Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

View Poll Results: Which SS will you choose?
LS3 129 69.73%
L99 56 30.27%
Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-13-2008, 10:17 PM   #15
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
fyi, if any of you caught that podcast this morning on Camaroz28.com, Cheryl made mention of the Tapshift controls. She said it'll let you go all the way to redline and leave it there (unlike the Challenger), it'll do what YOU want, and it'll do it fast!

Old 10-13-2008, 10:18 PM   #16
Jamestwilliams

Drives: Grand Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyFever View Post
I guess the good thing about the L99 is that if less folks order it, the easier it will be for GM to fill the demand. (fingers crossed)
Not to burst your bubble but this is an enthusiast site so you'll probably see a higher proportion of manual transmission users here than in the general public.
Jamestwilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #17
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
That's good news. I need to go check out that podcast.
I assumed once the pricing broke last night that the podcast was no longer worthwhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamestwilliams View Post
Not to burst your bubble but this is an enthusiast site so you'll probably see a higher proportion of manual transmission users here than in the general public.
I agree, but like you said, enthusiasts........
is the general public pre-ordering????? Not many, I'm sure, especially not on the first few days.......

Last edited by TAG UR IT; 10-20-2008 at 01:28 AM. Reason: double post
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:36 PM   #18
Cole317

Drives: 71 Hemi Cuda
Quote:
By the way never apologise for asking questions I mean what are you Canadian?
haha no, American and proud of it:flag2:
And one more question, can you turn off traction control in the auto? and i'm gonna be super bummed if the limited slip diff. is only for the manual.
I want a stick so bad for performance, and so it will actually be me driving, not a computer, but there is a lot of traffic here...... i dont know what to do
Cole317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:40 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
on the SS, the auto will have a limited-slip. On the V6 models, it won't....don't ask me why.

But the Traction control can be turned off, and in the SS, it can also be switched from full-on, to "sport-mode".
Old 10-13-2008, 10:42 PM   #20
Jamestwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole317 View Post
haha no, American and proud of it:flag2:
And one more question, can you turn off traction control in the auto? and i'm gonna be super bummed if the limited slip diff. is only for the manual.
I want a stick so bad for performance, and so it will actually be me driving, not a computer, but there is a lot of traffic here...... i dont know what to do
Being that you get tap shift and from what someone stated above it gives you total control, it kind of makes up for not having a manual. So if the traffic is too stop and go for a stick it's not as much of a let down getting an auto as it was in the past.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:49 PM   #21
Tal

Drives: Old
Well the Corvette auto they are using is nice and I would consider it if driving in bad traffic every day, but I don't have that much traffic to deal with right now and that means the $1k upcharge just isn't tempting.
Tal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #22
Cole317

Drives: 71 Hemi Cuda
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
on the SS, the auto will have a limited-slip. On the V6 models, it won't....don't ask me why.

But the Traction control can be turned off, and in the SS, it can also be switched from full-on, to "sport-mode".
Concerning the traction control, your talking about the auto right? cause if you are, i'm ordering a Camaro tomorrow! I'm so happy the auto will have the limited slip diff, but will the auto have launch control? Like a similar set-up as the new GT-R.

-thanks for your guys' help!
Cole317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:02 PM   #23
Jamestwilliams

Quote:
Concerning the traction control, your talking about the auto right? cause if you are, i'm ordering a Camaro tomorrow! I'm so happy the auto will have the limited slip diff, but will the auto have launch control? Like a similar set-up as the new GT-R.

-thanks for your guys' help!
You mean the press this button to void warrantee and kill gearbox launch control, no I don't think the Camaro will have anything like the GT-Rs launch control, it will come with a system that works, and has been used trouble free in the Corvette. But then again that's what happens when the GTRs sister car is the sentra and the Camaros big brother is the Corvette (I am sorry to any women on this site I have innadvertanlty offended).
Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM   #24
headpunter
Not That sad..considering

Drives: Man
Send a message via AIM to headpunter
Launch control is launch control is launch control. the systems all work the same.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:12 PM   #25
RallyFever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
END OF 2010 RUN

Anyone know when the 2010 production run ends and the 2011 run begins?
I assume the 2010 run will be lengthy due to the early release.
Thoughts???
RallyFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 11:38 PM   #26
Jamestwilliams

Quote:
Originally Posted by headpunter View Post
Launch control is launch control is launch control. the systems all work the same.
If your referring to me I know that I just like taking jabs at the GT-R, it's kind of sad actually becasue the original GT-Rs had so much going for them.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 PM   #27
LSxJunkie
Snark snark snark

Drives: RX350
Quote:
I'm sorry but i have a couple questions, yes ive searched but im really confused now..
1-Is launch control only available on the MT? im pretty sure this is a yes, but the new GT-R is paddle shift and it has launch control (doesnt have clutch pedal...i think)
2-Is the limited slip diff only for manual?
3-Can you get the 4 pack gauges in the automatic?
thanks i really appreciate it!
The GT-R isn't an automatic. It's a dual clutch semi-manual transmission. Two clutches each control 3 of the 6 gears, making shifts seamless and virtually instantaneous. However, this means that you have clutches, which what lets launch control work. Same thing with Ferrari's F1 transmission and BMWs SMG, but those are just electronically shifted manual transmissions with computer controlled clutches.

You want the same effect out of a true planetary gear automatic like the 6l80e? 3200 Stall torque converter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyFever View Post
L99 for me

22 less HP, but faster times 0-60 and 1/4 mile due to efficiency of tapshift "shift points"

Plus, I'm handing this down to my son when he gets his license.
The automatic will be more consistant, but not faster. At the end of the day, an automatic won't let you keep your foot to the floor while you row the gears. There are a lot of reasons to buy an automatic. However, I know which way I'll go every time, given the choice.

Quote:
You mean the press this button to void warrantee and kill gearbox launch control, no I don't think the Camaro will have anything like the GT-Rs launch control, it will come with a system that works, and has been used trouble free in the Corvette. But then again that's what happens when the GTRs sister car is the sentra and the Camaros big brother is the Corvette (I am sorry to any women on this site I have innadvertanlty offended).
Launch control in the C6? O rly. By launch control, you mean a clutch pedal and a disciplined right foot? The HHR and Cobalt SS have launch control, the C6 doesn't. However, seeing the analogy you just made, you might just wanna ignore that.
Old 10-14-2008, 02:16 AM   #28
Evotion
Warehouse 13 Survivor!!!!

Drives: '13 ZL1 - 69' Camaro
Have to go with the LS3 because of my fear of eventually modding the L99, so M6 it is.

If they decide to offer a LS3 A6 when I take possesion of my convertible, then I would most likely go with the A6.
Evotion is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
422 hp, l99, ls3, ss model