Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 03-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #1
TommySS

Drives: 2014 lt2 Laguna Blue
tonneau cover bolts

I have a pair of bolts included with my tonneau cover. What am I to do with these? There is no instructions included. Thanks
TommySS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #2
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Take it back to the dealer to install them ,it's a part of the bill you paid
Wantconvertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Drago77
Treasure Coast Camaro 5

Drives: 19 2SS vert, Mosaic Blk, A10
True .. what he said...

But- if u don't want the hassle, check this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132147

Particularly pages 4, 5 & 6 for close up pix and some good tips.

Good luck. Don't sweat it, its a piece of cake to install them
Drago77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drago77 View Post
True .. what he said...

But- if u don't want the hassle, check this thread:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132147

Particularly pages 4, 5 & 6 for close up pix and some good tips.

Good luck. Don't sweat it, its a piece of cake to install them

Thanks for all the tips and pics you posted in that thread.
The service manager at the dealership told us he would have to order the bolts, so we have been waiting on them. No word from him yet, and we probably won't be hearing anything. LOL

Following all the posts in your thread, low and behold I had the bolts all along (stuffed in the bottom of the tonneau cover bag).
Thanks to SSAINT, post #66 for attaching the instructions on the install!
Following the instructions, and using Drago77's washer mod, I now have the bolts installed.

2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:16 PM   #5
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post
The service manager at the dealership told us he would have to order the bolts, so we have been waiting on them. No word from him yet, and we probably won't be hearing anything. LOL

Following all the posts in your thread, low and behold I had the bolts all along (stuffed in the bottom of the tonneau cover bag).
Following the instructions, and using Drago77's washer mod, I now have the bolts installed.

It is absolutely ridiculous that you had to do that after all this time. It's been almost a year since these cars were first delivered and they're still not doing that during dealer prep? Someone should have the riot act read to them.
Old 03-11-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
modawg2k

Drives: Topless 2SS/RS IOM
Yeah that's pretty weak that they are still making that mistake.
modawg2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:51 PM   #7
SSAINT

Drives: "11 2SS/RS VR vert BG/BG SW stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by RollaMo View Post

Glad one of my posts helped you out!. I was one of the early deliveries of the convertibles just about a year ago and the tech had no clue, hadnt even gotten anything from GM abouth the install. He said I should bring it back once the weather warmed up and me and him could figure out how to install them. Thanks to guys posting instructions here, I installed them myself in about 10 minutes. The toughest part was worrying about parts dropping down into the roof well. Then I would have to have done this:

to get the parts out!
SSAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:20 PM   #8
RollaMo

Drives: 2017 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodj View Post
It is absolutely ridiculous that you had to do that after all this time. It's been almost a year since these cars were first delivered and they're still not doing that during dealer prep? Someone should have the riot act read to them.
We've only had the car two weeks, but you are right.
Somebody at the dealership should have known about this.
They did know the location the bolts needed to be installed, and even showed me the holes. They just didn't have any in stock. LOL
But somebody in service and/or parts should have known the bolts were all part of the tonneau cover kit.

I think I'll be calling them and asking where my bolts are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSAINT View Post
Glad one of my posts helped you out!. I was one of the early deliveries of the convertibles just about a year ago and the tech had no clue, hadnt even gotten anything from GM abouth the install. He said I should bring it back once the weather warmed up and me and him could figure out how to install them. Thanks to guys posting instructions here, I installed them myself in about 10 minutes. The toughest part was worrying about parts dropping down into the roof well.
I really found it quite easy to get them installed.
I did put a dab of blue locktite on the bolt threads so the nut wouldn't back off.
It was raining all day here, so no top down driving today.
2015 Harley Davidson Ultra Limited
RollaMo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #9
theragtopguy
Lifetime Philly Fan

Drives: 2015 Spring Edition 2SS M-6
Me too....

I just bought my new 2012 2LT on Saturday and the bolts were in the bag also. I'll be telling the sales guy when he calls me in a couple of days.

Love this car!!
theragtopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
Ocikat

Drives: 2012 2LT 45th convertible
mine were not installed by the dealer also, it wasn't a big deal to do it myself but it was something that should have been done during dealer prep there were instructions in the hadware bag though

Ocikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #11
woodj

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocikat View Post
mine were not installed by the dealer also, it wasn't a big deal to do it myself but it was something that should have been done during dealer prep there were instructions in the hadware bag though
The instructions weren't in there for you, they were there for the mechanic who was supposed to install them. What would have happened if you hadn't seen them or gone to this forum and you had listened to your salesperson whose comment to me was "The cover just tucks under I don't know what those clips are for". Then when you put the cover on and go driving down the road one nice, although windy day, your nice new cover takes flight and sails out the back of the car and winds up in the median? Just lucky it didn't wind up hitting another vehicle and causing an accident.
Old 03-12-2012, 08:18 AM   #12
Baba

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2LT RS Convertible
I can't thank everyone enough who's contributed info about the tonneau cover bolts. It's a good thing I was reading the forum before I purchased my 'vert in July. Otherwise, I'd have never known about this issue and would've lost my tonneau cover driving down the beltway on a busy Saturday late afternoon driving my new baby home from the dealership. Had them installed by their service dept. the following week and all is good, thus far.
3 Pedals
Build Date: 06/27/2011

Purchased: 07/30/2011
Title Received: 08/15/2011

1984 Camaro (3rd Gen.): Traded: 1987

"Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss."
Baba is offline   Reply With Quote