Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-30-2008, 01:07 AM   #15
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Drives: '87 5.7L Iroc-Z
Would that specific engine (the 4 cyl) work well in a Camaro?..
I mean.. considering it was made for...the Saturn Sky (right?) and the Pontiac Solstice..?..
smaller cars...(than camaro, obviously)
would this engine really put out enough power to be an effective "4 cyl turbo" as opposed to the designed V6 & V8's for it that could easily have massive ammounts of power if *turbo'd* ..

would it not be like:
a Toyota Camry trying to tow a Horse Trailer (4 Cyl turbo in a Camaro)
as opposed to:
a Chevy Silverado 2500 HD pulling a Horse Trailer (V6/V8 in a Camaro)

if you get my analogy?

this is a legit question btw..not tryin to seem like an ass or anything..
im genuinely curious.

I personally just see it as a really small something trying to pull another something thats just way too damn big..(not saying the Camaro is too damn big) - I think its a nice sized car...for a V6/V8..

and no im not knocking the 4 Cyl, i think it'd be an interesting risk to take.
currently my Ford Taurus..eats more gas driving it hard (in a 1 hour & 30 minute period), than it does driving it "nicely" , in a 4 day period of driving it whenever.
I guess my main concern is gas..which of corse im gonna be told to "get a different car" but..for one thing. I dont want a different car..cuz the 5th gen camaro is too badass. for another thing..if the 4 Cyl turbo puts out enough power to beat piddly mustangs & I'm assuming chargers too?..why not go for it if you're not a "hardcore racer".
as for myself, i love gunning it against other cars whenever, even tho I drive a ford taurus..would be awesome to have a faster car (that could beat the charger & mustang) in a "gun it on green" circumstance. - and not have the car eat up half the tank doing so.
even tho "gunning it on green" is looked down upon for "safety" standards..
(i realize this) ..I'm careful about it.
I've been driving for 3 years now and i haven't gotten even a scratch on the taurus (minus an incident where i left the stupid car in reverse..but thats another story) Lol..
anyway i think I pretty much voiced my opinion about this..any input as to how i'm right or wrong would be appreciated..
and just to add..I've just recently gotten into the whole car scene so im a smidgen ignorant to some of the more technical things.

"Camaro Z/28 is back. Gentlemen, Don't even bother to start your engines."
MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 AM   #16
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I really don't think the size of the engine to the size of the car falls along the same lines as the size of a tower to the size of the load towed. My grandma's Rav4 has a I4 and in general mass is probably pretty close to what the Camaro will be. It scoots that car along plenty well. We had to beg her to not get the V6. She can be the little old lady from Pasadena sometimes. She even used to own a Camaro and talked about missing that V8 power when buying the Rav...but I digress. Anyway a 4 cyl of that power should have no problem moving a car the Camaro's size. I mean the WRX can get a bit up there in weight (not quite Camaro weight, but still well enough north of 3000 lbs) and it sure scoots just fine with a 4 cyl. To put your mind at ease though GM has been testing this exact engine in its full size cars, so they're making sure your worries are addressed. Its actually a very good question, and one I've considered myself. After thinking about it, I would say the answer is no, the engine isn't too small.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:55 AM   #17
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Like stovt said, we had a HUGE conversation about the turbo 4. It was getting so outta hand that Scott had to jump in to calm a bunch of people down.

Now, there's nothing wrong with a turbo4. I'm all for it if it helps to keep the Camaro alive. I'm not interested in purchasing a turbo4. Therefore, I'm not as interested in talking about it over the V8. Just because I don't talk about doesn't mean I'm against it, don't like it, or don't want GM to build it. Let'em.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #18
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

yeah when i think of 4 cyl i think of those pod ricers..
but hey if they can make it work well in a camaro..then maybe it'll give 4 cyls a new name eh?
I was also wondering about all that AFM stuff...
how in the world would that work..shutting off half the cylinders..if you're gonna punch it.. would that not eat up even more gas to get them pumping again, than it would to even have that "benefit" ?
is there a switch to turn them on & off?.. (that'd be better..no?)
& given that its a relatively new innovation..(will be in a racing car at least-i think) would it not have a great potential to ruin?..given the extra on & off-ness of the cylinders?..I realize anything "new" has a potential to ruin..but wouldnt this put the engine under even more duress than having a regular V6/V8?
I realize im getting a little off topic here- sorry..

Old 05-30-2008, 02:00 AM   #19
Mindz
E.B.A.H.

Drives: you wild...
Location: In the happy padded room wearing a jacket that makes me hug myself...
Tag

I said it before. If it sells enough camaros to keep our v8 version, bring it along.

Also helps with ricers who think I have a 4 cyl and end up roasting marshmallows on my burnout marks counting the money I won from the wager...
Old 05-30-2008, 02:04 AM   #20
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Like stovt said, we had a HUGE conversation about the turbo 4. It was getting so outta hand that Scott had to jump in to calm a bunch of people down.
I unfortunately am on dial up and wasnt able to flip through all the tons of pages of 4 cyl convo. (takes too long) hehe.
but yeah sorry bout that i'll stfu bout it. lolz.

Old 05-30-2008, 02:25 AM   #21
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^MAC, don't worry about it! It was a while ago...a month or two ago that the 4 cylinder stuff was announced.

As for the AFM, there is no driver operated switch. When the rpm's are low enough and you aren't pushing too much gas into the engine, the engine shuts off half of its cylinders. The only way you would EVER notice is when the LED display in front of you tells you that it went from 6 to 3 cylinders. Don't think the AFM would work w/ a turbo 4, though.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:55 AM   #22
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

oh nah i wasnt suggesting try afm with 4 cyl, lol
but with the afm..(with V6/V8) when you're stopped at a light..or just idling..are all cyls going? (incase you decided to punch it) or are half of them cyls off at that time?..
cuz if only half were going just before you punched it, wouldnt that screw it up?..(make it work too harder to get all cyls going on time)
and then they are on - when at city speeds?.. yeah?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:42 AM   #23
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Yes. At very low speeds, and idle - the whole engine is running. It uses such a small amount of fuel to idle, cutting half the cylinders would be negligable.

I think the exact conditions in which AFM activates is slightly different for every car, but the general idea is for it to come on during cruising speeds/low engine loads. About the time it takes to activate/deactivate - we're talking hundreths of a second; there's no lag - and you won't notice it happening if not (like Tag said) for the little thingy in the dash. It's seamless.
Old 05-30-2008, 10:01 AM   #24
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
that ecotec isn't a weak motor by any means, its more powerful than juust about anything put into a third gen. And it has the torque to match. But I don't think that it would be able to deliver any mileage miracles compared to the V6.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:24 PM   #25
MAC
Iroc-Z <3'r

sounds pretty cool
I'm guessing they haven't gotten a chance to test it 10+ years down the road tho?

Old 05-30-2008, 08:06 PM   #26
Chogan2200

Drives: 96 Cavalier "Scarlet"
wow, I'm gone for 24 hours and this is how much the thread grows haha.

Would one of yall mind providing me a link to that "hot debate" about the I4? I'm totally open to bigger motors but I gotta be honest, before I came here, I was in love with the TC Cobalt. That was before I found out the price range the Camaro's would be offered in. I know the 4cylinder turbo would be really popular with the tuner crowd and I trust that GM is not going to turn it's muscle look into a sport compact look,....not that there's anything wrong with sport compact.
Chogan2200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 08:39 PM   #27
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
First talk of the Turbo4 Camaro
Continued talk of the turbo4 Camaro

That first one was crazy: 270 posts in under 12 hours. Everyone got a little excited (in a bad way). So the first was closed and the second one created.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 09:55 PM   #28
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't want to call that particular 4-banger a weak engine. It's a competitor for sure. I just don't think it belongs in a Camaro. Granted, it will wax some old V6s, but I don't want someone pulling up next to me all cocky because they thought they waxed a muscle car. I think the Camaro should outperform. If a 4-cylinder is to be introduced, it needs to be significantly different in appearance so everyone knows it's not a V6 or a V8.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote