Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #1
mjf12080

Drives: 2014 V6 white
alignment after lowering

Just put Hotchkis 1inch drop springs in my 2014 lfx. Brought it in for an alignment and printed off Pedders street alignment specs. Long story short shop called and said I would need a caster kit as they are unable to adjust the caster as it is. Just wanted to make sure this was indeed accurate and not a "bend over" charge. Order and installed its adding $100 bucks to my alignment...sound right or smell fishy?

Engine Mods: 80mm throttle body, Jac Fab Intake Spacer and Ported Manifold, Injen CAI, Apex cathc can, Dyno Tune by Performance Dyno NH.

Driveline: 1LE Diff, MGW Short Throw Shifter.

Suspension: 1LE front and rear sways. Pedders adjustabale endlinks, 1LE front and rear struts with Hotchkis Sport springs.

Appearance: Painted engine cover & fuse box cover, Satin Black SS 20's, full IOM interior, ZL1 spoiler, Matte Black Stripes

Sound: Alpine 12in type R, sealed box, 1200 watt mono amp.
mjf12080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:02 PM   #2
SSEssence
Instagram: Sangstah

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1LE
When I installed my BMR 1.25" springs, alignment tech had no issues aligning it to spec.

Follow the build https://www.camaro6.com/forums/showthread.php?t=612717
SSEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:15 PM   #3
mjf12080

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSEssence View Post
When I installed my BMR 1.25" springs, alignment tech had no issues aligning it to spec.
Was this to OE specs or Pedders alignment specs. OE Caster calls for 5.9 while pedders calls for 8.0

Engine Mods: 80mm throttle body, Jac Fab Intake Spacer and Ported Manifold, Injen CAI, Apex cathc can, Dyno Tune by Performance Dyno NH.

Suspension: 1LE front and rear sways. Pedders adjustabale endlinks, 1LE front and rear struts with Hotchkis Sport springs.

Appearance: Painted engine cover & fuse box cover, Satin Black SS 20's, full IOM interior, ZL1 spoiler, Matte Black Stripes

Old 04-24-2017, 05:16 PM   #4
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
I believe you'd have to oblong some bolt holes to get the extra caster.
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:22 PM   #5
mjf12080

So would that require the use of eccentric bolts?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:28 PM   #6
BlazeNGlory

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Had a shop install Hotchkis 1" drop springs and performed alignment without any issues.
Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Pfadt Balance Rear Sway Bar, BMR End Links, Cadillac ATS Front Brembo 4-Piston Brakes, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, VMAX Ice-olator, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Magnaflow Axle-Back Exhaust, JEGS Exhaust Cutouts, GM Strut Tower Brace, Hurst Comp Shifter, Heritage Front Grill, 3D Carbon Front Air Dam, T-Rex Lower Billet Grill, 3D Carbon Front Vendor Vents, 20x9 OEM Polished RS/SS Wheels Front & Rear
BlazeNGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:30 PM   #7
mjf12080

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlazeNGlory View Post
Had a shop install Hotchkis 1" drop springs and performed alignment without any issues.
Do you know if they used OE specs or custom? I guess a better question would be does anyone know how to adjust caster and how many degrees can you adjust with factory hardware?

Old 04-24-2017, 05:40 PM   #8
Maiden69

Drives: 2020 Orange Crush 1SS/1LE
Pete frowns upon the use of those bolts... enlarging the holes on the struts is the more common way to do it, that's what we did back in the day before the eccentric bolts came out. I wouldn't use them anyways, if you put them side by side with the OEM, they are way skinnier as well, not taking into consideration the offset section.
Maiden69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:42 PM   #9
mjf12080

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maiden69 View Post
Pete frowns upon the use of those bolts... enlarging the holes on the struts is the more common way to do it, that's what we did back in the day before the eccentric bolts came out. I wouldn't use them anyways, if you put them side by side with the OEM, they are way skinnier as well, not taking into consideration the offset section.
Really? Unless Im mistaken Pete sells eccentric bolts

Old 04-24-2017, 05:52 PM   #10
BlazeNGlory

Drives: 2011 Camaro 1LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjf12080 View Post
Do you know if they used OE specs or custom? I guess a better question would be does anyone know how to adjust caster and how many degrees can you adjust with factory hardware?
Great question. I wasn't specific on the alignment so they may have gone back to OE. There's a lot of good info at this link regarding alignment specs from Hotchkis (as well as others):

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71994
Hotchkis Lowering Springs, Pfadt Balance Rear Sway Bar, BMR End Links, Cadillac ATS Front Brembo 4-Piston Brakes, VMAX Ported Throttle Body, VMAX Ice-olator, Volant Cold Air Intake, Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe, Magnaflow Axle-Back Exhaust, JEGS Exhaust Cutouts, GM Strut Tower Brace, Hurst Comp Shifter, Heritage Front Grill, 3D Carbon Front Air Dam, T-Rex Lower Billet Grill, 3D Carbon Front Vendor Vents, 20x9 OEM Polished RS/SS Wheels Front & Rear
BlazeNGlory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 05:54 PM   #11
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
I'm just asking this to learn. You're only lowered an inch. Why do you need this custom alignment when there are thousand out there that are lowered 1.25 to 1.5 that are running just fine on the stock alignment .
Old 04-24-2017, 07:18 PM   #12
mjf12080

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
I'm just asking this to learn. You're only lowered an inch. Why do you need this custom alignment when there are thousand out there that are lowered 1.25 to 1.5 that are running just fine on the stock alignment .
For the same reason people change brands of tires. The stock tires work fine but there are better options. The stock alignment drives straight and provides decent tire wear, however there are improvements that can be made.

Justice Pete
Pfadt
Pedders
Hotchkis

all have alignment specs that are different from stock. to Quote Pedders

"We determined our recommended alignment settings through street and track testing using the stock Pirelli tires. These settings are a great place to start, offering acceptable tire wear and grip in a variety of performance driving conditions. Driving styles, track condition, tire selection, tire pressure and most importantly tire temperatures across the face of the tire are the determining factors of final alignment settings."

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 PM   #13
KillboyPowerhead

Drives: 2015 Z/22
Caster is not adjustable from the factory because the holes for the radius rod bolts (where caster is adjusted) are circular rather than elongated, meaning the bolts will just spin rather than move side to side. The tech is right in saying that he can't adjust caster. To adjust caster you need to drill/grind out the hole and make it elongated (there are actually guides/walls around the hole which would imply that the hole was supposed to be elongated, but never happened. Weird. With that said, you can simply elongate the hole yourself and extend it to the front-most guide/wall to gain more caster).
Overkill/Self Tuned; Mace Camshafts; K&N Typhoon Cold Air Intake; Ported 80mm Throttle Body/Intake Manifolds/Manifold Spacer; Solo Performance High-Flow Cats, Cat-back Exhaust; Vitesse Motorsports Throttle Controller; Elite Engineering E2 Catch Can; BC Racing BR Coilovers; JPSS Delrin Radius Rod Bushing Inserts, Sway Bars; Pegasus Aluminum Rear Cradle Bushings, Camber/Caster Plates; Z/28 Toe Links, Trailing Arms, Upper Control Arm Bushings, Rear Shock Mounts
KillboyPowerhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 08:03 AM   #14
UBB

Drives: 2018 ZL1
installed the Eibach kit and then took it to a shop to get the alignment done. Here are the numbers they gave me
UBB is offline   Reply With Quote