Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 05-03-2013, 01:41 PM   #1
Runs12s

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS/2SS
Setup for autox.. Need suggestions

I have a 2011 RS/2SS LS3 6M. It still has stock tires, brakes and suspension.

I have added a cold air kit and cat back exhaust for a little more power.

I have recently added the GM convertible strut tower brace. I was lucky my coupe had the drilled and threaded holes and got the brace online for less than 140 with shipping. I have been playing with air pressure but the under steer really sucks.

I want to keep my warranty intact.. Please keep that in mind when suggesting upgrades or changes I can do to help me at Autox.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Attached Images

Runs12s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #2
Sftshldr
Beast Rider

Drives: 2017 ZL1 BLK A10
Upgrade your front and rear swaybars to some adjustables from BMR or Pedders. Then dial in your suspension and get an alignment front and back for the kind of sport you are driving in ... autox in this case.

Good Luck and have fun!
Old 05-03-2013, 02:01 PM   #3
TheGhosty

Drives: '11 SW 1LT RS
yes, go to town on the suspension!
Old 05-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #4
JDP Sales

Drives: Chevys at the limit
Welcome to the site! The best thing you can do to improve handling would be to start with Sway bars and springs (or coilovers if they are in the budget).

The sway bars will greatly reduce body roll and understeer, giving you a neutral feeling in the corners which will improve your times and also greatly inspires confidence!

I recommend looking into the Pfadt ZL spec sway bar set. These sway bars have 3 stiffness adjustments front and rear, so you can fine tune and balance the car to your driving style and tire selection. They do require upgrading to the 2012+ FE4 Rear LCA's, but we include them in the package as well.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007

Last edited by JDP Sales; 05-03-2013 at 05:01 PM.
JDP Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
jeremywes

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
285x35's on all 4 corners. Then go nuts on the suspension when you're not worried about the warrantee
jeremywes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 04:55 PM   #6
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@JDP View Post
Welcome to the site! The best thing you can do to improve handling would be to start with Sway bars and springs (or coilovers if they are in the budget).

The sway bars will greatly reduce body roll and understeer, giving you a neutral feeling in the corners which will improve your times and also greatly inspires confidence!

I recommend looking into the Pfadt ZL spec sway bar set. These sway bars have 3 stiffness adjustments front and rear, so you can fine tune and balance the car toy your driving style and tire selection. They do require upgrading to the 2012+ FE4 Rear LCA's, but we include them in the package as well.

Please feel free to call, PM or email me anytime with questions.

Best regards,

Tyler
888-308-6007
This, My car looked like yours around the cones, and that is a 2012 with the better suspension! It was a workout swinging around the cones with all that understeer.I DID THE pFADT ZL1 SPEC BARS, then the springs, then now wider wheels and rad arm bushings.The bars, then springs really helped keeping the car flat around the turns and alot less understeer. Felt like you could now focus on speed and driving
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM   #7
sting808

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Check the new rules. Not sure if anything changed for the stock camaro class. Had a lot of changes recently. If your car did not come with it from the factory as is, then you may break out of class. Depends how strict your tech inspector will be and if anyone will protest.

I ended up in E modified because of FI.
sting808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
ICTsccaCamaro
ITCRNRS

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Biggest change in our car was the alignment by far
Old 05-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #9
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
What class are you trying to fit your car into? That's going to make a difference in what you can do.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure that the car is F-Stock legal even as it sits. Cold air and tower brace sound like some ST class to me. Regionally, I doubt that anybody is going to give you any grief, but you might get some at the National Tour level.

Out of curiosity, what venue was the picture taken at?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Runs12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
What class are you trying to fit your car into? That's going to make a difference in what you can do.

Actually, I'm not 100% sure that the car is F-Stock legal even as it sits. Cold air and tower brace sound like some ST class to me. Regionally, I doubt that anybody is going to give you any grief, but you might get some at the National Tour level.

Out of curiosity, what venue was the picture taken at?

Norm
The picture was taken at a local club event at the MetLife stadium parking lot in NJ.

I'm not trying to compete on any regional or national events at this point. Trying to learn the car and get it into good running shape for local road courses and autox.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. I have been thinking sway bars at a minimum and possiblibly upgrade the bushings.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 08:42 PM   #11
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
I have sway bars, drop springs, wider/lighter wheels, and just installed subframe bushings and 1le gears. The biggest change I felt (have not run on the bushings yet, installed today and next autoX is next Sunday) was the sway bars. Huge difference! Also, pay attention to tire pressure and your tread scrub! Have an experienced guy there look at your tires after your first few runs, he can show you what your looking for! Have fun man!
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:45 PM   #12
Bornluckee13
I fly

Drives: 2010 2SS, Stick, Cyber Gray
I'm same as you, I just go have fun. Believe I'm running ESP now due to tire/sway/long tubes and high flows. Really don't care, just like to go fast!!!! From what I understand, beings 1lr gears are "stock" my class will not change.....
There are only two options in life. Fight or flight. Most people run. Almost all people run. But not us. The difference between us and everyone else is that we run towards the gunfire. And that makes all the difference.
Bornluckee13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 08:30 AM   #13
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
The 1LE gears are standard on the 1LE and all of the 2010 - 2013 Camaros fall on the same line in Appendix A / E Street Prepared. You're fine.

Runs - NJMP isn't all that far from Central Jersey. Is that what I'm hearing?

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #14
Runs12s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
The 1LE gears are standard on the 1LE and all of the 2010 - 2013 Camaros fall on the same line in Appendix A / E Street Prepared. You're fine.

Runs - NJMP isn't all that far from Central Jersey. Is that what I'm hearing?

Norm
NJMP is about 90 mins south of where I live. I would really like to get down there for one of their full day racing classes. I'd like to do the paced 100mph class. I'm going to try to get there this summer or fall if possible for the class/track day.