Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

View Poll Results: 1LE Nürburgring times if/WHEN they run it? 2010 SS was 8:20
under 8:08 63 60.00%
under 8:10 11 10.48%
under 8:12 14 13.33%
under 8:14 3 2.86%
under 8:16 5 4.76%
under 8:18 1 0.95%
under 8:20 2 1.90%
other and post why 6 5.71%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
Ah, I see your point now. It would be the same as running a lower gearing. I don't think it will be a disadvantage. It isn't that large of a difference. The biggest change that will effect top speed I'd the gearing. I wonder if the speed governor will be higher with the 1LE. Most people suspect that the 155 speed cut on the SS is due to the tires that are on it. If that's so then there's no reason they can't increase it to match the ZL1. Although I dont think it will have the power to push it that high, and the gears will mean your going to run out of RPMs at a lower top speed. Anyone know what the highest speed the SS acheived on the Ring?
ZL-1 reached 172mph, SS probably did the limited speed.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 02:04 PM   #30
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
I'd be surprised if the 2010 SS even GOT to 155MPH on the Ring ??? The 1LE might get there given the upgrades to help get to speed faster.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 PM   #31
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
They should have added fuel (since the DID add the more powerful ZL1 fuel pump to the 1LE) and re-tuned to give at least another 10-15HP IMO
There's no point in adding more fuel to the tune if it's the same engine configuration as the SS regardless of the fuel pump used. The only thing adding the ZL1 fuel pump does is make the car more ready to handle power adders when people decide to mod their engine in the cars. The engine only needs so much fuel. Adding more than it needs will actually reduce power output because you won't get a complete burn in the cylinder if there is too much fuel.
The biggest thing GM may have been able to do to add more power would be fine tune the timing curves. But there's one thing GM needs to worry about that the average consumer does not. The EPA. I would bet that GM's timing curves are designed first to meet EPA requirements before they are designed to make the most power. That's why the SS's actually see nice gains when some timing is removed from a factory tune. The more advanced the timing is the more time there is to completely burn all of the fuel in the cylinder. So to make the engine burn as clean as possible GM is going to run the engines with as much timing as they can without hitting the detonation point because they will ensure they have burned as much of the fuel in the cylinder as they can.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:38 PM   #32
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick S View Post
There's no point in adding more fuel to the tune if it's the same engine configuration as the SS regardless of the fuel pump used. The only thing adding the ZL1 fuel pump does is make the car more ready to handle power adders when people decide to mod their engine in the cars. The engine only needs so much fuel. Adding more than it needs will actually reduce power output because you won't get a complete burn in the cylinder if there is too much fuel.
The biggest thing GM may have been able to do to add more power would be fine tune the timing curves. But there's one thing GM needs to worry about that the average consumer does not. The EPA. I would bet that GM's timing curves are designed first to meet EPA requirements before they are designed to make the most power. That's why the SS's actually see nice gains when some timing is removed from a factory tune. The more advanced the timing is the more time there is to completely burn all of the fuel in the cylinder. So to make the engine burn as clean as possible GM is going to run the engines with as much timing as they can without hitting the detonation point because they will ensure they have burned as much of the fuel in the cylinder as they can.
Appreciate the intel on the timing stuff, I'm still somewhat foreign to that level of knowledge. What I meant by the fuel pump thing is that Al Oppenheimer recently stated in an interview that part of the reason for the stronger fuel pump was that when the car is under force in turns and/or lower on fuel levels, that the pump alleviates hesitation due to not having fuel when the car needs it(I'm paraphrasing all of this of course) and i just thought that if they are pushing fuel more via this pump(although I'm sure not a drastic difference) that maybe there WAS room for improvement on the same engine. Pretty sure these Gen5's are not DI are they?
Old 08-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #33
Nick S

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Appreciate the intel on the timing stuff, I'm still somewhat foreign to that level of knowledge. What I meant by the fuel pump thing is that Al Oppenheimer recently stated in an interview that part of the reason for the stronger fuel pump was that when the car is under force in turns and/or lower on fuel levels, that the pump alleviates hesitation due to not having fuel when the car needs it(I'm paraphrasing all of this of course) and i just thought that if they are pushing fuel more via this pump(although I'm sure not a drastic difference) that maybe there WAS room for improvement on the same engine. Pretty sure these Gen5's are not DI are they?
No the LS3 and L99 are not Direct Injection. Only the V6 models are. DI would be nice on the V8's too though. Really wish GM would get on the ball and release a DI V8.
Nick S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #34
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
No the LS3 and L99 are not Direct Injection. Only the V6 models are. DI would be nice on the V8's too though. Really wish GM would get on the ball and release a DI V8.
I'm guessing they're saving the DI V8s for the next gen Corvette and Camaro.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:36 PM   #35
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
I personally think GM still lives in the Ice age when it comes to engine engineering so Direct Injected V8 keep dreaming.
Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 AM   #36
LimaCharlie

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS - 2004 Silverado
Nurburging times are debatable because of the distance to complete 1 lap. Edmunds did the 8:20 SS time. Does anyone know who actually drove the car? Depending on their credentials, it's possible a stock SS could be 10 seconds quicker/slower than 8:20. With a good driver, I think a 7:55 1LE lap is possible.

2004 Black Silverado 1500 2WD Regular Cab, Short Bed
-5.3 LM7, 4L60E, 3.42, G80

2014 White Caprice PPV
-6.0 L77, 6L80E, 2.92, G80
LimaCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 02:25 AM   #37
MikeSVX
The magic smoke genie....

Drives: Jewels (2010 RJT 1SS)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
I personally think GM still lives in the Ice age when it comes to engine engineering so Direct Injected V8 keep dreaming.
I'm pretty sure they're already running the next gen DI race engines in their Corvette race cars. They've already said the next gen V8s will be direct injected, but they aren't planning on doing overhead CAMs. So they're still holding firm on to the push rods.
MikeSVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 AM   #38
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimaCharlie View Post
Nurburging times are debatable because of the distance to complete 1 lap. Edmunds did the 8:20 SS time. Does anyone know who actually drove the car? Depending on their credentials, it's possible a stock SS could be 10 seconds quicker/slower than 8:20. With a good driver, I think a 7:55 1LE lap is possible.
I'd like to see the Stig run the ring in a broken in 1LE :P THEN a boosted 1LE :P
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 AM   #39
L99CAMA2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeSVX View Post
I'm pretty sure they're already running the next gen DI race engines in their Corvette race cars. They've already said the next gen V8s will be direct injected, but they aren't planning on doing overhead CAMs. So they're still holding firm on to the push rods.
OK good then they are getting out of the ICE AGE. Should be great. Looks like the GEN 6 Camaro will be kick butt material then.
Old 08-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #40
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Not quite halfway from the SS to the ZL1. So under 8:08, but not by much.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #41
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

I'm curious if GM will put someone reputable in the 1LE for the lap or if one of the other reviewers will get there first (MotorTrend; Car and Driver; Road and Track etc).

Other and VIR and one other vid I saw, there are still no vids with them on a track and both of THOSE are GoPro versions so hard to get a good view of the car performing. Can't wait for more vids! A vid on the Ring will be Epic discussion material!
Old 08-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #42
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Guys, guys, guys, the GenV DI V8 is nearly ready for release. And yes it will still be pushrod driven. Carry on.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote