Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #1
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
High-RPM shift grinding /

Question for everyone taking a look,

I'm worried that my syncros are messed up in my manual 2010 LS.

High-rpm shifting from 1-2 often times results in grinding noises (yes, clutch is fully depressed before making the 1 to 2 shift). I also have this same issue on the 2-3 shift...and in addition, on occasion, the car has completely missed the gear, and gone somewhere to the right of 5th gear...let me explain, like it feels like its in 5th gear, but the car is clearly not in gear as I can press the gas peddle down and rpms just climb with no power going to the wheels. When I move the shifter out of this "right of 5th" gear, I can put it back in 3rd, and its backs to normal.

I should admit that this problem has become worse over the life of the vehicle. Back when the car only had 10k miles or so, whenever this grinding or 2-3 mis-shift would happen, I was attributing it to driver error (letting clutch out too soon, putting car into 5th gear, etc), but these issues are not that case as I have closely been monitoring them recently.

My car only has 28,000 miles, but I am out of the bumper to bumper since the car is 2010, but hopefully this would still fall under the powertrain 5yr/50k.

The other problem I'm worried about it how do I explain this to the dealership? I feel like they are going to tell me they can't do anything until something actually breaks....but if those syncros are messed up, isnt that enough cause for repair?

Any insight is helpful. I'll admit I drive the car spiritedly from time to time, but it is not abused and she gets babied with full synthetic oils (motor, tranny, and rear end Mobil 1)

And the tranny / rear end change was just performed about 250mi ago...

Thanks for reading this long post
Old 09-30-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
About all you can really do is bring it in, make sure they document the problem(s), and if they don't fix anything, and it fails, then the problem was documented before the warranty expired, it could be considered an existing problem not documentable by a dealer--and warranty should cover it.
shibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 01:07 PM   #3
la maquina

Drives: 2014 1LE 1 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stand-al0ne View Post
Question for everyone taking a look,

I'm worried that my syncros are messed up in my manual 2010 LS.

High-rpm shifting from 1-2 often times results in grinding noises (yes, clutch is fully depressed before making the 1 to 2 shift). I also have this same issue on the 2-3 shift...and in addition, on occasion, the car has completely missed the gear, and gone somewhere to the right of 5th gear...let me explain, like it feels like its in 5th gear, but the car is clearly not in gear as I can press the gas peddle down and rpms just climb with no power going to the wheels. When I move the shifter out of this "right of 5th" gear, I can put it back in 3rd, and its backs to normal.

I should admit that this problem has become worse over the life of the vehicle. Back when the car only had 10k miles or so, whenever this grinding or 2-3 mis-shift would happen, I was attributing it to driver error (letting clutch out too soon, putting car into 5th gear, etc), but these issues are not that case as I have closely been monitoring them recently.

My car only has 28,000 miles, but I am out of the bumper to bumper since the car is 2010, but hopefully this would still fall under the powertrain 5yr/50k.

The other problem I'm worried about it how do I explain this to the dealership? I feel like they are going to tell me they can't do anything until something actually breaks....but if those syncros are messed up, isnt that enough cause for repair?

Any insight is helpful. I'll admit I drive the car spiritedly from time to time, but it is not abused and she gets babied with full synthetic oils (motor, tranny, and rear end Mobil 1)

And the tranny / rear end change was just performed about 250mi ago...

Thanks for reading this long post
Is anyone still having this problem?
la maquina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:35 PM   #4
stand-al0ne
Rev Couture

Drives: 2010 LS Camaro & 2013 Rav4 Ltd
I mean mine hasnt gone away...and without an actual break the dealership mentioned they cannot fix anything...
Old 01-24-2014, 10:15 AM   #5
Camarojunkie95

Drives: 5 camaros from 1967-2010
my camaro rs/ss 6-speed car does the same thing! i took it to a local dealership and the shop foreman got the car grind going to 2nd twice and looked at me and said "i honestly dont think there is anything wrong with your car" there is clearly a problem with this. im kind of worried why its doing this
Camarojunkie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Camarojunkie95

Drives: 5 camaros from 1967-2010
my car is doing the same thing!!
Camarojunkie95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 11:33 AM   #7
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
I finally after 4 times of going into my dealer for the SAME issue got them to order the new updated blocking rings. After doing loads of research, and giving this to the new asst manager, having him drive the car and VERIFYING the issue. View post below.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176733

They called me and are ordering the parts finally. The tech he talked to claimed these didn't make a difference at all 4 in the cars he put them in. We'll find out once I get the call later in the week to take the car in and have them put in. If it doesn't, then they will be tearing it down in full or giving me a brand new transmission. I also asked to see the old parts to take pictures, hopefully have them up on the forum too as this fellow member did.

Keep hounding the dealer, over and over and over so its documented. They will either fix it, or will have to since it was an issue before the warranty ran out. If they don't want to do anything about it, go to the next step or another dealer.

It's seriously dangerous when you can get into gear and need to due to manufacture specs not being what they ought to be, cold/warm/hot period. I've raced for 5+ years, 3 different type of manual cars, and never had an issue such as this with any manual transmission. Getting it fixed is the hard part unfortunately =(
Old 01-26-2014, 12:15 PM   #8
RazorSS

Drives: Looking for an SS
My car has the same issue but it is very random regardless of rpm. Ive been driving sticks for 25 years and this is the first one to have this issue without me just messing up. I just try to push the clutch and then hesitate for a millisecond before shifting. I don't drag race so this works for me.
RazorSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2014, 12:43 PM   #9
11SynergyGr&Bl
JZ

Drives: 2011 Synergy Green Camaro
Unfortunately the newer camaros dont do this, shift fine, even under hard/moderate/light acceleration. Atleast the ones ive test driven so far. In an emergency situation, or even spirted driving, having.to.wait to shift can mean crashing and burning or getting out of the.situation without a.scratch.
Old 05-30-2014, 11:29 AM   #10
cntryman77

Drives: 2010 Camaro LS
I recently put in a Hurst shifter & am having big problems with grind on the 1-2 shift during spirited driving now...it sucks
Old 06-02-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
Str8_W8
Deadlift King

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I have the same issue with grinding or not going going into 2nd gear with WOT shifting. Two dealers said that's it normal and since there was no TSB on it, then they won't do anything. I started a case with GM customer service and they should be calling the dealer on Monday. I bought mine as a used GM certified vehicle less than 30 days ago so the issue was preexisting.
Str8_W8 is offline   Reply With Quote