Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 10-31-2012, 05:42 PM   #15
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I'd say a combo of cooler drier air making your car respond optimally and the tires and road being harder.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:47 PM   #16
z28-conv

Drives: '97 z-28 conv. 2013 BRM ZL1 conv.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Because with anything other than full-summer tires...the car could not perform like the $55,000 it costs.

I've been driving it every day in 45-50º around here, lately...in the wet at those temps, too...you just need to be careful for the first few minutes of driving. Once they warm up, it's not bad at all. Also - PTM mode 1 (in the wet and pre-warm tires) helps a lot!

Always be mindful of the driving conditions, like any other car!

How do you prewarm the tires? My car should be here any day now so I will need to know. Im sure if you understand how the tires react to the different temperatures and road conditions (Not snow or ice) you can drive the car like any other. Just dont FLOOR IT when the tires are cold!
z28-conv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 05:51 PM   #17
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
How do you prewarm the tires?
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

I should have just said "cold". With cold tires, or wet conditions, PTM 1 limits torque so the rear end won't jump out from beneath you if you hit the gas a little hard...after you drive a little and warm them up a bit - they're much more sticky.

A better idea is - like you said, become familiar with the car, and the road conditions and drive appropriately.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:10 PM   #18
pumpkinrancho
COMPULSIVE CAMARO OWNER

Drives: 18 ZLE,14 2ssrs,96,73 RS LT,69&67
The Grand Sport I traded in on the ZL1 had Goodyear Eagle F1 supercars (not G2's) like on the ZL1 and they were much easier to live with. I can't believe how slippery these tires are. When they are bald they are gone.
Old 10-31-2012, 06:40 PM   #19
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by z28-conv View Post
How do you prewarm the tires? My car should be here any day now so I will need to know. Im sure if you understand how the tires react to the different temperatures and road conditions (Not snow or ice) you can drive the car like any other. Just dont FLOOR IT when the tires are cold!
Actually it's really inexpensive. Bout 25.00 at any auto parts store. Just walk in and ask for their least expensive tire warmer. They all work about the same.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:31 PM   #20
z28-conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Sorry, I didn't mean it like that.

I should have just said "cold". With cold tires, or wet conditions, PTM 1 limits torque so the rear end won't jump out from beneath you if you hit the gas a little hard...after you drive a little and warm them up a bit - they're much more sticky.

A better idea is - like you said, become familiar with the car, and the road conditions and drive appropriately.
Well Thank you Mr. Wyndham. That helps alot. I think I may rent a car when the snow comes.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:32 PM   #21
z28-conv

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
Actually it's really inexpensive. Bout 25.00 at any auto parts store. Just walk in and ask for their least expensive tire warmer. They all work about the same.
Thanks PQ. I will check into that.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:55 PM   #22
DrkPhx

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 / 2006 TB SS
I've had mine out in 40 F weather and as noted above they are very slippery. Reminds me of drag radials; super sticky in hot weather, hockey pucks in cold weather. They're also noticeably louder as well.

Quote:
How do you prewarm the tires?
A quick mini burn out helps warm them up quicker, otherwise it will take several minutes of regular driving to warm them up. Another option is you can do quick "S" turns like race drivers during caution laps, but I don't recommend that on the street.
DrkPhx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
ZL1 TIBS

Drives: 1968 Camaro, 2012 ZL1
I think the easiest way to handle the winter time is to get SS sized wheels and shod them with winter tires. I picked up a set of SS wheels for $400 and they are having General G-Max tires installed on them as we speak and yes I prefit the wheels to make sure they work. The only issue I wll have is getting the TPMS monitors reset, but my car club president works at the local Chevy dealer so I hope this will be simple and inexpensive. The General G-Max in this size are less than $1000 installed.
ZL1 TIBS is offline   Reply With Quote