Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 09-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #1
SS 376

Drives: 2010 IBM 1SS (Former)
Audi America President calls Volt a car for 'idiots'

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/03/r...ls-chevy-volt/

What an idiot, but this commenter had it right:

Quote:
In response to "No one is going to pay a $15,000 premium for a car that competes with a (Toyota) Corolla. So there are not enough idiots who will buy it."

Sounds a lot like the Audi A3 and the Volkswagen Golf, doesn't it?
SS 376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:15 PM   #2
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
he certainly does come across like a dickhead...but I can't say I totally disagree with him.
Old 09-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
bluch
OH CANADA!

Drives: 2011 RAM 1500 LARAMIE

Had to trade in the Camaro for a truck :(, but hopefully I can join the Camaro family again one day
bluch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
gtwss
Time To Hammer Down

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 02 Monte Carlo SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFREAK View Post
he certainly does come across like a dickhead...but I can't say I totally disagree with him.
I agree, price sounds like it will be higher than I'd go.

2SS, CGM, M6, Polished Wheels
6000 8/13/09
gtwss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:17 PM   #5
lil_chef
Banned

Drives: 2010 Mustang GT
as he proceeds to say there will be a plug in Audi......hmmm talk about a car for idiots.
lil_chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
I don't think the Volt will fly, but the technology can only be advanced through production. Typical German car company, their way is the only way.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2009, 10:54 PM   #7
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
Yep ...Do it my way OR hit the autobann
Old 09-03-2009, 11:01 PM   #8
DocHolliday

Drives: '14 Blade Silver Z51
I didn't realize a price had been set for the Volt yet? Either way, I think he has it wrong. People aren't buying a car like that to "compete" with a Corolla, if that were the case the Pruis would never have done as well as it has. People will buy the Volt because they they they are "green."
Old 09-03-2009, 11:18 PM   #9
AngryAmish

Drives: Impala
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens Blvd View Post
http://www.autoblog.com/2009/09/03/r...ls-chevy-volt/

What an idiot, but this commenter had it right:

Nobody ever gets upset at something they don't forsee as a threat. So in other words, this leads me to believe Chevy is on the right track with the car.
Proud Owner of #168
AngryAmish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 12:52 AM   #10
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Two types of people buy hybrids/EVs

1. Idiots who think they're actually cost effective. They buy all the hype, but they ignore the math that shows they'll lose money both long and short run.

2. Buyers who know the costs but want to make a statement with the expensive, flashy, high-tech car they buy and drive.

The head of an exorbitantly priced luxury brand selling gussied up Volkswagens should know that second group better than most people. The commenter had the A3/GTI comparison dead-on.

There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
shining at the end of every day
There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
Just a dream away
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 10:35 AM   #11
POWERFREAK
I.AM.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS/A6 cammed-n-whippled
Quote:
Originally Posted by lil_chef View Post
as he proceeds to say there will be a plug in Audi......hmmm talk about a car for idiots.

talk about idiots...have you seen the MSRP's on ALL Audi's recently.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:45 AM   #12
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
Two types of people buy hybrids/EVs

1. Idiots who think they're actually cost effective. They buy all the hype, but they ignore the math that shows they'll lose money both long and short run.

2. Buyers who know the costs but want to make a statement with the expensive, flashy, high-tech car they buy and drive.
Two types of people make blanket stereotypical statements like this

1. The ignorant

2. The person so preoccupied with spouting nonsensical rhetoric they haven’t the time to read the forum rules; i.e. rule #1….

1) Respect. By far the most important rule here. Through the generations of Camaros, enthusiasts have come together for the love of the car and the community (in fact, the name "Camaro" means "friend, pal, or comrade"). So, the basic rules of real life apply here, show each other respect and you will get respect as well. Don't bash someone else here because you feel like it. Personally insulting other members will not be tolerated.

Please, show some class.
Old 09-04-2009, 10:54 AM   #13
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This car is the first step in the right direction for passenger cars, and it's a big step. And I agree with Angry Amish...he's scared. Toyota did the same thing when this was announced: "they can't do it. The batteries don't exist, they're crazy." HMF!! There's numerous pre-production cars rolling around GM's testing facilites right now, this isn't a joke or a dream!

For the first few years, the car will only cost around $32,500 with the gov't rebate. And with all the features and luxury ameneties, that's only a few thousand more expensive than a high-end Impala or Camry. The difference? This thing uses next to no gasoline, and is the most practical electric vehicle out of the industry to date.

Not everyone who buys a Hybrid/EV fits into any one category. I wouldn't be caught dead in an Insight, or a Prius...I'm nonplussed about the Tahoe hybrid, and I think the taurus Hybrid is neat...but how about I tell you that I'm as excited about this car as I am about a hypothetical Z28 Camaro or a C7 Vette? And that when the Cobalt dies, I expect this car to replace it?!
Old 09-04-2009, 11:07 AM   #14
DocHolliday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This car is the first step in the right direction for passenger cars, and it's a big step. And I agree with Angry Amish...he's scared. Toyota did the same thing when this was announced: "they can't do it. The batteries don't exist, they're crazy." HMF!! There's numerous pre-production cars rolling around GM's testing facilites right now, this isn't a joke or a dream!

For the first few years, the car will only cost around $32,500 with the gov't rebate. And with all the features and luxury ameneties, that's only a few thousand more expensive than a high-end Impala or Camry. The difference? This thing uses next to no gasoline, and is the most practical electric vehicle out of the industry to date.

Not everyone who buys a Hybrid/EV fits into any one category. I wouldn't be caught dead in an Insight, or a Prius...I'm nonplussed about the Tahoe hybrid, and I think the taurus Hybrid is neat...but how about I tell you that I'm as excited about this car as I am about a hypothetical Z28 Camaro or a C7 Vette? And that when the Cobalt dies, I expect this car to replace it?!
Very well said!

I never really understood the point of the Hybrid Tahoe...that one seemingly defies logic. I did on the other hand, own a Prius for 16 months when my commute was extremely long and gas here in SoCal was approaching the $4 a gallon mark. I actually sold the car for $232 more than I paid for it after using it for 16 months. I guess that makes me an idiot???

Correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding of the Volt is that it can travel 40ish miles completely on electric power? That being said, my wife who commutes round trip 32 miles a day could use no to very, very minimal gas all together? My only real concern with this car is how much energy it will use while being plugged in for a recharge; i.e. how much will my home electric bill increase by plugging this thing in every night? I'm sure this has been addressed, but I haven't found any concrete data as of yet.