Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 04-14-2011, 07:05 PM   #1
RECOUPED

Drives: 2017 GARNET RED TINTCOAT 2SS M6
Heat Extractors

Does anyone recall the pictures of the ZL1 with the hood up? I love this car but, what happens if the car is out in a downpour? The water has to get in the engine compartment through the slats. I've been caught in the rain on a bike and there was no problem, but there are no nooks & crannies for the water to puddle up an rust the body.
RECOUPED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 PM   #2
Blackdevil77

Drives: 2008 Pontiac G8 GT, Shelby GT500
I was thinking the same thing. I'm sure they have something figured out
Blackdevil77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The heat extractors seam to line up between the radiator outlet side and the empty void before you get to the front off the engine serpentine belt drive area. This should not cause any issue with water getting anywhere on the engine electronics that it's not supposed to go. I have faith in the engineers that they have tested this out in all kinds of environments, besides ford has a similar sets up on the gt500.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:11 AM   #4
RECOUPED

Hello there RHLMARINES;
I was looking at a GT500 up close over the weekend and that car looks as if it has the same vulnerability, The opening appears to be smaller but water can get in. Did you ever leave a window open just a crack and it poured rain? So what happens if you are driving against the wind in a rainstorm? What if it snows and you have a couple of inches of snow on the hood that melt down into the engine compartment? What happens when you wash it? I intend to get a 2012 something Camaro that will be garage kept, and if I can manage a ZL1 I dont want a headache like water leaking into the engine compartment. I hope you are right about the engineers.
Old 04-15-2011, 04:58 AM   #5
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
I was also concerned about the hood's vulnerability to water getting in the engine compartment and I was assured by a couple of people that in a heavy down pour, there should be minimum water getting into the engine compartment.

They said that, it appears to drain away from all electronics and if any thing, maybe a little (minor) wetness at the belts. They said there is no need for concern.

Down here where it's hot, an extractor hood is a necessity but sometimes when it rains, it could be pretty heavy.
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 06:53 AM   #6
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
Has anyone noticed how water drains from the back part of the car, away from the actual trunk compartment? This little feat of engineering is for the trunk!! Dontcha think that highly skilled enineers have ALREADY thought about how to deflect water from the thousands of dollars of engine equipment and electronics under the hood? I mean, really, get a grip people.
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Z4me

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM Vin #169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
Has anyone noticed how water drains from the back part of the car, away from the actual trunk compartment? This little feat of engineering is for the trunk!! Dontcha think that highly skilled enineers have ALREADY thought about how to deflect water from the thousands of dollars of engine equipment and electronics under the hood? I mean, really, get a grip people.

Plus I will add one little word "WARRANTY" you better believe the engineers will make sure the water draining situation will not be an issue. Otherwise GM would be looking at a massive recall situation on thier hands which would be very costly both in money and thier image.

Last edited by Z4me; 04-15-2011 at 10:24 AM.
Z4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 10:40 AM   #8
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
Thank you Blue Menace and Z4me for the added reassurance. What you have stated, has help me and a few others get a grip.

LOL, there were a few of us worried about wheel hops too, the SS was produced with wheels hops but the ZL1 fixed that problem along with the handling and control.

Don't be too hard on us that worry about the little things, it's what we do and we don't offend while trying to get the grip. LOL
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
sed34

Drives: a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Menace View Post
they would not be that stupid to have such a vulnerability. think what that would do to their image.
sed34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 05:47 PM   #10
RECOUPED

Hello there Blue Menace;
I'm not saying FORD is CHEVY and CHEVY is FORD but they have both been tape striping cars for a while. That GT500 I was looking at over the weekend was brand spanking new and the stripes had blisters in them. A new $50K car. I mean if they can't get that right, WTF. Ford stick owners also had trouble shifting in cold weather because the wrong lubricant was put in the trannie. These engineers go to the same schools take the same courses and get the same jobs at one place or another. They make mistakes just like you and I. Take a look at the ZL1 with the hood up and you will see that the extractors are closer to the middle than they are to the front. I'm not trying to argue. I learn a lot at this site. I'm hoping to learn that the extractors are well done and won't be a problem. I THINK IT'S A GREAT CAR & I'M SAVING
Old 04-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
mwt18

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
From the pics I've seen, I think there's gonna be waterworks under the hood if the car is out in anything more than a slight drizzle.

I'm pretty sure the engineers realize this, but it doesn't bother them.

Ever wondered where all the water goes when it drains down into the cowl??
... it goes down a pipe and gets poured directly on top of the transmission!

My car had 12,000 miles on it and the tranny was already starting to rust in spots.
- Maggie w/ 3.6" Pulley | Kooks Coated 1 7/8" LT Headers | Rotofab CAI | MSD FPVB | ZR1 Twin Disc Clutch / LPE flywheel | MGW Short Throw Shifter | Diablosport Trinity / PLX boost & AFR sensor modules | TCI line-lock

Last edited by mwt18; 05-16-2011 at 10:17 PM.
mwt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 08:38 PM   #12
shinzon
Night Fury

Drives: 2014 ZL1
when my engine bay gets dirty. I spray it with a hose... OMG !!!

who cares~

2014 Black ZL1 - Toothless -
Previous Lovers :2014 1LE , 2010 2SS RS,2004 GTO, 2000 Camaro SS x 2
shinzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:12 PM   #13
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
All of you realize that as you drive on a rainy day, water gets into the engine compartment from below, right?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 10:19 PM   #14
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
It won't be a problem.

In motion, the air traveling over the hood and vents will create a vacuum; pulling air (and any water droplets) up and out of the vent....in fact...it may even reduce water penetration of the engine bay as water than gets through the radiator in that area gets sucked out, too.

When parked...based on the positioning, it should drain straight down to the ground. The hood is aluminum, the cowl inside is plastic, and the vent is Carbon Fiber...so no rust, either!

Attached Images