Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 01-01-2011, 12:12 PM   #29
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
It's pretty simple, really. If you don't already have a Camaro, you still want one. Whether you want to admit it or not.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 02:28 PM   #30
Berean

Drives: Truck
Don't worry about it. There are plenty of foreigners right here who hate us, and more coming every day.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 01:48 PM   #31
VenoX

Drives: Volkswagen Scirocco
Hey guys... fist i want to greet you and i have to tell you that my english is not perfect as its not my mother language.

I am a 24- year old guy from austria and i just want to tell you that from my experience, most people here dont hate US Cars.

There are a few factors that they are simply not really important and very rare here.

1) The size. I was in the US Summer 2010 and what i saw there you have much much more parking space everywhere, also in the cities.
Most european cities and streets are much older and smaller - so very big cars are a mess. A BMW 5series is a "big" car here.
In the US it isn´t really big.

2) Interior and Quality
People here want better Interior Quality. Now you say its a cliche, but i drove some of the new cars as rentals (dodge charger, ford fusion, a mustang and a camaro) and what i have to say it has a good interior - but they are challenging small hatchbacks here - and when people here want to buy big cars the simply want more quality and a lot of techy stuff.

3) Fuel consumption & diesels
In Austria, most of the cars are 1.6 - 2l Turbodiesels with an average Power of 120 Horsepower. They consume about 5 - 7l for 100km.
Gas prices here are about 1.20€ (= 1.50 - 1,60Dollars) for 1 liter of fuel.
Also most of the non-diesel cars have a maximum of 2 litres cubic capacity.
So most of the US cars have bigger engines and consume more fuel, for the average european its too expensive.

But we also have US Car Fan Clubs and Meetings here... its really nice.

Personal, i drive a Volkswagen Scirocco 2008 (a model which isnt sold in the US) with a 1.4l 4-zylinder Engine which produces 204 Horsepower and consumes 7.3l average.
Thats awesome

But a good old V8 is also...

As a conclusion i also have to mention that most of the peple here dont hate us cars. They do not even recognice them.
VenoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
@Venox: Vergiss des, die haben sowieso a andere Mentalität als wir. Die Amis fahren a anders, für die zählt nur schnell gradaus (eigentlich wie bei den Deutschen *lol*). Da kannst net argumentieren

Sorry for the German, guys.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:18 PM   #33
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
It's amusing how few Europeans seem to appreciate our "slight" contribution to their freedom back in the 1940's.
Yea we didnt help out too much. right.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #34
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steppenwolf1980 View Post
@Venox: Vergiss des, die haben sowieso a andere Mentalität als wir. Die Amis fahren a anders, für die zählt nur schnell gradaus (eigentlich wie bei den Deutschen *lol*). Da kannst net argumentieren

Sorry for the German, guys.
I think American cars can do more than just go fast.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:24 AM   #35
VenoX

I also think so, there are great and sporty cars made in the us which aren´t only fast on a straight line.

One more difference:

In Europe, Manual Transmissions are common! Didn´t spot a lot of MT cars on my holidays in the U.S.
Old 01-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #36
Steppenwolf1980

Drives: Chevy Camaro & Opel Speedster Turbo
Sure some US-Cars (for example the latest Corvette) do also handle well. But if we are honest, the Camaro isn't the first choice if you want to go curvy and winding roads. It is just a different way of driving over here, because in the US most of the roads were built geometrical, comfortable - just straigt ahead. Here I live in between lots of mountains with passes, which are my favorite to drive. Therefor I have a different sports car, way smaller, half the weight of the Camaro, very vivid and agile to drive. And I guess that is why Europeans and Americans have a different point of view when it is about cars, because of the different ways we use them. I've always been a fan of lightweight, mid-engined cars, because the handling isn't comparable to anything else. So the Camaro is my daily driver, going long distances on the highway, therefore it is just perfect and I don't want to miss it.
Steppenwolf1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:42 AM   #37
VenoX

I agree with u.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:17 AM   #38
PeeBee

Drives: "Bee" ZL585, Dark Blue Suburban.
As a 37 year old Belgian, I can only speak for myself, but we certainly don't hate American cars (allthough, maybe the fact that the Camaro isn't officially available over here yet...)

As for "helping out with WW II": yeah, we read about it in our history books. Sorry to say, but it's been over 50 years now. You can't expect people to still think about that every day in the year. With all due respect to those who lost their lives in it, but things have come a long way since then.

But back on topic, as for hating American cars: most people over here do seem to know only 2 marques when it comes down to "dream cars": Ferrari and Porsche. Personally, I don't like them, so that's why, when I had the chance to buy one of the Swordfish movie cars, I immediately jumped on it. Lightweight (1060kg), and a 4 litre 6-cyl (now supercharged to 600-ish bhp), and to me great handling (allthough it's been said to handle quite bad, but it's all down to having "cojones", and getting a decent geo).

American cars on the other hand, do have a reputation of being built for straight lines. I guess it comes down to the way 60-70 muscle cars were built, with their soft suspensions and heavy weight. Anyway, that being said, one day I will own a '69 Charger (General Lee should ring a bell, and I know it's a bit of a blasphemy to talk about a Dodge on a Chevy forum I know, but wait before you judge me).

Next on my "to buy" list is definitely a Camaro (SOOO waiting for that Z28 to arrive), which I will transform into an as close as possible replica of the TF2 Bumblebee.

I know I'm only speaking for myself, but there you have it, this crazy Belgian doesn't hate American cars at all. In fact, I would LOVE to stare out the window and be able to see a yellow Camaro there
PeeBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:23 AM   #39
VenoX

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
Next on my "to buy" list is definitely a Camaro (SOOO waiting for that Z28 to arrive), which I will transform into an as close as possible replica of the TF2 Bumblebee.
I have to say this is awesome! Hope you will do it.

I love transformers, i also have small transformer badges on my car
Old 01-03-2011, 08:59 AM   #40
Berean

Drives: Truck
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post

As for "helping out with WW II": yeah, we read about it in our history books. Sorry to say, but it's been over 50 years now. You can't expect people to still think about that every day in the year. With all due respect to those who lost their lives in it, but things have come a long way since then.

I like your point here, and agree.

However, most Americans are obsessed with the past which is why this issue always comes up. For that matter, slavery gets dredged up almost every single day in America, and that was 150 years ago. Americans have a hard time moving on.
Berean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:31 PM   #41
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Being British...and owning a Camaro (My first muscle car!)
The majority of Brits don't get 'yank cars' because they seem to have huuuge engines for not alot of power-this stems from the 60's and 70's, also 90% of British roads were built for horse and carts-they've just added tarmac over the years This means that most our roads are narrow and windy, you need something light and manouvreable to have any sort of fun. Fuel price is the next big issue, it costs me the same to fill my motorcycle in UK as it does to fill my Honda Civic here in Canada!(winter car before you all start dissing me )
I bought the Camaro expecting a big wobbly POS that didnt stop or go very well, because obviously Clarkson is a demi god and what he says goes
Imagine my surprise It fekkin rocks, my brother came over in the summer (he's a Golf nut, has a hot R32) and I let him drive it......he fekkin loves it to

Lifestyles are a big difference to, I remember someone posting here, or another forum moaning that it didnt come with a solid rear axle (wtf) and was then surprised when I said I'd never driven something with a sold rear axle (apart from a lorry!) Horses for courses, and the Camaro is one horse I wanna throw around narrow country roads scaring old grannies guffawing loudly at the popping on over run

Well, that would happen if I wasn't selling it-shipped it back to UK for someone else to be converted to all that V8 goodness....they'd better bring out the Z287 thats all I say!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:33 PM   #42
Buelligun

Drives: 2SSRS manual yellow black stripes
Oh and for the record....I think that North American cops are the next Nazi party!!!
Buelligun is offline   Reply With Quote