Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-24-2007, 01:33 PM   #85
i want 1

Drives: 2002 harley davidson heritage
thanks Casull, for the welcome.
i agree with u 100%. nothing is really fact untill it hits the road. the specs on the upcomming vette are not fact. motortrend is where i got most of my info on the vette. i was watching a camaro video on you-tube and one of the designers stated that the new camaro was going to share much of the suspension the the CTS-V has on it now.wich is why i thought that the V is the z=platform. and that the pricing was going to be 200. more than a base mustang gt. wich is 24,461 and msrp is 26,440. so in 08 figure the base stang price will go up a few hundred and the camaro will be 200 or more ubove that. so again it shouldn't be no more that 28k msrp for that sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz camaro.

the price i quoted on the base corvette is just the,the base pricing. msrp is 45,075. i thought that because we are all talking about base pricing that i would state that number and not msrp. just so we are clear. no biggie though.

and i am not sure about the zeta platform either. u could be right.

thanks again.
jay.
i want 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:04 PM   #86
Casull

Drives: Chevy Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by i want 1 View Post
thanks Casull, for the welcome.
i agree with u 100%. nothing is really fact untill it hits the road. the specs on the upcomming vette are not fact. motortrend is where i got most of my info on the vette. i was watching a camaro video on you-tube and one of the designers stated that the new camaro was going to share much of the suspension the the CTS-V has on it now.wich is why i thought that the V is the z=platform. and that the pricing was going to be 200. more than a base mustang gt. wich is 24,461 and msrp is 26,440. so in 08 figure the base stang price will go up a few hundred and the camaro will be 200 or more ubove that. so again it shouldn't be no more that 28k msrp for that sweeeeeeeeeeeeeet azzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz camaro.

the price i quoted on the base corvette is just the,the base pricing. msrp is 45,075. i thought that because we are all talking about base pricing that i would state that number and not msrp. just so we are clear. no biggie though.

and i am not sure about the zeta platform either. u could be right.

thanks again.
jay.

I see what you were saying about the CTS-V. One thing to keep in mind is that two cars can share the same suspension and not necessarily be built on the same platform. If I remember right, the concept actually uses the CTS-V's suspension all together. We will see.

I do know that GM has stated multiple times that the Camaro will be prices within a few hundred of a mustang, so you ar right that we should see a V8 for under 30k... I just hope that V8 comes with an LS on it.
Casull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2007, 03:14 PM   #87
i want 1

i hope so too. but whatever it is i really,really hope its a lite car

also i can't wait for it to come out so SLP can come out with a loud mouth cat-back. i've seen the vidoes of it with what i guess is going to be the stock exhaust and it sounds sweet as hell. but if thats not the exhaust it comes with we will need the SLP l/m.
Old 04-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #88
Bruno

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS
Haven't logged on in a while so reading this for the first time.

You know even though I won't be able to afford an LS3 version of this car, I'll just be glad that they make it. I want there to be a monster of a "halo" version of this car because it will give the car a completely different image than if they don't really offer anything really exciting in terms of power. Guess what I'm saying is that my V6 or regular V8 Camaro will benefit in image from an LS3 version.
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 01:42 PM   #89
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by i want 1 View Post
i hope so too. but whatever it is i really,really hope its a lite car

also i can't wait for it to come out so SLP can come out with a loud mouth cat-back. i've seen the vidoes of it with what i guess is going to be the stock exhaust and it sounds sweet as hell. but if thats not the exhaust it comes with we will need the SLP l/m.

I hope it is a light car too, but weight is the name of the game these days unfortunately.

The Shelby GT500 is a good example how heavy cars are getting again. The Mustang GT coupe weighs in at 35XXlbs depending on options. IMHO that isn't too bad, but not great either. The GTO weighed in at 37XXlbs. Even the Nissan 350Z, a two seater Japanese sports car with a small 3.5L engine is in the 3200-3300lb area.

If the new Camaro can come in under 3750lbs I will be happy.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2007, 03:05 PM   #90
i want 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock36 View Post
I hope it is a light car too, but weight is the name of the game these days unfortunately.

The Shelby GT500 is a good example how heavy cars are getting again. The Mustang GT coupe weighs in at 35XXlbs depending on options. IMHO that isn't too bad, but not great either. The GTO weighed in at 37XXlbs. Even the Nissan 350Z, a two seater Japanese sports car with a small 3.5L engine is in the 3200-3300lb area.

If the new Camaro can come in under 3750lbs I will be happy.
i agree with u. as long as its not at 3700 or above. i guess that would be o.k.
Old 04-26-2007, 07:10 PM   #91
i want 1

read this.
http://www.motortrend.com/features/a..._corvette_z07/

i don't know what to think of this. but this is what i was talking about before when we were saying what engine is goin into the vette. it is probable that we won't see a s/c camaro putting down more power than a base vette.

when the c5 era ended chevy put the old z06 motor into the current base corvette. and it looks like it could/will happen again. thats why i was saying that the camaro will prolly have two v-8's available. 1-36x h/p and the other 400 h/p. if there is an ss model with a s/c it won't come near the base corvette out of 505 h/p in the upcomming c-7.
i hope u guys understand what i'm saying. i'm not trying to start a war here,i just want us all to be realistic with whatto expect power wise when this beast comes out. i know that its just a bunch of talk between magazines, but when u think about what has happened in the past and what is being said as to what motor is going to go in the c-7 vette it makes sence.
what do ya's think??
thanks for reading jay.
Old 04-26-2007, 08:57 PM   #92
Casull

The base corvette with 500 HP... seems like an aweful lot for a base model, but I guess with the new LS3 at 430-450Hp, 500 is the next logical progression. I just wonder how far it will go. I mean, if this is true, the by 2010 the vette will have a base HP of 500; that is an improvement of 150 HP in only 6 years.

Seeing as how the Camaro has in recent times always had the same engine as the base vette, it makes you wonder if we will not see a 500Hp Z28. I like the sound of that!
Old 04-26-2007, 10:42 PM   #93
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Actually, it's quite possible. GM, I'm sure, has thought about the engine options for the Camaro conflicting w/ those of the vette. They might be concerned that more people would want to buy the new Camaro over the Vette just because they are getting a better motor w/ more hp and saving thousands. I could easily see GM boosting up the power of the vette in a base model just so the public would see who will always be "on top" of the two. Just saying it's a possibility.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #94
3whiterag
GM Powertrain Retired

Drives: 67SS350, 87 IROC L98, 96SS ver
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
Actually, it's quite possible. GM, I'm sure, has thought about the engine options for the Camaro conflicting w/ those of the vette. They might be concerned that more people would want to buy the new Camaro over the Vette just because they are getting a better motor w/ more hp and saving thousands. I could easily see GM boosting up the power of the vette in a base model just so the public would see who will always be "on top" of the two. Just saying it's a possibility.
Check mark.
3whiterag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 04:29 PM   #95
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
This stuff (articles) is great for conversation, but - Remember when MotorTrend was sure that the Vette would get a 403 hp engine...taking this stuff with a grain of salt is an understatment!
Old 04-29-2007, 02:04 AM   #96
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
They could always throw in an identical motor and underrate it like the 4th gen. I'm quite certain I wouldn't be running consistent low 13's stock if I only had 310 HP at the crank. 310 at the ground is more like it. An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. Changes to it over the years were across the board, be it in the 'Vette or the F cars. It very well could end up the same way with the new generation. There is definitely more differences in the cars than in the past. The Camaro with it's four seats, IRS(it better not be crap) and powerful motor going up against the current ultimate sports coupe, the BMW M3, and the Corvette, a two seat sports car taking on the world's exotics. I don't see what the problem is. Horsepower ratings don't mean squat in the real world. The Corvette will still be 400-700lbs lighter, and will always be more exclusive and in a completely different class than the Camaro.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2007, 09:17 AM   #97
Casull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFSNightrod View Post
They could always throw in an identical motor and underrate it like the 4th gen. I'm quite certain I wouldn't be running consistent low 13's stock if I only had 310 HP at the crank. 310 at the ground is more like it. An LS1 is an LS1 is an LS1. Changes to it over the years were across the board, be it in the 'Vette or the F cars. It very well could end up the same way with the new generation. There is definitely more differences in the cars than in the past. The Camaro with it's four seats, IRS(it better not be crap) and powerful motor going up against the current ultimate sports coupe, the BMW M3, and the Corvette, a two seat sports car taking on the world's exotics. I don't see what the problem is. Horsepower ratings don't mean squat in the real world. The Corvette will still be 400-700lbs lighter, and will always be more exclusive and in a completely different class than the Camaro.
I agree. I don't think it is a problem. If you talk to just about any Vette owner, they understand what makes their car a Vette besides the name. It is the general public that gets lured into the horsepower marketing ploy that every auto manufacturer uses. "Why would anyone spend $20k more for a Corvette with the same horsepower as a Camaro?" Vette owners realize moreso than most people the great benefits of light weight and aerodynamics!

I want an '08 C6 Soooooooo badly.
Old 04-29-2007, 10:05 AM   #98
AFSNightrod
Back in Black

Drives: 2005 Cadillac CTS-V
Send a message via AIM to AFSNightrod Send a message via Yahoo to AFSNightrod
Exactly. If I could afford it, or the price of a fully loaded Camaro in '09 is around the same price as a used '06-'07 C6 Z06, my money is going to the Corvette.
AFSNightrod is offline   Reply With Quote