Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-10-2009, 06:59 PM   #1
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Drives: 2017 50th Anniversary H50 2SS
First Time Installing 3M Clear Bra

This was my first experience with the installation of a Clear Bra. I had some tips that I recieved from the person that sold me the film, and also from Thom with HTP Autoworks. I think that their information helped the install go better. I was working only working with my wife and my son. It took about 10 hours to complete but we did it all on our own. The job is not perfect, there are a few flaws but nothing major. At least the front is now protected. Please see pics for an idea about how it went.
Attached Images

viper1cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:09 PM   #2
sherifdude
MEAN MACHINE

Drives: 2010 CHEVY CAMARO 1SS/RS
look good for your first time Installing 3M Clear Bra
sherifdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #3
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Looks pretty good. What kit did you use and was it already pre-cut? I ordered a kit but might pay a professional to do it. I ordered the kit from clearmask. It it clear mask AR and I should get it in a couple of days. Care to share any of the tips that were given to you?
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:56 PM   #4
vdevine

Drives: 2010 Black SS
Looks good...
3800 Born: 25 May VIN#12136
6000 Mine 26 June 2009
SLP Loudmouth II, NOWEEDS, BMR 1.4/1.0 Lowering Springs, Cold Air Inductions Intake, Tune, Eagle Eyes w HID, SLP "SS" Grille Insert, Pistol Grip Shifter, Hawk PC Pads, RGB Scanner, Tint, Headlight Armor, Clear Bra, 22's.
vdevine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:05 PM   #5
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

I don't know if your material is the same as the material that I used, but the biggest piece of advice is to keep the material wet, and keep working it to get it to strech to where you need it. For small fingers that will not go away, use a heat gun or hair dryer on low setting to help shrink the plastic to fit.

It was definetly an experience that will not soon be forgotten. Do you have a stripe kit on your car? If so I had problems with air pockets all around the edges of the stripes. After 2 days, I called the person that sold me the kit, that was pre-cut, and he advised to used the squigee to go back over those areas to help smooth out the air pockets. This did work, as I just tried it today.

Also, it is highly recommended that you have at least one other person help you, I had my Wife help out as some of the pieces are quite large. I would also recommend that you watch videos of the install process prior to attempting, as this will give you a much clearer picture of what will be required.
viper1cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:52 PM   #6
Hanzo

Drives: '10 Black 1SS/RS LS3
Nice Job! I think you found a job you can fall back on!
Hanzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 09:02 PM   #7
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Thanks for the kind thoughts, but there is very much a science to the install, if I had not recieved some helpful pointers, It would have been much worse.
Old 08-10-2009, 10:25 PM   #8
ABM 2SS

Drives: -
Wow, nice job. I may have to rethink getting this done.
ABM 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 10:36 PM   #9
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

I would recommend it. I have already minor damage to the front bumper and passenger mirror before having this done, and all I have done is driven it back and forth to work. If you are interested I can provide the name of the person that sold me the pre-cut kit.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #10
2032Ceta

Drives: 2010 Camaro/2009 Nissan Rogue
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1cobra View Post
I don't know if your material is the same as the material that I used, but the biggest piece of advice is to keep the material wet, and keep working it to get it to strech to where you need it. For small fingers that will not go away, use a heat gun or hair dryer on low setting to help shrink the plastic to fit.

It was definetly an experience that will not soon be forgotten. Do you have a stripe kit on your car? If so I had problems with air pockets all around the edges of the stripes. After 2 days, I called the person that sold me the kit, that was pre-cut, and he advised to used the squigee to go back over those areas to help smooth out the air pockets. This did work, as I just tried it today.

Also, it is highly recommended that you have at least one other person help you, I had my Wife help out as some of the pieces are quite large. I would also recommend that you watch videos of the install process prior to attempting, as this will give you a much clearer picture of what will be required.
Thanks for the info...I have the hockey stripes and the solid piece on the hood. The kit I purchased is pre-cut for the camaro SS. This should be an adventure. I'll post pics when I finish. Car is currenly in the shop getting the painted GFX installed. I don't know what I will do to protect the painted GFX. I guess I will have to order some material and cut it to fit...
2032Ceta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:06 AM   #11
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

All I can say is good luck, Have FUN, and I look forward to seeing the pictures.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:08 AM   #12
MR. FBDY
FBDY or no Body

Drives: 2010 CGM ZL1 clone/13 Silverado HD
Can you tell me what pointers and tips they told you? I am about the install mine and could use the tips.

Also, when you lay the clear bra over the flat black stripes, does it make them look glossy where it covers the stripes? I am concerned that the end of the stripe will be shiny and the rest of the stripes are satin black. I have the hockey and hood stripes, so I know the clear bra covers the front ends of them.
MR. FBDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #13
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

On mine, I have gloss black stripes, so yes under the clear bra it does appear to be a little more shiny than the rest, but not much. The best way to tell is to cut a piece from your plastic if you have extra, and place it over your stripes and see if it makes them shiny or not.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:02 AM   #14
viper1cobra
Member Club Elite #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper1cobra View Post

It is also recommended that you start at the top and work your way down. If you have the roof, a-pillars, hood, fenders, mirror backs, top of front bumper, and the bottom of the front bumper. Make sure that there is no dust or particles on the paint before install. Use a lint free cloth or towel to clean and wipe the surface prior to the install.

I hope the information provided helps. I also a have a 36 min video on CD of how to install the film on the different body panels. Most of this can be found on youtube. The video I have is from Beckaert the manufacturer of 3M Paint Protection Film. Good Luck..........