Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #15
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Drives: 2010 1SS:RS:LS3:SW
Hit 10800 miles and the OLM is finally getting under 15%. Time for an Oil change!

Still leery about going 9000 miles between changes.. but thats what the owners manual says!
Old 05-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

A day after the installation of the Vararam Intake (early model), I wasn't happy with the way the top end of the radiator floated about, and the mounts with long bolts didn't look appealing to me...

SOOOOOO

I fabricated up some real brackets made of 3mm steel plate! Pictures to come once the battery on my camera is charged.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:43 PM   #17
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Pictures of the new bracket and one with it installed (minus factory bolt).

Old 08-16-2011, 10:43 PM   #18
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Update with another TRUE custom mod.

Still some detail work to be a true end result, but good enough for test fitting and photos.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:34 PM   #19
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
any tips on the bowtie mod? did you get a bowtie delete plate and then mold the bowtie to it?

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 11:04 PM   #20
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Yes sir,

the gold part is actually glued to a backing that is part of the chrome surround.

Picture 1

1.a - mask off what you want to keep chrome (or just to protect the surface prior to paint)

1.b - pop out the gold part

2. dremel out the backing (VERY CAREFULLY)

3. use a bowtie delete plate (ends trimmed to fit inside the chrome surround)

4. clamp the delete inside and expoxy (jbweld) it in.

5. paint the exposed plastic with a primer and color/black coat.

And the inspiration for this...

Last edited by The_Stache; 09-02-2011 at 11:36 PM.
The_Stache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #21
JCO2185
RIDING ON AIR

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS Summit White
GREAT WRITE UP! thanks!
I saw the SSX bowtie and was curious how they did it

--John--2010 Camaro 2LT/RS, Summit White
Air Ride Suspension, BBK Longtube Headers, Hi-Flo cats, Doug Thorley catback exhaust, Elite Catch-Can, Airraid CAI, Trifecta tune, ZL1 front end with Phantom grille, ZL1 side skirts, MRR228 graphite wheels
JCO2185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:41 PM   #22
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
I like your mod list, and what you did with the bowtie mod.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 09:14 PM   #23
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Thanks ofer! I need to buy you a round for the intake and have you take a look at my revised vararam brackets. I hope I can get them powder coated prior to next week!
Old 10-16-2011, 09:22 PM   #24
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Liked the Bowtie mod.
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #25
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Updated the vararam brackets as mine an offers were letting loose under stress.

Old 06-30-2012, 08:15 PM   #26
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Hotchkis sways installed today (2 beers and 4 waters, 113 degrees). Already I can feel the difference. It now goes where I point it!
Old 07-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #27
The_Stache
SoCal Race Team #13

Ok the hood came on Monday, and have not had a chance until today to install it. But wow what a hood, also amazing what the stock hood weighs. Even my wife commented on how light the stock hood is, and then when we lifted the VIS she couldn't believe it weighed even less.

So here is a picture of it installed.

Also with the rain guards removed (6 screws on each side, like maybe 5 minutes to install/remove), there is basically a MASSIVE amount of breath ability.

So Unvarnished opinion...

PROS:

Shipping/packaging - The shipping was literally 3 business days freight, then when it was received I was instructed (by the vendor) to open and verify everything made it in 1 piece. Well dang they boxed the hood, and then boxed the box. Packing was phenomenal for packaging (even the hinges had wood protectors screwed on for protecting the corners).

Fitment - very good fitment (for a non-oem product). Its not exact, but from 3ft you wont notice, under 3 ft you have to be specifically looking at the fitment to notice any discrepancy from oem. Install and adjustment took about 25 minutes until I was pleased.

Finish - top/carbon fiber, very professional finish, only 2 minor spots with what looks like over-spray (but I'm sure is some contamination like tape glue). This came off with clay bar in like 2 wipes (see cons for underside). Also all of the body lines from the front fascia line up very nicely.

Function - I can't speak for the function (with or without the rain-guards) yet, but the engineer in me is amazed that so much material is missing and that it still functions as hood. The available paths for heated air to escape are enormous. As for the mentioned rain-guards, they basically block the direct path into the engine and funnel the rain to the rear of the hood and onto the cowling. The guards themselves are finished on the top and unfinished on the bottom (both like the hood). Removal and installation is cake with 6 Phillips screws each. if it takes someone more than 5 minutes to remove them they should not be using a screwdriver.

Styling - Subjective I know, but for me the styling is just like the car itself, pictures make it look great, but in person it just plain shines.

CONS:

Wiper fluid sprayers - I don't know if its because I have a late 2010 (and they changed) or if VIS just assumes all sprayers mount the same, but the oem clips do not fit into the spots for them on the hood. I am going to have to look into a parts manual to find out. As of right now I have no wiper fluid sprayer. This is not a big deal personally as I usually use them once a month, literally just filled up the fluid after 2 years 2 months of ownership.

Hood Underside - The underside of the hood is 'un-finished' the necessary parts have been coated/painted a flat black and left. No attempt at smoothing or finishing any defects has occured. This is even more visible when the rain-guards are removed. Don't get me wrong, it is completely livable, but for someone like me who is a perfectionist some time will have to be spend here at the body shop to make it a nicer product. Again not horrible especially if its going to get painted (which mine is).

Rain-gaurds Underside - Same as the hood itself, the visible part (due to hood vents) are smoothed and "finished" where the underside is "just adequate".
Old 07-13-2012, 01:44 AM   #28
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
Love that hood , looks killer.