Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 02-06-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
Cmicasa the Great XvX
Account Suspended

Drives: 07Taho, 11CamaroRS, 12CTSV Coupe
GET READY!!! GM Announces 2013 C7 Production start in 2012

Quote:
General Motors announced it will begin production of the C7 Corvette sports car in April of 2012 in advance of a scheduled launch as a 2013 model. The announcement was made as part of GM’s two-year product plan for its four core brands – Chevrolet, Buick, Cadillac and GMC.

This news brings the C7 to market a full year earlier that expected. The next generation Corvette was originally scheduled for a 2014 launch. It seems the General Motors, emerging from bankruptcy, is anxious to capitalize on the interest that is always created by the arrival of a new generation Corvette, and in this case, on the 60th Anniversary of Corvette.

The C7 Corvette is likely to have a smaller, lighter body using more lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium.

The new Corvette may even include a smaller, yet more efficient engine, but with its lighter body it should retain the necessary power-to-weight ratio demanded from Corvette owners. It's nearly impossible to imagine a Corvette without a V8, but some interesting options are on the table. A twin-turbo V6 is a very strong possibility," A twin-turbo version of the direct-injection 3.6-liter DOHC V6 that's currently in the Cadillac CTS could easily pump out 400 hp, just short of today's 430hp LS3 V8.

While there very well could be a V6 as the base engine, a pushrod V8 will certainly be a part of the plan as it is part of the Corvette Tradition . In light of new fuel economy restrictions from the Obama administration, the displacement will certainly be down from today's 6.2-liter and 7.0-liter engine sizes, to between 5.0- and 5.7-liter. Turbocharging and variable valve timing are distinct possibilities to make those smaller V8s comparable with today's V8. A dual-clutch gearbox is also not out of the question either if GM wants to keep up with the Porsche 911 or even the Nissan GT-R. It's still too early to know exactly what the powertrain lineup will look like, but expect three levels of performance similar to today's, base model, Z06 and ZR1. Yes, the ZR1 could live on as a C7.
To sum it up, all this also means that the Corvette design and engineering team will now have the resources and the corporate blessing to move full speed ahead on a new Corvette that could see changes to America's sports car that include a smaller, lighter body, greater use of advanced weight-saving materials like carbon fiber, aluminum and magnesium and perhaps a smaller engine but one that will still provide the power-to-weight ratio that Corvette owners have become accustomed to.

At the NCM's C5-C6 Birthday Bash in April of this year, Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter reassured the Corvette owners present that the team is always thinking about the next generation Corvette and how to make it better. Now that the mid-engine layout has once again been tossed aside, Tadge's engineering team will have essentially just a couple of years to make these engineering decisions and test them in mules which we could see as early as 2011.

Styling-wise, the car could look similar to that of the Corvette Stingray Concept that appeared at the Chicago Motor Show this year. However, in today's economy, a complete retooling of the Bowling Green plant would be very expensive ( one reason the mid-engine design was ruled out ). We believe the new C7 will be more of a transition and refinement of the C6 body style. It may be though, that the design team will see that owners would accept more of a radical departure from the looks of the C5 and C6.

GM's VP of Global Design Ed Welburn told Inside Line that the design of the new C7 Corvette will go retro much like the new Camaro and a prominent design feature will be the return of the split rear window. The next generation Corvette is expected to be launched in 2012 as a 2013 model.

The original split window appeared on the 1963 Corvette Coupe, but Chief Engineer Zora Arkus-Duntov hated the feature due to its limited visibility and in 1964 it was removed. Welburn addresses the visibility issue by saying "With the back-up cameras and blind-spot detection systems that we have these days, the visibility issue is much less of a problem."

The Corvette Stingray Concept that appeared in the latest Transformers movie also has a split rear window. "That car is not the next Corvette." says Welburn, "But the split-window is something that I expect for the next Corvette."

Welburn was the driving force behind the new reborn Camaro and is a big fan of the Corvette Stingray concept design as evidenced in this previously released Stingray Concept Introduction video.

As stated earlier, Inside Line says the C7 Corvette will have the traditional front-engine, rear drive layout.
Sources: Inside Line, via CorvetteForum.com, svtperformance.com and Corvetteblogger.com
Cmicasa the Great XvX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Isn't this....kinda old?

Good news, absolutely. But....old.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:32 PM   #3
305pride

Drives: 3.4l 1995 camaro
finally a new corvette, the current one is awesome but is slacking in sales, i do not wana see a v6 in any corvette though. the split window is interesting, but i do hope they keep the huge trunk space lmao
Old 02-06-2010, 07:49 PM   #4
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Thumbs up

Man, I hope it doesn't look anything like that concept.
tones2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
JBsC6

Drives: 2008 Blk C6 Z51 NPP
Can't wait till it releases. Own a c6 z51 now and its awesome still would like to see the corvette get even better! Great car.

thanks for the heads up.

JB
Old 02-06-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320junkie View Post
Yeah it's coming earlier...booo on that concept I am glad that GM has said it wont look anything like it
That's not what they said....
Old 02-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #7
ZNOLMT

Drives: Rally Yellow 2LT
Personally, I think that the headlights, grille and tail lights look disgusting on the concept. If they could make those areas look decent, it would be a much more beautiful car.

Other than those parts, it has a great shape, and the interior of the concept is awesome too.

Something between the C6 and the Stingray concept would be really nice.

I'm looking forward to the C7 corvette.
ZNOLMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 08:41 PM   #8
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
lol thats what I heard
Semantics, really -- I'm just pullin' your leg.

Welburn confirmed a split rear-window, and Tom Peters said: "It’s not the C7, but that’s not to say there aren’t elements in here that can translate into what the C7’s about."

So. Yeah -- the Stingray isn't the C7.
Old 02-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #9
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
YES!!!!!!!!!! Got you to say it...kachuuga kachuuga..lol

The parts are greater than the whole. In this case...that interior looks darn-close to production-ready, wouldn't you say?
Old 02-06-2010, 08:59 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
yeppers!!
Sucks for me...makes me make choices....
Old 02-06-2010, 09:04 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
You already know where I side...
*mechanical breathing*

I do....and I have too many variables to juggle to actually pick a side.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:50 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
*mechanical breathing*

I do....and I have too many variables to juggle to actually pick a side.
why pick a side? why not rule both?
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:52 PM   #13
Mr. Wyndham

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
why pick a side? why not rule both?
Requires double the investment....I have yet to take over my locality and redirect funds...so we'll see.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:55 PM   #14
garagelogic
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Shelby GT500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
Man, I hope it doesn't look anything like that concept.
Quote:
...booo on that concept I am glad that GM has said it wont look anything like it
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZNOLMT View Post
I'm looking forward to the C7 corvette.
x2
garagelogic is offline   Reply With Quote