just try this start technique: just flick the ignition key to the right and release it? It is a proper way to start it. Won't hurt anything. Then respond back and let me know if you see the same message I see?

Thank you,

Bob

Last edited by GraySS2011; 11-30-2017 at 10:12 AM.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:40 AM   #14
GraySS2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesster View Post
Ya gotta read the code(s) with a scanner tool to determine the actual root cause. With over 1000 readable codes, and many of them related to triggering a "SST" code, there is no single sure fire item that can cause it.

"The stability control and traction control warning lights can trigger for several reasons. The first step you will want to take will be to have the vehicle scanned for diagnostic troubleshooting codes. This will tell you what about the systems is malfunctioning. The ABS system works hand in hand with the traction control and it may have more to do with the ABS system then the traction control. Due to the lights flashing on and off, you may simply have a loose connection or wire. The service tire monitor is realistically the most important warning. If the tire monitoring system is failing on one or more tires, the traction control and stability control systems will not have the input from that sensor to make calculations. Start by having the vehicle scanned, and use that information to help the diagnosis."

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=173650
Thank you