Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-20-2009, 09:43 PM   #1
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
My son is struggling...........

Hey Fen, X, Zabo, CG and some of you others in school,

My son James (15) is struggling in Honors Chemistry and Honors Trig.

I allways sucked at math and I pray that he doesn't get my same way.

Any advice?

I don't want to put him in regular classes at this point because I fear it would teach him to quit or take the easy way out.

It pains me because I can't help him.

He's doing great in Guitar though.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:51 PM   #2
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Chem is hard no matter what. I am pretty sure I'm failing my Chemistry course right now.

Never mind, I have a 79.

The only advice I can give you is make sure he gets help. Teachers, tutors, even fellow classmates. A friend of mine who is currently studying Biomedical Engineering helped me throughout high school and saved me from failing on more than one occasion. I still ask her for help even now if I flat out don't understand something.

As for Trig, that stuff can be pretty hard as well...what exactly isn't he getting?

By the way, from my experience, do not take him out of Honors unless you're out of options. Schools understand that Honors courses are much more difficult than regular courses and will take that into consideration.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
I really don't know to tell you man. My councelors always referred to me as a "brilliant, under-acciever."

35 ACT, barely a 3.0 GPA.

However - tutors are always good. If he has any questions with the math have him get in touch with me. I can PM you my email address/phone number if you want.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Drives: Team 1LE
Usually a teacher fail.... I would let him tough it out. Like Fen said. Some good tutors, or fellow classmates could help him out. Stupidly I picked a chick I wanted to go out with, and I ended up failing.......The class.....
Old 10-20-2009, 09:58 PM   #5
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Corvette View Post
Usually a teacher fail.... I would let him tough it out. Like Fen said. Some good tutors, or fellow classmates could help him out. Stupidly I picked a chick I wanted to go out with, and I ended up failing.......The class.....
That's also a good point...look into the teacher...part of the reason I did so horribly in Chemistry in high school was because I had one of those teachers who knew what she was talking about and knew all the information but lacked the ability to pass it on to students.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
This is a tough one PQ...I know what it's like to have an exceptionally smart kid who starts to struggle in the honors courses. Whether you have the ability to help him or not is sometimes irrelevant because teenagers tend to not listen to parents anyway. Or at least that is the case with my 14 y/o honors student.

In any case, do yourself the favor and get him a professional tutor 2 or 3 nights a week now before he falls to far behind. Chemistry is not an easy subject to make up time once you’re behind the rest of the class. It’s a hit to the budget and a few toys may have to be put on hold, but the expense is well worth it brother.

Best...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:06 PM   #7
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
That's also a good point...look into the teacher...part of the reason I did so horribly in Chemistry in high school was because I had one of those teachers who knew what she was talking about and knew all the information but lacked the ability to pass it on to students.
Yeah, my chemistry teacher would only help out hot women. It pissed me off. I would walk up to him with a question, and he would send me back to my notes almost immediately. I would sit down, and ask my friend (the girl in my post above) to go up and ask him the same question, and he would have her there for a solid 10 minutes. He would also push her to make sure that she understands the problem, and sometimes work through it with her. I ended up telling him where he could shove it. Jerk.

PS: Telling a teacher that, does not get you any additional help either...
Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM   #8
Windy City

Drives: Not enough room here!
They can take honors classes and have to work 10 times harder for a moderate grade, or take regular classes and ace it with "some" effort. It doesn't make any sense. There is no tangible credit for taking the "honors" classes. A better lesson is to adapt and overcome.
Most of the successful people in the world never finished college. Trouble shooting and problem solving of real world situations can be far more important.
Not standing in the line, waiting for your turn.
Sorry, back to your regularly scheduled program!
Old 10-20-2009, 10:10 PM   #9
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
I'm sorry, but first mistake was putting him in honors classes. I know most kids in high school that were in honors classes either failed or got very low grades. I think it's better to take regular classes and get A's than to take honor classes and get C's and D's
Old 10-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #10
TJTKSDMJ8
I COMMAND YOU TO HOOK 'EM

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro SS2/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
I'm sorry, but first mistake was putting him in honors classes. I know most kids in high school that were in honors classes either failed or got very low grades. I think it's better to take regular classes and get A's than to take honor classes and get C's and D's
Unfortunately, I agree. I was in AP English, Math, etc... struggled a bit, my parents pulled me out and it helped. Double the work, harder lessons, add on the extra stuff(football, wrestling), it was hard. I know it's not the "right" attitude, but I got out of the classes, they seemed easier, and aced them. That was the difference between student loans and a full scholarship. Good Luck man. It's a hard thing to deal with, but also, the kiddo may just flat out feel better about himself. Good Luck man. He's gonna need it to get into a great college like THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM   #11
Camaro_Corvette
36.58625, -121.7568

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJTKSDMJ8 View Post
Unfortunately, I agree. I was in AP English, Math, etc... struggled a bit, my parents pulled me out and it helped. Double the work, harder lessons, add on the extra stuff(football, wrestling), it was hard. I know it's not the "right" attitude, but I got out of the classes, they seemed easier, and aced them. That was the difference between student loans and a full scholarship. Good Luck man. It's a hard thing to deal with, but also, the kiddo may just flat out feel better about himself. Good Luck man. He's gonna need it to get into a great college like THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS
Old 10-20-2009, 10:25 PM   #12
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
i can help! im a dual major in chem and math. if only you were closer :(
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 10:26 PM   #13
FenwickHockey65

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
i can help! im a dual major in chem and math. if only you were closer :(
Do you have superpowers?
Old 10-20-2009, 10:33 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't consider honors, and AP classes a mistake. Truth is, it takes a lot of work to succeed....these classes pay off in the end. I got out of 3 classes in college, while still receiving credit for them. I know very FEW people who get awfully low grades in those classes...BUT......and this coming from a teacher-to-be:

If you're son is trying his hardest, but getting consistently lower grades than 85% - pull him out. This is a goal EVERY student should reach towards, and is considered "mastery" of the subject matter. If it's lower, then he's not suited for the class. It doesn't mean he's dumb, or that he's quitting, it just means it wasn't for him. Everybody's different. Another option is to pick just one of the Honors classes -- that's tough, and there's really no added benefit to taking an advanced Chemistry, for example, if he's not going to be a chemist....

In my senior year of high school, I took the hardest math class my school system offered: AP Calculus BC (It was two years of Calc stuffed into one). It was not easy...but I got a 4/5 and a 5/5 on the final exam. I had a job, I was president of two high-profile organizations (including editor of the yearbook of a school of 1700 kids), and I was working on a controller for a CNC mill in my "extra time".........I don't post this to brag, but only to say that I've been there, and I know it can be done. It takes exceptional amounts of work; and real effort in terms of time-managment.

My advise? Spend lots, lots, lots, lots of time after class with the teacher (if the teacher cooperates) and go over everything he's having trouble with.

Second, and most importantly: ASK QUESTIONS...this is the #1 mistakes students make. They're self-conscious, or afraid, or whatever to ask questions in class...and then they struggle. The teacher is there for that reason; so use it!! "The only stupid question is the one not asked." If you don't ask, you'll never find out.

Good luck.