Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 10-05-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
69NMYSS

Drives: '69 Camaro SS and '12 ZL1
Mods without chiller/HX

I am about to upgrade S/C pulley (12-13lbs boost), CAI with a tune and was wondering now that temps are down and we are heading into winter, do I need to updrade the HX/get a Super Chiller? My plans were to wait until spring to add the Super Chiller since the temps will be nice and cool for the next 6 months. The caveat to that is I do go to the roadcourse frequently and this is my DD. Please advise.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I would personally do "something" now. whether it is as simple as a lager resivoir or upgraded HX/chiller. meth kit would work but not well for the roadcoarse.

I know at 8.6lbs on a hot day seem like timing is being yanked. so maybe 12-13lbs turns into timing be pulled on a 75 degree day.

I am really torn between KDi hx or the chiller. The only thing that give me pause about the chiller from an enginnering perspective is the fact it is an ad on system more issues to trouble shoot down the road potentially. this is my daily as well. everybody who mods cars has had the one car they took too far and made tempormental. I know whith a good HX it is just a mechanical part. I think the chiller has better performacne attribues but so to many other parts I won't run on a daily.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:27 PM   #3
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The RX SuperChiller is really no different than having rear AC like a SUV/van so should be trouble free. We have dozens of them in use and rarely has anyone had any issues. Its all mechanical as well. Once it is in, it requires no maintanance either.

SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 12:35 PM   #4
hognutz

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The RX SuperChiller is really no different than having rear AC like a SUV/van so should be trouble free. We have dozens of them in use and rarely has anyone had any issues. Its all mechanical as well. Once it is in, it requires no maintanance either.

I am sure it is a great product do you guy's have install instructions and stuff for it? I assume it has to have some kind of fittings and such to tap the ac system. I doubt you have any installers in oregon so I would rather take my time and do it myself.

I definatly like the idea of blow ambient intake temps.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 10-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #5
SC2150
Account Suspended

No installers in Oregon your correct.

As long as you have a AC recovery machine and are handy you can do the install, but if needed we are usually available to help via phone.

Instructions we can send ahead of time, just PM your email.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:44 PM   #6
hognutz

Quote:
No installers in Oregon your correct.

As long as you have a AC recovery machine and are handy you can do the install, but if needed we are usually available to help via phone.

Instructions we can send ahead of time, just PM your email.

I will just have a shop evactute and I have vaccum pump and gauges for the refill.

I will shoot you a pm.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
69NMYSS

Quote:

PM sent
Old 10-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
TrekGTO

Drives: 05 GTO / JETTA TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69NMYSS View Post
I am about to upgrade S/C pulley (12-13lbs boost), CAI with a tune and was wondering now that temps are down and we are heading into winter, do I need to updrade the HX/get a Super Chiller? My plans were to wait until spring to add the Super Chiller since the temps will be nice and cool for the next 6 months. The caveat to that is I do go to the roadcourse frequently and this is my DD. Please advise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
I am sure it is a great product do you guy's have install instructions and stuff for it? I assume it has to have some kind of fittings and such to tap the ac system. I doubt you have any installers in oregon so I would rather take my time and do it myself.
I definatly like the idea of blow ambient intake temps.
The Super Chiller is a no cut installation. All my adapters are CNC at existing connections. Custom AN fittings seal with O-Ring to Chiller Core, in fact the entire system uses standard AC O Rings. This is completely reversible if you want to put car back to stock. A passive Heat Exchanger can’t compete with refrigerating the coolant. The core is Stainless Steel and only moving part is the Expansion Valve.
More info Here and Here.

I have a great offer standing to first ZL1 to come in for installation. There are a couple members interested but scheduling has been the hold up. I hope to have a ZL1 kit ASAP. We don’t do universal kits every kit is model and Blower Specific. ZL1 will make the 4th Camaro kit alone. We have another CTS V arriving from TX Friday; this one is for the Xtreme Chiller project.
TrekGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

No waiting for the RX Super Chiller.....have been shipping and installing for months. Lots of them in use to ask the members how they like it.

Old 10-09-2012, 01:09 PM   #10
Nailn it

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Ashen Gray / Manual
Quote:
No waiting for the RX Super Chiller.....have been shipping and installing for months. Lots of them in use to ask the members how they like it.

The superchiller is the way to go! Not a downside to it.
Nailn it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #11
rforbes

Drives: IOM SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrekGTO View Post
The Super Chiller is a no cut installation. All my adapters are CNC at existing connections. Custom AN fittings seal with O-Ring to Chiller Core, in fact the entire system uses standard AC O Rings. This is completely reversible if you want to put car back to stock. A passive Heat Exchanger can’t compete with refrigerating the coolant. The core is Stainless Steel and only moving part is the Expansion Valve.
More info Here and Here.

I have a great offer standing to first ZL1 to come in for installation. There are a couple members interested but scheduling has been the hold up. I hope to have a ZL1 kit ASAP. We don’t do universal kits every kit is model and Blower Specific. ZL1 will make the 4th Camaro kit alone. We have another CTS V arriving from TX Friday; this one is for the Xtreme Chiller project.
I had mine installed recently and during a 98 degree day it got down to a unbelievable 28 degrees in Comp mode on my TVS2300.
Fairly simple design so it should be pretty reliable and the end results are amazing.
rforbes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Ok so there's 2 different companies offering Superchillers?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:08 PM   #13
69NMYSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taser Deployed View Post
Ok so there's 2 different companies offering Superchillers?
Yeah now I am confused? Are there 2 Super Chillers? If so, is either one built specifically for the ZL1?
Old 10-09-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
hognutz

I know the one trekgto is talking about will be ZL1 specific but is not out yet. He had a thread about it. existing holes used, no cutting, drilling, etc.

I am not sure if the RX version is the same product in a universal kit or a different product all together?
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300