Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 05-12-2008, 05:48 PM   #57
gladiatoro

Drives: 1981 Z28 Camaro
With gas prices going up and up probably hitting 2.00 per liter within the next 2 years I think a Turbo 4 is very likely . then of course the caddy v6 300+ HP ,the vette LS3 Z28 430+ HP and the top dog Camaro SS with a LS7 or equivalent well north of 500 hp. Some or all of these engines will have DIRECT INJECTION due to more HP and better fuel economy which is great. People don't forget the CHALLENGER IS A TANK it weighs almost 4200 pounds so even the base Z28 with 430+hp will KILL IT and the SS will slaughter anything even a 550+ hp CHALLLENGER why you ask simple
my guess is the Z28 or SS Camaro will come in at around 3500 pounds same as the Mustang due to a lightweight ZETA platform ,which is almost 700 pounds lighter than the challenger or the other TANK the SHELBY KR500 which also weighs about the same 4200 pounds.
Expect a 0 to 60 times possibly in the sub 4s with the SS Model YEAHHHH Bowtie CHEVY always wins (=

gladiatoro
gladiatoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:54 PM   #58
LS9CamaroSS

Drives: Cavalier RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladiatoro View Post
With gas prices going up and up probably hitting 2.00 per liter within the next 2 years I think a Turbo 4 is very likely . then of course the caddy v6 300+ HP ,the vette LS3 Z28 430+ HP and the top dog Camaro SS with a LS7 or equivalent well north of 500 hp. Some or all of these engines will have DIRECT INJECTION due to more HP and better fuel economy which is great. People don't forget the CHALLENGER IS A TANK it weighs almost 4200 pounds so even the base Z28 with 430+hp will KILL IT and the SS will slaughter anything even a 550+ hp CHALLLENGER why you ask simple
my guess is the Z28 or SS Camaro will come in at around 3500 pounds same as the Mustang due to a lightweight ZETA platform ,which is almost 700 pounds lighter than the challenger or the other TANK the SHELBY KR500 which also weighs about the same 4200 pounds.
Expect a 0 to 60 times possibly in the sub 4s with the SS Model YEAHHHH Bowtie CHEVY always wins (=

gladiatoro
the problem there is that the turbo 4 gets similar MPG (according to some on this site at least) to the DI 6. the added weight of the camaro would put a strain on the Turbo 4 so maybe it wouldn't be the best idea for this application...
LS9CamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:09 AM   #59
Jiu Jitsu Jon
East bound and down

Drives: 2005 Cyclone Grey GTO (M6)
I want a talking onboard computer and a light on the front grill that goes back and forth horizontally. Seriously, though, I was wondering how a glorious golden firebird might look painted on the hood of a black Camaro...with the bowties deleted or replaced with arrowheads.

Also, I would get BANDIT for my plate, and if that's taken then PNY-KLR.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:33 AM   #60
SSideways

Drives: 99 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
MY Guess:

~240hp DI Turbo 4 @ 19,995 base price (If it happens)
~300hp DI V6 @ 21,995 base price
~420hp LS3 Variant @ 27,995 base price
500+hp LSA variant @ 40+ thousand. (they're not looking to sell a lot of these, why not make a few bucks in the process?)
But I think the 500+ variant will be a s/c LS3.
SSideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 03:26 AM   #61
LS9CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSideways View Post
hmm... what engine is the LSA based on? the LS3? i know the LS7 was ruled out because the small block's 7.0L set up leaves the cylinder walls too thin to handle the FI. If this is the engine we get in the S/C camaro we are looking at about 568 hp... that'd be amazing...
Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 AM   #62
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSideways View Post
Good. Because that's what the LSA is.
Old 05-13-2008, 11:03 AM   #63
Cyberstyx

Drives: Seat Leon 1.8 20VT
Send a message via MSN to Cyberstyx
Could anyone comment on the MPG we may be expecting from the different engines we may be getting?

I 've read something about a possible 25mpg. For what engine that was estimated/whished for? I think I 've watched a video somewhere from someone from GM saying that they would like to procide such a number - may have read it somewhere here thoygh

Btw, that 25mpg sounds rly whishfull talking to me. I need on a weekly basis 25 littres for my 1800cc turbo engine, which covers me for 180Km. Doing the math, the Camaro, with the same littres supplied, would cover me for 270Km. I either need to get back to school or I 'm getting the Camaro just for "savings sake" lol.

As a side note, that 240HP 4cyl engine sounds rly "European". Here, the best cars we can afford are at the 180HP ~ 240HP range, or at the 1800cc ~ 2.someting cc range. Oh and we get the likes of a Golf GTI or a "fast" Ford Focus for MORE than the future Camaro SS. It suckz.

If Chevy manages to sell the Camaro over here with a similar to US price (plus the big VAT for being a car outside the EU ofc) I GUARANTEE you that ppl will BURN their GTIs and EVERYONE will be cruising around in a SS. Including me ofc (and sorry for being off topic)
Cyberstyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 11:14 AM   #64
LS9CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberstyx View Post
Could anyone comment on the MPG we may be expecting from the different engines we may be getting?

I 've read something about a possible 25mpg. For what engine that was estimated/whished for? I think I 've watched a video somewhere from someone from GM saying that they would like to procide such a number - may have read it somewhere here thoygh

Btw, that 25mpg sounds rly whishfull talking to me. I need on a weekly basis 25 littres for my 1800cc turbo engine, which covers me for 180Km. Doing the math, the Camaro, with the same littres supplied, would cover me for 270Km. I either need to get back to school or I 'm getting the Camaro just for "savings sake" lol.

As a side note, that 240HP 4cyl engine sounds rly "European". Here, the best cars we can afford are at the 180HP ~ 240HP range, or at the 1800cc ~ 2.someting cc range. Oh and we get the likes of a Golf GTI or a "fast" Ford Focus for MORE than the future Camaro SS. It suckz.

If Chevy manages to sell the Camaro over here with a similar to US price (plus the big VAT for being a car outside the EU ofc) I GUARANTEE you that ppl will BURN their GTIs and EVERYONE will be cruising around in a SS. Including me ofc (and sorry for being off topic)
That MPG standard is Highway MPG for the DI V6 with ~305HP. The turbo 4 should get close to the same maybe a little bit better. the L76 V8 (which might be in this car also) gets about 24-26 MPG highway also due to AFM (Active Fuel Management). It isn't wishful thinking. It is reality. Welcome to GM engineering my friend and welcome to the site!!!!
Old 05-13-2008, 11:33 AM   #65
theholycow

Drives: '02 GMC Sierra, '80 Lesabre
Damn, lots of optimism here. Maybe I will be able to get a 300hp RWD 6MT car for around $20,000...
1980 Buick Lesabre family heirloom with 36,000 miles
2008 Volkswagen Rabbit 2 door I5-2.5 5spd DD lease
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
she really underestimates the damage i would do to her reproductive organs
http://allOffTopic.com is the place for all the naughty stuff you can't get away with on this forum...
theholycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:51 PM   #66
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
the base V8 is expected to rate somewhere around 25-26 mpg hwy. V6 will be 27-28 mpg probably, and the turbo4 would only get about 1 mpg better than that, maybe. so, if one compares the turbo4 to the L76, there is a maximum 16% increase in fuel economy for a 28% decrease in power.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM   #67
LS9CamaroSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
the base V8 is expected to rate somewhere around 25-26 mpg hwy. V6 will be 27-28 mpg probably, and the turbo4 would only get about 1 mpg better than that, maybe. so, if one compares the turbo4 to the L76, there is a maximum 16% increase in fuel economy for a 28% decrease in power.
I was at the pontiac dealer today... i saw a 28mpg highway on the solstice with the turbo under the hood...
Old 05-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #68
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

hmm, seems I may not have been thinking clearly. it is impossible for a camaro to get better mileage than the solstice with the same engine. I give up trying to guess economy and power. At least for this week.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......

Camaro Fest sub-forum
Old 05-13-2008, 10:10 PM   #69
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
hmm, seems I may not have been thinking clearly. it is impossible for a camaro to get better mileage than the solstice with the same engine. I give up trying to guess economy and power. At least for this week.
AFM would make a difference of about 6-10% if my previous research is correct.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:28 PM   #70
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
AFM would make a difference of about 6-10% if my previous research is correct.
but I don't think that AFM would work on that engine. power would drop to under 75 hp. The Camaro would need more than that to cuise down the highway. At any rate, AFM vs non AFM means that they are no longer the same engine, right?

Camaro Fest sub-forum