Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-27-2009, 10:03 AM   #15
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
In terms of raw power, the SS was the top dog, however, there were successful Z28s campaigned in drag racing too that one championships. On the whole, I think the Z28 was the best all-around car. Specifically to the Gen 5, I'm glad that it would seem Z28 will be the top dog over the SS. I only say this because, like OP already said that SS has been put on almost everything, save for the 'Vette. Almost any car can be an SS (that originally started out only as a trim package in the 60s) but there are very few Z-cars. Those cars seem to raise the bar higher, as of late. The only contradiction I can remember is the Z71/Z66 Silverado and the SS Silverado. What seems funny to me is the SS seemed more like a four-wheel-drive Z71 with a different transfer case and cladding. I thought is was a pretty good idea, but it was like a street Z71 with a 6.0. I just hope the Z' comes back

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #16
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I don't like the idea of a supercharged Z28. Adds raw power and adds weight up front which throws off handling. A lot like what a big block would do. An LS7 in a lighter car (150 lbs less is probably doable, for a price) with upgraded suspension would be more appropriate to the heritage.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:23 AM   #17
Beamer
N00B

Drives: 07 Cobalt SS/SC-Toy | 97Cavalier-DD
Send a message via Yahoo to Beamer
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIXXTERR View Post
Oooh. My Bad your right.. I Fixed.
all good , I just had a couple 2nd gen z24's, was looking at the z26's to add to the z collection and almost got an z34 haha.

My cavalier in the back is an SS, person before me put the nice razzi kit on it and than stuck Super Sport decals on the sides, rear and dash. Oh yea, 2.2L slow pos with like a 3 spd slushbox or it could of been dealer rice, see alot of that.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:31 PM   #18
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I don't like the idea of a supercharged Z28. Adds raw power and adds weight up front which throws off handling. A lot like what a big block would do. An LS7 in a lighter car (150 lbs less is probably doable, for a price) with upgraded suspension would be more appropriate to the heritage.
But I want to SMOKE Shelbys Besides - they've been cheating with superchargers since '03. It's payback time Supercharging is definately not Z28 in the past though.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 03-27-2009, 04:56 PM   #19
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
OK. I have been wondering about this Whole SS Vs. Z28 hoopla..For as long as i can remember the Z28 was always topdog. I mean why did GM change from the Z being the topdog to the SS?? And I Dont mean specificlly the Z28. Everything..well everything EXCEPT on the Vettes.

Discuss. PLEASE DO NOT TURN THIS INTO ANOTHER OF THOSE Z28 THREADS. I am just wondering about the SS and Z as a whole not just for the CAMARO..
have you read any of my posts in the Z28 threads? lol

GM didnt change from Z28 being the top. when the 4th gens were launched, the F-body was already on the cutting board. GM did a base version, and the top dog version. and thats all they planned on doing. then in 96, SLP started modifying Z28s and badging them as SS's. GM jumped on board and took it to town. (which is why anyone trying to sell you a "true 93-95 SS" is blowing smoke up your ass.)

GM wasnt sure how long the car was going to last. so they went all out (at the time) making the Z28.

Quote:
That and i never really cared for the Vette until the restyle in 98..
you mean 97.... right... C5? I love them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
But I want to SMOKE Shelbys Besides - they've been cheating with superchargers since '03. It's payback time Supercharging is definately not Z28 in the past though.
GM has proven we dont need FI to make big numbers and go fast. however, I would like to see a factory installed blower on the car. even if they dont, a Gen 5 motor pushing 400 cubes would be bad ass.

actually, I take that back. a COPO camaro would be bad ass. lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:19 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
have you read any of my posts in the Z28 threads? lol

GM didnt change from Z28 being the top. when the 4th gens were launched, the F-body was already on the cutting board. GM did a base version, and the top dog version. and thats all they planned on doing. then in 96, SLP started modifying Z28s and badging them as SS's. GM jumped on board and took it to town. (which is why anyone trying to sell you a "true 93-95 SS" is blowing smoke up your ass.)

GM wasnt sure how long the car was going to last. so they went all out (at the time) making the Z28.

you mean 97.... right... C5? I love them as well.

GM has proven we dont need FI to make big numbers and go fast. however, I would like to see a factory installed blower on the car. even if they dont, a Gen 5 motor pushing 400 cubes would be bad ass.

actually, I take that back. a COPO camaro would be bad ass. lol
You had me at COPO

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 03-27-2009, 05:25 PM   #21
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
You had me at COPO
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 03-27-2009, 05:47 PM   #22
MrIcky

Drives: Dodge Ram Megacab & Cobalt SS
I think this is part of Chevy's overall image problem. People had expectations of Z or SS monikers and Chevy has a rollercoaster history of meeting these expectations.

Hopefully Chevy makes good on their promise to never slap these designations on vehicles that don't deserve them again.
MrIcky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:19 PM   #23
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
...I mean why did GM change from the Z being the topdog to the SS?? And I Dont mean specificlly the Z28. Everything..well everything EXCEPT on the Vettes.

Corvette ZL1
Corvette Z06.
Corvette Zr1

CAMARO ..ZL1
CAMARO.. Z28
Cavalier.. Z24
Beretta.. Z26
Avalanche.. Z66
Lumina.. Z34
Silverado/Tahoe Z71.
I am sure there are more but these are all it can think of at the moment.But Now its All SS.

Cobalt SS
Impala SS
Silverado SS (what a joke)
Malibu SS
Monte Carlo SS

That being said IF ANYTHING can be an SS then whats the point? Just because it is top of the line for a particular model does that REALLY make it worthy of the title SUPER SPORT?? I Mean What Is so SUPER about the Malibu, Impala,Or Monte?? And the Silverado? do I even need to go there?...
the Z66 package on the Avalanche was a suspension package for the 2WD versions.
it included
  • Tuned suspension with load leveling rear shocks
  • 17" alloy wheels with road tires
  • Agressive rubber floor mats
  • Traction control
  • Locker rear differential
  • Z66 decal
the Z71 package wasn't a performance option either. it's a 4WD suspension package as well (until later years when it was changed to an appearance package for certain models)
it originally included
  • 46 mm shocks
  • off-road jounce bumpers
  • 34mm front stabilizer bar
  • high capacity air cleaner
  • heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential
  • Skid Plate Package

the point of the SS lineup wasn't to just slap a badge on as much crap as possible. it was to try and offer a more performance-oriented version of that model. also, if you remember, there used to be SS malibus, impalas, & such.
yes, the Silverado SS was, let's say... less than what we expected, but it was still along that same premise. if they really wanted to make a Lightning killer, they'd've went with production of the Regular Cab SS concept (http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...966#post332966)

Quote:
...The only contradiction I can remember is the Z71/Z66 Silverado and the SS Silverado. What seems funny to me is the SS seemed more like a four-wheel-drive Z71 with a different transfer case and cladding. I thought is was a pretty good idea, but it was like a street Z71 with a 6.0...
like i said above, Z71 & Z66 are suspension packages for 4WD & 2WD, respectively... not performance packages. the SS was AWD and had a higher-output LQ9 instead of the regular LQ4 (which you could get the Z-- packages on, by the way)

Quote:
...actually, I take that back. a COPO camaro would be bad ass. lol
MMMmmm!!! COPO!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrIcky View Post
...Hopefully Chevy makes good on their promise to never slap these designations on vehicles that don't deserve them again.
this puts it best
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbodfather
We do not want to use the Z28 moniker on a car that does not deserve this hallowed name.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408

Last edited by zebra; 01-20-2011 at 10:15 PM.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Glad you took that back. While such an engine would be in the 550 hp range, to truly make it badass, add forced induction on top of that.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 09:17 PM   #25
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Glad you took that back. While such an engine would be in the 550 hp range, to truly make it badass, add forced induction on top of that.
twin charged and nitrous with a shot of meth just for kicks.

tho I miss the days where you could tell a motor shop that you wanted a camaro that could go XX.XX seconds... and they tell you how much it would cost.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 01-20-2011, 02:52 PM   #26
FastEddie
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IOM LS3 2SS/RS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryAmish View Post
You forgot the 454 SS. Quite possibly the only truck I've ever liked. Those things ROCKED.
^^^^SUPER-COSIGN^^^^
FastEddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 03:14 PM   #27
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
HOLY NECROTHREAD, BATMAN!!!!!
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:06 PM   #28
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Unfortunately...Chevrolet regressed to putting the "SS" badge on anything even loosely performance oriented for a short-time....it effectively dissolved what the name stood for. Until they came to their senses and produced the Impala SS, Turbocharged Cobalt SS, and now the Camaro SS...

Today, given emissions and fuel economy standards, they cannot justify producing a model of every Chevy that would live up to the designation...so it gets put on few vehicles...:(

IMHO...the 'Z's were always higher up on the food chain than the SS's where performance was concerned.