Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #85
wildpaws

Drives: 1999 Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Ah...I follow now. I wasn't on the same page. But now I am - and I agree!!

If I go any further this will turn into a 6th gen discussion, so I'll stop there.
Well gee, there is plenty of 6th gen discussion on one of those "other" sites!!
Clyde
wildpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #86
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpaws View Post
Well gee, there is plenty of 6th gen discussion on one of those "other" sites!!
Clyde
There's plenty here, too...I was trying to be thoughtful and not intrude too much on this thread with 6th gen talk...
Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #87
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Whatever wheel size they use, I can pretty much gaurentee you that the overall diameter will be the same as it is on other Camaros. Any lowering that they do (if they do any) will be in the suspension itself, not the wheel & tire.

Why? Well, they'd have to do suspension work if they're building the Z28 we want them to. So since they're already in there mucking around with the spring rates and damping ratio, it would barely cost them anything to spec it for a lower ride height.

Assuming of course that they plan on lowering the ride height. Lowering it affects not only the handling, but also how steep of a curb or driveway you can go up. It also requires a re-do of the crash tests. Will it change these things my much? No. But GM would need to spend the time and money proving that it won't change things by much if they make it ride lower than the ZL1. Just a lotta hassle for not much gain if you ask me.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:12 PM   #88
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr02Z/28 View Post
I wish GM would put together a 2015 Camaro Z/28 with a 375hp TT V-6 with a weight about 3500lbs solid rear setup with 3.90 gears and a PG tranny.... and don't forget the 8Track..

I'm being very serious... I don't want Lumbar support, 8-way adjustable power seating, Navigation, Leather/Suede, 9 speaker radio system... in other words I would forego comfort for a B*llBusting Reasonably priced Camaro.... Why does it have to compete with Ford.... Why can't it be it's own Competition, be different...
If GM does do a Z28, it will be one that they can expect to sell by the thousands, not hundreds.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM   #89
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
Honestly.... I would luv to see GM/Chevy pull a wicked move... Build/sell a Z/28, drop a LS motor in it with around 375hp and about 400lbs less weight over current Camaro... doesn't need every option available, strictly a street driver with the capabilities for very good performance that doesn't cost over $30,000......I guess I'm dreaming....
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:31 PM   #90
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Quote:
so what..... I'm saying Yes-------- I want a TT V-6
or or
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #91
mr02Z/28

Drives: 2002 Z/28,1968 Chevelle convert.
my opinion, I like the ZL1 but I think the price/MSRP is going to discourage alot of folks... Chevy/GM needs to build a car that will continue what the 5th Gen has done.... they atrracted buyers and now they need to build and continue the Legacy...
mr02Z/28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:43 PM   #92
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Honestly.... I would luv to see GM/Chevy pull a wicked move... Build/sell a Z/28, drop a LS motor in it with around 375hp and about 400lbs less weight over current Camaro... doesn't need every option available, strictly a street driver with the capabilities for very good performance that doesn't cost over $30,000......I guess I'm dreaming....
Problem is, removing content increases cost ... especially when you have to design & validate a new component that does the same thing as the existing one (for example, fixed or manually adjustable seats vs power seats). And unless you're gutting the interior there simply isn't 400 lbs available to pull out while having a car that still has mass market appeal. If there were, GM would have cut it before the car went into production.

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 12-28-2011, 08:50 PM   #93
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
my opinion, I like the ZL1 but I think the price/MSRP is going to discourage alot of folks... Chevy/GM needs to build a car that will continue what the 5th Gen has done.... they atrracted buyers and now they need to build and continue the Legacy...
What you are describing is not a Z28. Think of it this way a Z28 is to Camaro what the Z06 is to the Corvette.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 08:59 PM   #94
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
Yes, but note that the 19" tire is a Porche-specific design...they could have meddled with things to achieve that distortion. And tire-rack makes a good point: There's no industry standard to measuring tread-width, so some companies just don't publish it.

Annnnnyways....

I was reading "cg" as that of the wheels themselves (since their weight does not effect the sprung mass of the vehicle)...you seem to be talking about the car's cg?
What you were describing is probably more of a centrifical effect. The weight of the wheel is pushing further outward. Again not optimum.
What people forget is that tires can weigh nearly as much as wheels. In other words a lot of thought needs to happen for the best results.

I believe the reason the 19" wheel is wider has to do more with the aspect ratio causing a section width variation. I have concerns that the 12.2" width may rub?
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:04 PM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2cnd chance View Post
What you were describing is probably more of a centrifical effect. The weight of the wheel is pushing further outward. Again not optimum.
What people forget is that tires can weigh nearly as much as wheels. In other words a lot of thought needs to happen for the best results.

I believe the reason the 19" wheel is wider has to do more with the aspect ratio causing a section width variation. I have concerns that the 12.2" width may rub?
I just wasn't reading what everyone else was writing.

I got lost in the references.

I completely agree with what you're all saying about smaller wheels (and thus tires) being better. I would lobby for 18" wheels on the Camaro if I wasn't so enamored with the "perfect" look the 20s give it.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:28 AM   #96
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Whatever wheel size they use, I can pretty much gaurentee you that the overall diameter will be the same as it is on other Camaros. Any lowering that they do (if they do any) will be in the suspension itself, not the wheel & tire.

Why? Well, they'd have to do suspension work if they're building the Z28 we want them to. So since they're already in there mucking around with the spring rates and damping ratio, it would barely cost them anything to spec it for a lower ride height.

Assuming of course that they plan on lowering the ride height. Lowering it affects not only the handling, but also how steep of a curb or driveway you can go up. It also requires a re-do of the crash tests. Will it change these things my much? No. But GM would need to spend the time and money proving that it won't change things by much if they make it ride lower than the ZL1. Just a lotta hassle for not much gain if you ask me.
Factors to consider, going from 28+" diameter 20s to 26" 19s, include those you mention PLUS:

1) Certification/validation of the wheels and tires
2) Electronic re-do for ABS and StabiliTrak/Traction Control/PTM
3) Approach/departure angles, as mentioned
4) Ground clearance
5) Crash-testing...although here's an "opportunity": By moving the crash bar behind the front bumper UP an inch or so, you necessitate a new front facia, which offers an opportunity to get "creative". A slightly narrower upper grille opening would require a fresh grille design (near-flush, for better aero?) without re-doing headlites/signals, while a revised lower grille could also be made more flush...with ducting openings for front brake cooling ducts (offered separately through GMPP).

It's about time for Pedders Pete to share his experiences with "square" 305-19s on the Pedders Camaro, and their everyday application in daily driver circumstances...

As I mentioned earlier, the greatest knock against "shorter" 19s? LOOKS. You can't have the thing lookin' like an East L.A. lowrider on 13s...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:18 AM   #97
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Dreaming on price? Never say "never", but...

Some years ago, I was given a GMC SEMA concept vehicle to run in the One Lap of America...a tasty lil treat known internally as "Syclone 2". It was a former Milford mule used in the development of electronic 4WD, based on a Sonoma Short Box Regular Cab pickup. The powerplant was a 4.5L all-aluminum V6 built to then-Busch Grand National specs, normally aspirated (which stretched the name association!) with a Holley 750 double-pumper and a mechanical roller cam. 5-speed manual with 3.73s. Chipped back to 7,000 rpm redline (unchipped=9,500!), it STILL made 375hp...in a 3600lb. mini-truck...with selectable 4WD. Mid-range torque was its forte'. Won Pickup/SUV Class with it.

So I understand, CLEARLY, the appeal of what you speak of...but NOT as a ZEE/28. Z/36, maybe?
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176436
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #98
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
Too late; by then I expect the body design will change and I won't like the vehicle anymore. I've already seen the future from what's coming in 2012. However, still interesting to see the next GM move in response to the 2013 Mustang.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
z/28 announced this fall