Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 03-27-2008, 04:07 PM   #43
Evil Destroyer of Death

Drives: 68 RS-70 RS-89 IROC-Z-99SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries View Post
Man MCPOAJ & SilverTurtle you guys are a bunch of excuse making whiners. Your "beloved" corvette got smoked, deal with it. All this "the weather was wrong", "the tires were no good", "the computer drives the car", blah blah blah, wannhh, wannhh, wannhh. For the record the vette has the widest tires of the group and did manage to post .99g on the skid pad and 70.6 mph in the slalom so the tires can't be that bad. Do you honestly think different street tires would have made up 5 seconds a lap? And for the weather, all three cars delt with the same conditions so this is a pointless remark. Do you think only the vette would have gained grip in warmer conditions? I don't think so. Now for MCPOAJ comment that the "computer drives the GT-R". Lets not forget the vette has a state-of-the-art yaw-control system that helps drive the car too. Face the facts guys, no amount of weather or tires would have helped the vette overcome over a 5 second a lap difference. Sorry. I don't think the new ZR1 would have beat it.
Yea good tires can easily make up that difference. But that what tire comes with the cars, so end of story. Does Nissan ever want to attempt a GT1 class at the 24 hour of Lemans. You know where only the best compete for top honors and bragging rights. By the way, how many years in a row has the Corvette team won the ALMS. How many Lemans victories? Just curious.
Evil Destroyer of Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:01 PM   #44
rmyers

Drives: Both American Made
The GTR is technically superior to all of them, but the Z06 is the finest looking. IMHO. Lets not hate on Nissan for having the guts to build it and bring it to the US. I just read an article that said during testing the driver was able to put down consistent 0-60 times of 3.3 seconds on a factory stock car. Word has it that 3.2 second times have been experienced as well. The Z06 is still my first choice but I really wish they would offer a dual-clutch type transmission. That is the only thing for me, that is lacking.
rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 08:36 PM   #45
Jeff
~ANTI-FORD~

Drives: Cadillac CTS
Send a message via MSN to Jeff
Just wait for the ZR-1 ;]

sorry guys.. sold Camaro and got a Cadillac CTS, waiting for a few years to get a 2010 SS used ;]
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 10:19 PM   #46
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Just wait for the ZR-1 ;]
It'll have lots of little GTR bugs in it's grille.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 PM   #47
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Motor Trend has an answer as to why the GT-R is giving such times. Nissan is lying about power. After doing a few dyno runs, they figure its making at least 500 hp, possibly as high as 574 depending on driveline losses. And that is according to the SAE rating system. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._analysis.html
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 10:35 AM   #48
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
Motor Trend has an answer as to why the GT-R is giving such times. Nissan is lying about power. After doing a few dyno runs, they figure its making at least 500 hp, possibly as high as 574 depending on driveline losses. And that is according to the SAE rating system. http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/..._analysis.html
Does it really matter if they're lieing? The point is the GT-R is a good car. As for the 574....that is a huge joke. It is a 3.8 V6 running just over 10 psi of boost. GET REAL! They have this thing called the "gentleman's rule" too I guess that they can't post horsepower ratings over 480hp... Expect the v-spec edition to combat the Zr-1 btw.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #49
Aries

Drives: GTS VIPER, GS400,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Destroyer of Death View Post
Yes the GT-R does seem to be faster then the Z06 on the track, but is not the Vette's traction limited to those GoodYear F1 S.C. ("granny panties") EMT's? That said is it not true that the GT-R is running on a special Dunlop SP Sport 600 that is basically a road course tire?

I'd sure like to see the the current Z06 be fitted with some serious rubber for accuracy of its track performance abilities.
Ok, again, the GTR doesn't seem faster it IS faster. And no it's NOT true the SP 600 is a road corse tire. http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080103/clth003.html?.v=101

If the tires are so bad on the Vette, how do you explain the .99 skid pad and the impressive slalom numbers? Also how do you explain the GTR being that much faster than the AWD 911?
Aries is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 03:31 PM   #50
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I believe...as it was stated by a Nissan engineer- The GT-R doesn't defy the laws of physics, it just uses them to its advantage...or something like that lol.
Old 03-29-2008, 03:58 PM   #51
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle2k View Post
Does it really matter if they're lieing? The point is the GT-R is a good car. As for the 574....that is a huge joke. It is a 3.8 V6 running just over 10 psi of boost. GET REAL! They have this thing called the "gentleman's rule" too I guess that they can't post horsepower ratings over 480hp... Expect the v-spec edition to combat the Zr-1 btw.
The fact that their lying doesn't matter, GM's been doing the same trick for years. Its important because it explains the results. I agree that 574 hp is a tad too high, but something in the area of 540 might explain things pretty good. We have been saying from the start that its not possible for a 3800 lb car with 480 hp to run times like the Z06, despite tires, awd, launch control, etc. It doesn't work out. Well those issues can be laid to rest now because the GT-R isn't making 480 hp. its making 500 something in addition to having all those gizmos.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote