Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 05-03-2007, 04:08 PM   #1
E-wing

Drives: 94' firebird
Mods and warranty

what kind of mods can you do and still be under warrenty? just exaust and intake right or can you do internal engine stuff too,cam?
E-wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:19 PM   #2
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
To be safe, I didn't "mod" the SS until it was out of warranty.

As for your question regarding "internal" mods, my guess is you'll void the warranty.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2007, 04:33 PM   #3
E-wing

thats what i figured i hope they ofer some kind of cam option
Old 05-03-2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-wing View Post
thats what i figured i hope they ofer some kind of cam option
If you acknowlege VVT, then they will. What I mean is, chances are Chevrolet will be offering Variable Valve Timing, which would almost make a conventional Cam replacement useless, almost...
Old 05-04-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I wouldn't want to change any internals on that engine. You are already getting a good 400-450hp w/ the LS3 and VVT is supposed to get 30+mpg's. Why mess w/ a good thing? I think all the time and effort along w/ the cost associated w/ installing another cam and tune for 30 to 40 extra horses would just be way too much trouble. Hey, if you've got the cash, go for it. But you will void that warranty on the engine in no time if you begin to pull it apart, so be careful!

GM told me that adding headers would void the warranty as well. Someone else said they wouldn't. I wasn't sure and just left it alone. I'd put them on now, no sweat. Intake? Nah...depending on what all you consider intake. Just a K&N air filter? Nah. Cold air intake? Nah. Lid? Nah. I put on the mass air flow sensor. No probs there. Intake manifold? Maybe.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 06:14 AM   #6
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Safe answer is to not do any mods until your initial warranty has expired.

Legally, however, a dealer can't void a warranty unless they can prove that your modification caused the problem that you are trying to cover under warranty. For instance, a dealership can't reaslistically blame a faulty/broken tranny on a set of new headers

That is covered under the Magnusson-Moss act. However, if you want to challenge a dealership under that act then you better prepared for a fight that may or may not be worth it.

As for VVT and aftermarket applications. The aftermarket will figure out a way to keep most of the benefits of the VVT and still have gains from a more aggressive cam.

The new Mustangs have VVT, and there are more aggressive cams on the market for them that don't screw with the VVT. You just need an experienced tuner who knows how make all the proper adjustments.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #7
E-wing

so the v8 is an will be an OHV right, the new mustangs are OHC, i didnt think that most OHV could have VVT. i no the viper does but they had to do alot of work to get it that way
Old 05-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #8
hollyt

Drives: 2003 corvette
FYI

MAGNUSON MOSS WARRANTY ACT, US Code - Title 15, Chapter 50, Sections 2301-2312

Legally, a vehicle manufacturer cannot void the warranty on a vehicle due to an aftermarket part unless they can prove that the aftermarket part caused or contributed to the failure in the vehicle (per the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302©) . For best results, consider working with performance-oriented dealerships with a proven history of working with customers. If your vehicle manufacturer fails to honor emission/warranty claims, contact EPA at (202) 260-2080 or http://www.epa.gov. If federal warranty protection is denied, contact the FTC at (202) 326-3128 or http://www.ftc.gov
hollyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 09:36 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
there are more aggressive cams on the market for them that don't screw with the VVT. You just need an experienced tuner who knows how make all the proper adjustments.
Exactly, and though most of us know what we're doing, a CAM swap on a VVT just doesn't seem worth it to me - Very difficult I've heard, and it kind of defeats the purpose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-wing View Post
so the v8 is an will be an OHV right, the new mustangs are OHC, i didnt think that most OHV could have VVT. i no the viper does but they had to do alot of work to get it that way
Yeah, it's OHV. CAM-in-block too, I think. But that doesn't really change a lot as far as the VVT goes, just moves things around a bit. Sure it's a little harder to time everthing, but hey it's GM...famous for their pushrods:p

You know everytime somebody mentions the Viper I laugh...a V10 and supercharged(I think) and it still makes close to the same as one of our corvettes...oh, right - which is a V8, and normally aspirated...I just laugh.
Old 05-06-2007, 09:52 PM   #10
cannondalerider
LSWEE

Drives: CGM LS3 2SS/RS
The viper is NA. Just, what, 8.3L? As far as cam-swaps with vvt go, there are after-market companies that make cams for vvt engines. Such as the 2.3L Mazda motor in the 6/3/Speed6/Speed3/CX-7. Changing the duration of valve-opening can lead to a big time performace increase.
cannondalerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2007, 08:02 AM   #11
Silverado
GM Guy For Life

Drives: 2010 GMC Yukon XL
The first mod I'm planning has nothing to do with the engine.

I have a wife and 3 daughters. I want them all to be able to ride with me in the car, so I'm already talking to a couple of upholstery shops in town that can yank out the "buckets" in the back, make a "bench" and add another seatbelt.

If my kids were in their teens, I wouldn't worry about it, but by the time I get a 5th gen, my girls will be 2, almost 5, and almost 7. Old enough to use the smaller booster seats rather than the huge car seats (okay, 2 of them, 1 regular car seat), small enough to fit all 3 in the back seat, and still young enough to think that riding with dad is still cool. They love it when they get to ride in my truck (I mean normally, they have to ride with mom in our '03 Tahoe, but riding in the truck is special...even though the interiors are near identical).

Besides, I want to get them into the whole "Camaro scene" at a young age so they can start creating those good memories talked about in other threads and then, when they get older, will want to keep the Camaro-in-the-family tradition going.
Silverado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 AM   #12
JWz28

Drives: 2012 Z28 (I'm hoping)
It all depends on who your dealer / service writer is. I previously owned a 2002 Z-06 and had an LPE head / cam with all the bolt ons you could add at the time....(cold air intake, underdrive pulley, headers, hi-flow cats, 3" exhaust w/ x-pipe, 160 degree stat, and reprogrammed ECM, big brake package).

About 6 months after the mods my 3rd gear syncro took a crap and I took into the dealer and they replaced the tranny under warranty (twice). They even upgraded the 3rd gear shift fork to a steel units from the stock plastic fork.

I was lucky, I know. I have heard of some people taking their car in with a K&N filter only and the dealer said the warranty was voided and wouldn't touch the car.

JWz28.
JWz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 10:18 PM   #13
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWz28 View Post
It all depends on who your dealer / service writer is. I previously owned a 2002 Z-06 and had an LPE head / cam with all the bolt ons you could add at the time....(cold air intake, underdrive pulley, headers, hi-flow cats, 3" exhaust w/ x-pipe, 160 degree stat, and reprogrammed ECM, big brake package).

About 6 months after the mods my 3rd gear syncro took a crap and I took into the dealer and they replaced the tranny under warranty (twice). They even upgraded the 3rd gear shift fork to a steel units from the stock plastic fork.

I was lucky, I know. I have heard of some people taking their car in with a K&N filter only and the dealer said the warranty was voided and wouldn't touch the car.

JWz28.

I had my stock mass air flow sensor replaced due to the k&n air filter problem. I was using too much oil on the filter. When the air blew through it, it picked up the oil spreading it out on the three sensors in the MAF. The replaced it, but said I better go back to the stock air filter or they would not warranty it again. Needless to say, I used less oil. I did have the problem again (sounds like sparks from the battery when you touch the + to -) and just used rubbing alcohol with a Q-tip to clean it.

Funny you mention the tranny issue. Had the same problem w/ my Z28. It, too, was replaced twice. Of course, they said if it happened again, it was driver error (since they replaced the whole tranny on the second go-round). They seem to like to say "if you do it again" a lot...
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 04:51 PM   #14
MerF
Go Rays!

Drives: 03 Trailblazer
Red face Don't void that warranty!

So, there you are....picking up your special-ordered 5th gen. But my God does it have some wheel gap. And what was Chevy thinking putting such a restrictive exhaust on it? And wow Saleen's Power Programmer is a guaranteed 30 rwhp.....

All speculation of course to start conversation.

I'm REALLY hoping that I can talk the right talk with the dealership in what they will allow me to do to the car and keep it within warranty specs....even if it means them doing the work ($$$ I'm sure). ESPECIALLY if I break down and get a first-year model coupe instead of holding out to see if they do like the GTO and wait to work out the real deal in the following year-models.

How about you? Are you willing to go the extra mile to try to break 500 rwhp in your brand new car, or are you going to try to ride out the warranty incase GM QA misses something that suddenly plagues the '09s a year or two after release and you rwarranty has to cover it...but oops...that intake you installed voids the warranty on the MAF/MAP (or whatevr they use) and you are now paying out of pocket....

This is a dilemma for me. I'm not known for keeping my cars stock...it's no fun...but I truly do worry about first-year model cars from ANY dealer, and keeping that 4-5 year warrantee may just be necessary afterall.
MerF is offline   Reply With Quote