Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-08-2007, 12:07 PM   #43
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
I know it isn't a "truck" engine but why not just use the LS series engines leave it in the trucks. is it cheaper to build or something? I would probabally be buying a G8 if it came with an LS2 or 3 but 360 HP isn't enough for me in that car, ( my buddy just bought an audi S5. so i'd be beat before i started lol

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 07:41 PM   #44
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Using a higher grade fuel than required does not improve performance. Theres no ultra simple "upgrade" like that. 92 doesn't equal "fast" it just deals with the combustion of the gasoline mixture. Using 92 in a car that requires 87 will do absolutely nothing, except maybe eventually cause some carbon build up. Don't confuse 87 with low-grade gasoline.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2007, 10:47 PM   #45
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
Using a higher grade fuel than required does not improve performance. Theres no ultra simple "upgrade" like that. 92 doesn't equal "fast" it just deals with the combustion of the gasoline mixture. Using 92 in a car that requires 87 will do absolutely nothing, except maybe eventually cause some carbon build up. Don't confuse 87 with low-grade gasoline.
Absolutely right! But I think what he was getting at (correct me if I'm wrong) was that the cars he owns, at least the foriegn ones, required higher grade gasoline to start immediately. And now that I think of it, I mentioned that my 'Maro runs fine on regular-grade gas (87)...it does...but it takes 20 seconds at least, to start up, it also involves some pumping of the gas pedal (carburator)...
Old 08-10-2007, 05:22 AM   #46
unkbd

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMatt View Post
I agree.....however the higher the piston compression ratio the higher octane fuel you ought to use. I know that if I use less than 97 octane in the vette there is alot of pinging going on under the hood. Granted it is not the stock motor under there and the idle may be set a little low. It just runs better on the higher octane stuff. Runs superb on 107.
unkbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 09:45 AM   #47
Mr. Wyndham

97...107...:eek: what kind of compression are you running in that thing!?!?
Old 08-10-2007, 10:16 PM   #48
JeepinMatt

Drives: '99 Wrangler
Quote:
Originally Posted by unkbd View Post
I agree.....however the higher the piston compression ratio the higher octane fuel you ought to use. I know that if I use less than 97 octane in the vette there is alot of pinging going on under the hood. Granted it is not the stock motor under there and the idle may be set a little low. It just runs better on the higher octane stuff. Runs superb on 107.
Very true. I just mean to point out to people driving stock Civics, Cobalts, and Ford Rangers that putting 93 in won't make it go faster. I've actually got plans to stroke the 4.0L I6 in my Wrangler out to 4.5L, then bore it .030 over for a grand total of 4.6L. When I was in the shop discussing lift plans, we got to the topic of engines. One guy insisted that the octane is determined by the displacement. I kept trying to tell him that it was based on compression ratio, but eventually I gave up.
JeepinMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:56 PM   #49
unkbd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
97...107...:eek: what kind of compression are you running in that thing!?!?
The exact compression i don't know. If I had to guess I would say better than 12. In a nut shell (my uncle had this put together balanced and blueprinted so I am not sure of specifics) it is a 350 block, bored out (I assume .40 over), oval track racing cam, aluminium racing heads, solid lifters, hi rise aluminium intake, Holley double pumper coupled to four speed manual transmission and all neatly packaged in the body of a 76 corvette. He said he had it dyno'd and it came in at over 500hp. I had first shot at buying it from him when he could no longer push the clutch pedal in (favorite nephew). Oh and it red lines where the stock tach has no more numbers.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:08 PM   #50
Mr. Wyndham

No wonder you need 97 octane with a 12+ compression ratio! :eek: That's one heluva car! You hang on to that!
Old 08-11-2007, 01:16 AM   #51
unkbd

12 + is just a guess on my part, but it wouldn't surprise me. ....Forgot to mention the 3" hooker headers w/dumps. It is funny....on gravel where the tail pipes point down at idle the smaller gravel gets puffed away by the exhaust......fun to drive!!!!
Old 08-12-2007, 02:06 AM   #52
Other Side

Drives: 2000 Camaro Z28
So I got to drive a new LS3 Corvette today...
Oh my god.
That thing was amazing.
I didn't get to drive it for long enough to get a really comfortable feel of it, I just kept it in auto (as opposed to paddle shift). It still kicked some major ass.

I haven't gotten to drive a Corvette before, so I don't know if it's the extra HP or just the fact that it's a Corvette. Either way, I just know I need to have something like it.
Other Side is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 03:11 PM   #53
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Side View Post
So I got to drive a new LS3 Corvette today...
Oh my god.
That thing was amazing.
I didn't get to drive it for long enough to get a really comfortable feel of it, I just kept it in auto (as opposed to paddle shift). It still kicked some major ass.

I haven't gotten to drive a Corvette before, so I don't know if it's the extra HP or just the fact that it's a Corvette. Either way, I just know I need to have something like it.
yes its the corvette, shes a thing of beauty. how tight were the shifts, mainly coming out if first?
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:56 AM   #54
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
over on ls1tech fbodfather replied to this guys post about the new camaro having an ls2 instead of an ls3. here are his words plain and simple...
"And you heard it here FIRST that you're wrong.......

..........and just atwixt us....what would you like on those words when they're served up?????"

I don't think we need to speculate anymore...seems pretty clear to me we are gonna be getting an ls3.

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 10:41 AM   #55
Mr. Wyndham

Good. Haha!! I'm now so much happier about this car. I mean, I was before, but I'm even happier now!

Dark Knight, could you possibly post up a link to that conversation? I want to read the whole argument that drew Scott out of hiding .
Old 08-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #56
Dark Knight
Does it come in BLACK?

Drives: 2001 FIREBIRD (for now!!)
Send a message via Yahoo to Dark Knight
here ya go....his is the last post.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761587

Good things come to those who wait
Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote