Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 02-08-2014, 01:01 PM   #1
Indydriver

Drives: '14 2SS/RS Vert 6M/KTU/NPP/DTA/ARH
Public Service Announcement for those with summer tires

I'm pretty new to this forum but I know a few things about tire design. I've been shocked by how many of you Camaro owners that have cars with OE summer tires and live in the snow belt are trying to drive in winter conditions. This is extremely dangerous and downright irresponsible. I'm sure you really don't want to wreck your precious Camaro and possibly kill someone in the process, so listen up!

BOTTOM LINE: if you buy a car fitted with summers, you MUST plan on swapping for winters when the average high gets below 45F. Here's why:

Tire design is a huge set of compromises. Engineers who do this sort of thing can make you a world beating tire at doing one or two things well, but never everything well. Engineers love designing summer tires because the first parameter they are given is, "don't worry about anything below 45F because these tires won't be used in those conditions". They love that! Now they can focus on only half the temperature range most people drive in and can build you one hell of a tire ala P Zeros. Now, being engineers, they build in some safety factor, maybe down to freezing or so. But anything below that and you're courting catastrophic failure. Even storing summers off the car in very cold temps can damage them.

So, do yourself and every else on the road a big favor....buy winters and swap them at the appropriate time (or better yet, get some on a second set of wheels and swap those) or do society a big favor and just put a decent all-weather tire on your Camaro.

Thank you. You may return to your regular program at this time.
Indydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:08 PM   #2
erik13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS
Well put. I have made it through every storm here with my Blizzaks. I wouldn't even dare pulling out of the driveway on the P-Zeros in the snow.
erik13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:10 PM   #3
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
It's not irresponsible, unless you drive irresponsibly. As always, it depends on the tire.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:13 PM   #4
bluBlud

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
I think part of the problem is the selling dealerships don't always know or bother to warn their customers. Mine said nothing about winter use or storage. I fortunately did my homework before buying so I knew what I was getting into. My car is still in bed for winter... because of the tires :(
Old 02-08-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Squillo

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS BRM LS3
My dealer said nothing about the winter usage either. And I picked up my car the day after Thanksgiving.
Squillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #6
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluBlud View Post
I think part of the problem is the selling dealerships don't always know or bother to warn their customers. Mine said nothing about winter use or storage. I fortunately did my homework before buying so I knew what I was getting into. My car is still in bed for winter... because of the tires :(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squillo View Post
My dealer said nothing about the winter usage either. And I picked up my car the day after Thanksgiving.
Great point fellas. Having just made the rounds to several dealers looking for the right deal, I brought this very subject up to a few of them and the typical reaction was, "WTF, I get paid for selling cars, not parts!" One salesman got it when I explained that if they had ready to go winter tire packages ,you could pull this out at closing along with with your stupid fabric sealant and extended warranties (I.e., point out something meaningful to the buyer who could roll the cost into his loan) you might be able to add $1000-$2000 to the sale and protect yourself at the same time from liability inherent in sending these noobs out into the world on tires that are a guaranteed wreck in the snow.
Old 02-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
It's not irresponsible, unless you drive irresponsibly. As always, it depends on the tire.
Good luck with that reasoning if you go out in the snow on your P Zeros and end up in court. I happen to be drooling over Chevy's 2014 Camaro brochure at the moment and on nearly every page it says;

"Do not use summer-only tires in winter conditions, as it would adversely affect vehicle safety, performance and durability..." etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Have you thought through the reason why GM suspended shipping ZL1s with their summer-only Goodyear "F1 Supercar" tires during the middle of winter? Hint: it had nothing to do with them being driven.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:35 PM   #8
CamaroJim56
Obsessed

Drives: 2016 Hyper Blue 2SS RS
And I have a set of OEM 20's (wheels with Pirellis's) for sale if anyone needs an extra set...

2016 Hyper Blue 2SS
CamaroJim56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #9
Indydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroJim56 View Post
And I have a set of OEM 20's (wheels with Pirellis's) for sale if anyone needs an extra set...
PM me with your price and ship from location. I will need that second set for next winter.
Old 02-08-2014, 03:17 PM   #10
Ir0nM4n
Love me some Tacos

Drives: 14 1LE
Good point, my OEM summer tires are nice and warm in my basement/office. I am using SS rims with all season Nitto Motivo's
Old 02-08-2014, 03:20 PM   #11
amz
Factory Correct

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Just the thought of driving my SS in the snow , makes me shiverrrrr.
amz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:35 PM   #12
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
No... OP is correct. Driving with summer tires in snow, ice, freezing weather, is irresponsible. It endangers everyone on the road.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
The orange one

Drives: 2010 ss camaro Iom ls3 m6
From the start Chevrolet should have had an all season tire as an option to switch for buyers in colder climate areas.
The orange one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:43 PM   #14
angie7
Smoked by a GIRL

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
I have my Pirellis on and there's 4" of snow outside

But mines not a daily and shes chillin' in the garage until next Month