Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 04-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #29
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Don't we have a Monster rep on this forum, it would be nice for him to chime in.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:09 PM   #30
Heliwrench

Drives: 2010 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
Don't we have a Monster rep on this forum, it would be nice for him to chime in.
Chime in on? It's a puck clutch. It will drive like a puck clutch.
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
Chassis: Hotchkis Chassis Max Brace, BMR Pro Cradle Bushings
Exterior:: Shine by Adam's.
...and plenty more
Heliwrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:56 PM   #31
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwrench View Post
Chime in on? It's a puck clutch. It will drive like a puck clutch.
My question to the rep would be will the engagement into 1st always shutter this hard, or will it improve with further break in
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 01:49 PM   #32
Heliwrench

Quote:
My question to the rep would be will the engagement into 1st always shutter this hard, or will it improve with further break in
It's going to shutter. You CAN adjust your driving to make it not shutter. Some days I've been able to drive it perfectly normal and some days I just cant. It seems to shutter less after you beat on it.
Suspension: BMR Trailing Arms and Bushings, FE6 Swaybar Conversion With Pedders 27mm Front and 32mm Rear ZL1 Swaybars and Links
...and plenty more

Last edited by Heliwrench; 04-23-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:12 PM   #33
DandD

Drives: 2010 2SS and 2011 LS
Yep, I also find that if you let it out too slowly it will "shutter". Great point about concentrating too much too, I totally agree, forget the concentration and....become one with your clutch!!! LOL
Old 04-03-2012, 03:38 PM   #34
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by USArmy View Post
Forum friends,

Just a little of my experience with Monster clutches so that you DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!!
Although I was not experiencing any kind of issues with my car, I recently replaced my factory clutch because I wanted to maximize HP to the ground. I looked around and called Monster Clutches. They assured me that the Level 3 was my best choice for my HP and that my daily driven car would still keep the good manners when driven around in the city while perfoming like a beast at the track. I gave the clutch the proper "break-in" in accordance with Monster's break in instructions during the first 500 miles (not highway, but city stop and go miles). My car currently has 1100 miles on the Monster clutch and I could not be MORE disappointed...the clutch makes a horrible and embarrasing noise EVERY time that you take off sounding as if your throwout bearing was in need of replacement. The billet flywheel that came with the package appears NOT to have been balanced. This clutch combo creates a vibration at speeds over 65 that resemble a car with a bent driveshaft... I am just giving you a word of advice...DO NOT BUY MONSTER CLUTCHES!!!! After wasting the money, I am ready to throw this piece of junk away and install an ACT or McLeod combo. Any other GOOD suggestions?
Quote:
Dan,

That's what I thought too. I thought mine was "flawless" too until reality kicked in. Mine is only 6 weeks old...I am certainly NOT impressed at all with this thing...Personally, I am throwing this piece of junk away. Guys, save your money and buy something of good quality. Check all other reviews. Good luck Dan!
I'm a little concerned as this is not the norm for my clutches at all. I'm Steve, I own both SNL Performance and Monster Clutch Co.

Have you contacted us about your issues or did you get frustrated and immediately head to the forums? I can't help if I'm not informed. Give me a call at the shop - 817-750-2000 - and I'll go over all your frustrations and help you start enjoying your Monster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DandD View Post
Thats funny USArmy I have the same clutch in my ride and I just finished the break in period and it works just FLAWLESSLY, no chatter no noise or vibrations. Who did your install?? It sounds like you have something fairly serious wrong there.
Agreed!

It could be installation, it could be driver, or it could very well be that we're human and made a mistake. Either way this can be handled easily with a phone call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed Kills View Post
I have the same experience as DandD - Just got through the 500 miles and clutch works great. Not a single issue for me. Sorry to hear this. Personally, I would call Steve at SNL/Monster and talk with him. He dealt straight with me on a question/issue. Best of luck to you.
Corrected for you, thanks for the kind words!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flem View Post
+1 what he said, mine does chatter a bit, but we beat the shit out of this car!! 2nd set of rear tires, dr slicks, dss rear 3:91 ... line lock , burn outs, i start my burn out in 2nd, on a dry road, not one problem with the clutch.. flem
These clutches love abuse.

Quote:
Well had the Monster Stage 3 installed yesterday by the gang over at RPM, they did a great job on the install! I don't really have much time on the clutch other than a 180 mile ride back home from the shop. What I have noticed thus far is pedal pressure is only slightly stiffer than the stock clutch, it seems to engage a little higher on the pedal stroke as well, this is a good thing as far as I am concerned. There is a bit of shutter when first engaging the gear but no noise. The break in says 500 miles of stop and go driving, so far I have maybe 25 as the majority of my trip was 70-mph highway cruising.

If anyone has more detail on the break-in please chime in.
Quote:
Newmoon, I have the 500 mile break in all finished and have had the car to the track once. The Monster Level 3 clutch is performing flawlessly, I'm not throwing real high HP at it but it feels as though it will take plenty more with no effort at all. Also for the break in they recommend more of a stop and go style driving if possible for the first 500 miles to get a heat cycle built up in the unit and then cool down.
Thank you for the kind words!

[QUOTE=BullF-16;4687204] I was promised by them that their new Monster Twin Disc was going to go in my car. Every time i called to make sure they had the clutch, i got a different excuse. I had an appt set up to have a GForce 9" rear end and driveshaft installed so i figured i would do the clutch at the same time. I did not want a single disc installed in my car. I had a feeling they were giving me the run around on the clutch and told them i was ordering a McLeod as a back up plan. He said good, and he would buy my McLeod off me on the day of the install.

Well guess what....on the day of the install the flywheels came back machined wrong....yea, right! Anyway, the McLeod is in my car and i love it. Oh, the Monster Twin disc is still nowhere to be found. I wish people would be straight and quit the BS![/QUOTE]

You're correct Jim, I did tell you I wanted to put our twin in your car and that we were waiting for the final touches on the final prototype. There were delays that were explained to you along the way and when it came down to the wire I didn't install the part in your car because the machine work wasn't correct. This isn't bullshit, this isn't a lie, this isn't nor was it made up, this is the truth. Why would I lie to you and install something in your car that wasn't correct?! I know you frequent the forums and I respect you as a customer, why would I put something sub-par in your car? I wouldn't, and that is why you don't have a Monster in your car and that is the sole purpose I had my tech install your McLeod. I do not install competitors clutches, however, I told you I would do something and I didn't deliver, so I installed your clutch like I said I would.

That same, now correctly machined, twin is in my personal car and is working flawlessly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heliwrench View Post
I like mine...
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaros and vettes View Post
me too, has a little shutter to it but with it being aftermarket and able to handle more hp i am good with it. just my thoughts though.
Thanks again.

Quote:
I've got about 1000 miles on mine now and I'm going back to the drag strip tomorrow for the second time on the level 3 clutch. I am completely satisfied with the clutch, although I am not running high horsepower (probably 420 rwhp) for my current needs it is great.
Thanks again!

Quote:
Update on my clutch to this point. Have maybe 300 miles on it and the 1st gear engagement shutter is still there. I can't say I am really happy about it, but hopefully once fully broken it it will diminish. Still haven't given it a full throttle blast yet.
Quote:
My answer would be, more than likely you're being too nice to the unit during break in. Don't be afraid to drive the car moderately. The last thing you want to do is to slip the unit too much, cause a glaze to build up on the unit, and later have to deal with a clutch that chatters slightly and squeals on occasion. Since you're at 300 miles my recommendation would be a track outing. That will clear up any inconsistencies left in the material and offer you a smooth functional unit.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #35
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch
Account Suspended

Drives: 2014 SS
To anyone else; If you find yourself having questions of any kind on Monster Clutches do not hessitate to contact me directly. Our shop number is 817-750-2000, my personal email is Steve@monsterclutches.com, I'm right next to one or another throughout the day and I will personally get back with you. PM'ing me will not nearly be as quick because, as you can see, I don't frequent these forums as often as I would like.

Our units, when installed and broken in properly, are designed to provide you with a single disc clutch that offers smooth engagement and the potential to take a tremendous amount of punishment. It's what makes us who we are and it's what we stand behind. If you are ever unsatisfied with my product I encourage you to let me know first. Most of the time these things are cleared up very easily and will get you back to enjoying your Monster.

Thanks to all here for the kind words, let me know if you all have any other questions.
Steve@SNL/Monster Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 12:53 PM   #36
AngelSpeedFreak
Most hated in NM....

Drives: Sold the 6POINT2, went to a 50THZ06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@SNLPerformance View Post
To anyone else; If you find yourself having questions of any kind on Monster Clutches do not hessitate to contact me directly. Our shop number is 817-750-2000, my personal email is Steve@monsterclutches.com, I'm right next to one or another throughout the day and I will personally get back with you. PM'ing me will not nearly be as quick because, as you can see, I don't frequent these forums as often as I would like.

Our units, when installed and broken in properly, are designed to provide you with a single disc clutch that offers smooth engagement and the potential to take a tremendous amount of punishment. It's what makes us who we are and it's what we stand behind. If you are ever unsatisfied with my product I encourage you to let me know first. Most of the time these things are cleared up very easily and will get you back to enjoying your Monster.

Thanks to all here for the kind words, let me know if you all have any other questions.
Glad to see you standing behind your product and even more importantly trying to fix any problems that may arise.

I am looking into your stage 5 kit now. Might be ready to pull the trigger now that I see how you do business.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #37
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Same exact issues, thought i had a bent axle or driveshaft on my stage 3. I dont drive the car anymore because of this clutch. Shudders so hard since day 1 it feels like the axles are bent from a stop. dumping the clutch with over 500 at the tires isnt acceptable for a daily driver nor safe and thats the only way I can get this to not shudder the whole car. It also feels like the disc is on its very last little bit.. engagement went from mid pedal to top of the pedal and no longer feels accurate.. like a disc that is wearing out. 3 master cyls and two slave cyls thinking this was the problem. spoken to the guys on the phone several times (chris i believe it was) and he assured me they have hundreds of stage three's in new Camaros and no issues that it has to be my install or build. Steve, if you can touch base with me about what I can do to remedy this or upgrade to a twin disc i would love to give you all a best shot. I have the HotRod Power tour coming up in June as well as Texas heat wave and I definitely want it remedied before then.

Quote:
Forum friends,

Just a little of my experience with Monster clutches so that you DO NOT MAKE THE SAME MISTAKE!!!!
Although I was not experiencing any kind of issues with my car, I recently replaced my factory clutch because I wanted to maximize HP to the ground. I looked around and called Monster Clutches. They assured me that the Level 3 was my best choice for my HP and that my daily driven car would still keep the good manners when driven around in the city while perfoming like a beast at the track. I gave the clutch the proper "break-in" in accordance with Monster's break in instructions during the first 500 miles (not highway, but city stop and go miles). My car currently has 1100 miles on the Monster clutch and I could not be MORE disappointed...the clutch makes a horrible and embarrasing noise EVERY time that you take off sounding as if your throwout bearing was in need of replacement. The billet flywheel that came with the package appears NOT to have been balanced. This clutch combo creates a vibration at speeds over 65 that resemble a car with a bent driveshaft... I am just giving you a word of advice...DO NOT BUY MONSTER CLUTCHES!!!! After wasting the money, I am ready to throw this piece of junk away and install an ACT or McLeod combo. Any other GOOD suggestions?

Last edited by The 2010 Sin; 04-07-2012 at 06:58 PM.
The 2010 Sin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #38
Heliwrench

Nearing the 500 mile mark... Not sure I like it, time will tell.
...and plenty more

Last edited by Heliwrench; 04-23-2013 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #39
HufferSS
I Wanna Go Faster!!

Drives: 2011 2SS Synergy Green M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaros and vettes View Post
Guys you need to remember this clutch is made to support 700hp, it will not be as smooth as stock. It is going to have a little shutter to it. I'm not an expert but I think any clutch designed to hold this power will be the same with out spending mega bucks. Just my 2cents. The harder I am with minus the smoother it is. Try higher revs on take off and faster off the clutch pedal.
Not true....my twin carbon RPS/StreetSlayer clutch was like butter..even launching a big fat 4k lb car at 4k rpms with 700 ft/lbs of torque and 730 hp at the rear wheel.

Butter smooth. Best clutch I ever had.
RPM Level 7 4L80e + Coan Converter
Hendrix 9" Rear Axle + 3.50 Gear
ARH 2" LTs+3.5" Exhaust
Fore Fuel System, Bogarts + Hoosier Slicks
Pfadt Drag Pack Suspension
My Build Thread | Best Pass To Date
HufferSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #40
camaros and vettes
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2008 Corvette
how much did your clutch cost hufferss? i got my stage three for under 650 shipped
camaros and vettes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 12:10 AM   #41
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
Out with the stage 3 in with the street slayer very soon! :-) The 2010 Sin is needing this upgrade pretty bad!
Old 04-13-2012, 01:24 AM   #42
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
ACT all the way. I have the 1150 street / track setup.
calbert1999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clutches, level 3, mistake, monster, racing