Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-23-2008, 11:04 AM   #57
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
If its is cost that is keeping you from getting auto, then think of the costs of having a manual which can exceed $1,000 after a few times of simply replacing the clutch. Keep the car long enough and you've spent more on the manual vs an automatic on maintenance. Automatics tend to be nicer on the engine since every shift is perfect. The benefits of afm should give you better gas mileage over the manual or at least even things out on average.

I still would like to know (for those of you who own or Corvette's)...How often do you have to change the clutch and how much does it cost in the Vette since it is the same engine as the Camaro? I know how often depends on many factors like how hard you push it and how often you are in stop and go.. I just want to hear from people who have owned stick's their whole lives and can give me a straight answer since I might be buying myself a manual for my daily driver. Yes I know how to drive stick, I just don't own one and never have..
Depends on how you drive, as well as how good you are at driving a stick.

I got 160k out of the stock factory clutch on my Prelude which I bought brand new, and I certainly don't baby it or granny shift.

I fully expect to get at least that out of the clutch in my Camaro SS.

Also, with automatics you need to change the fluid and filter every 30-50k. I don't know how much that will cost with the new 6 speeds but with the old 4 speed autos it was about 50-75.00 every change if you take it to a garage to do it.

Manuals just use 30 weight oil and you maybe need to change it once in a lifetime (unless you're grinding gears alot)

The hydraulic clutch fluid may be the only fluid that needs to be changed on a manual, but that would only be if you're slipping the clutch often.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:10 AM   #58
06GTO

Drives: 06 GTO, 06 Z06, 06 X5 4.4
Go with Manual brotha...when I first got my GTO I couldn't decide either, and ended up going automatic. I lost my ass trading it in for a manual. Don't make the same mistake!
Old 11-26-2008, 12:19 AM   #59
chappy48

Drives: 2010 Camaro Auto 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrGazinya View Post
Real men shift themselves
So Top Fuel drag racers aren't real men
chappy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 02:36 AM   #60
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
I'll say it again....go w/ a manual. And, toss in the Hurst as well.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 07:01 AM   #61
djm96z28

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS LS3
I wanted the M6 when I bought my '96 Z28, but none were available. I now like having the A4. It's pretty cool when the tires chirp on upshifts from 1st to 2nd.
djm96z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 05:25 PM   #62
BeermanSS

Drives: 2005 Cobalt SS/SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
If its is cost that is keeping you from getting auto, then think of the costs of having a manual which can exceed $1,000 after a few times of simply replacing the clutch. Keep the car long enough and you've spent more on the manual vs an automatic on maintenance. Automatics tend to be nicer on the engine since every shift is perfect. The benefits of afm should give you better gas mileage over the manual or at least even things out on average.

I still would like to know (for those of you who own or Corvette's)...How often do you have to change the clutch and how much does it cost in the Vette since it is the same engine as the Camaro? I know how often depends on many factors like how hard you push it and how often you are in stop and go.. I just want to hear from people who have owned stick's their whole lives and can give me a straight answer since I might be buying myself a manual for my daily driver. Yes I know how to drive stick, I just don't own one and never have..

The cost of a manual will never be higher than the cost of an auto. Auto's you have routine fluid and filter changes that are at least $80. Plus you have sensors and things inside that can fail. Also a rebuild on an auto is $$$. A manual is pretty much maintainance free. Your clutch will last a long time if you know how to drive. May wear out faster if you do some modding though. But a manual will never cost as much as a auto to have.
BeermanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #63
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeermanSS View Post
The cost of a manual will never be higher than the cost of an auto.
I have seen vehicles where opting for a manual transmission was an extra-cost option...

Quote:
Auto's you have routine fluid and filter changes that are at least $80. Plus you have sensors and things inside that can fail. Also a rebuild on an auto is $$$. A manual is pretty much maintainance free. Your clutch will last a long time if you know how to drive. May wear out faster if you do some modding though. But a manual will never cost as much as a auto to have.
I've never change transmission fluid on an auto. I'm not sure how 'routine' it is. Once you get to a certain mileage, it's actually recommended that you DON'T change it. As for sensors failing...there's enough in the engine to worry about, a few more in the transmission aren't even worth mentioning, imho.

If you romp on the manual, there's no telling the damage your average driver can do to it...autos prevent said romping.

I'm still on the fence, actually...I don't know whether I want a manual or an auto...based on what I've read, heard, and experienced...the choice between manual and auto has been reduced to personal preference....
Old 11-29-2008, 06:07 AM   #64
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I have seen vehicles where opting for a manual transmission was an extra-cost option...

I've never change transmission fluid on an auto. I'm not sure how 'routine' it is. Once you get to a certain mileage, it's actually recommended that you DON'T change it. As for sensors failing...there's enough in the engine to worry about, a few more in the transmission aren't even worth mentioning, imho.

If you romp on the manual, there's no telling the damage your average driver can do to it...autos prevent said romping.

I'm still on the fence, actually...I don't know whether I want a manual or an auto...based on what I've read, heard, and experienced...the choice between manual and auto has been reduced to personal preference....
Me hurting the manual transmission because I am not an experienced manual driver is one of the reasons I might have to go with an auto. The primary reason is my wife as she needs to be able to drive the car in emergencies.. But my heart still wants a manual though however I don't see myself that dissapointed with an auto as I don't have any friends that will say "oh you should have gotten a manual, auto's are for wimps.." etc.. Yes, I give more props to people who know how to drive manuals well in a race vs automatics, but for a daily driver there is no shame in opting for relaxation while driving around heavy stop and go traffic..
Old 11-29-2008, 02:20 PM   #65
SGOS252382

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
The other night at dinner, I had a nice debate with a friend about Automatics vs Stick. He was convinced that a stick will always be faster. I had to direct him to the drag racing section over at LS2GTO.com.

Here's the top 5 GTO's (N/A -no forced induction) - heads/cam, etc) from LS2GTO.com

1) Badgto 10.96@122.7 Cartek stage 2 H/C, 3200 tc, FAST, LT
2) Open Wheel 11.526 @118.79 LPE H/C, 3.91, 3600 stall
3) YellowGTO05 11.526 @ 116.72 HPE heads, cam, LSX Intake, 3600 stall
4) jonebgoode 11.56 @ 117.65 224/224 TFS 225 heads, kooks, 3.73
5) pharmdgto 11.60 @ 120.22 AFR 225, FTI cam, 3.91

You notice that the top three fastest GTO's are automatics. Automatics with a higher stall converter can be hard to beat.
SGOS252382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 03:35 PM   #66
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
The cost of a manual will never be higher than the cost of an auto. Auto's you have routine fluid and filter changes that are at least $80. Plus you have sensors and things inside that can fail. Also a rebuild on an auto is $$$. A manual is pretty much maintainance free. Your clutch will last a long time if you know how to drive. May wear out faster if you do some modding though. But a manual will never cost as much as a auto to have.
while autos have a routine fluid and filter change schedule, you need to change the gear lube in the manual as well. as dragon has already stated, there are manual trans options that are extra cost.

and keep in mind that a lot of people drive their autos for 100k's of miles without changing the fluid (not that I recommend that).

its not about just knowing how to drive that will save your clutch. you can know how to drive and still burn out a clutch. theres an easy $300+ just for the parts.

say you change your fluid and filter for the auto and the clutch for the manual at a scheduled 50k and we'll use that mileage for a normal wear and tear (with mild beatings) for both transmissions.

AUTO:
$80.00 for filter/fluid....

MANUAL:
$300.00+ clutch/fluid not to mention the master cyl, tob, lines, etc.

i can deal with that price difference.

and use that $220.00+ for use for mods/gas/etc...lol

now you are right that a full rebuild will cost a lot more and that manuals are built stronger. they have to be. with a direct coupling system delivering power, if it wasnt strong, then auto's would be everywhere. the auto has thousands of parts, including servos, bands, clutches, planetaries, torque converter, trans lines, wiring, etc. and they are a PITA to rebuild compared to a manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post

well, its not that you shouldnt change the fluid/filter, cus you should. but you should not FLUSH the trans once it gets into the higher mileage range without periodic flush/changes. reason being is that (and i know this sounds like a good thing at the time, but its not) by flushing the trans, you can/will flush out some of the dirt/grime that is actually keeping the trans together. as the bands and clutches start to wear down and fluid changes are not kept up to date, the grime builds up on the bands and clutches and actually acts as part of the band/clutch. when you flush it, you remove all that which leaves the bands/clutches without that spare layer to grip with and things start slipping badly which then leads to overheating and eventually death of the trans.
usually. fluid couplings have that nice effect on dampning the blow of power.

auto....SS with tapshift. you know you want it.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #67
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I had the same question. At first I got the auto, then came to the forums and listen to people said about having a Auto vs a Manual. Here is what I came up with.

If you live in the city, the auto is a plus. I live in the city, but a driving a stick in traffic isnt really a big deal. +1 for Manual for me, +1 for Auto

The Auto has the AFM system, meaning the majority of the time, you have a 4 banger with v8 exhaust. I went to a Pontiac dealership last week and asked a sales rep to crank a G8 (the G8 has a v8 with AFM). I listened for about a minute... It sounded like crap. +1 for Manual

You are losing 20 Horses on a 40k car with a 1,200 dollar Auto installed. +1 for Manual.

Its a Sports car, why would you want an automatic? +1 for Manual.

The Auto has a higher resale value. +1 for Auto

The Auto has TAP Shift. +1 for Auto

The Auto has remote starting. +1 for Auto

4 Points for Auto, 4 Points for Manual.

I selected a Manual just because its my personal preference. It's been awhile since I've driven a car with a manual tranny, but its like riding a bike, I hope. You pick what you want for YOUR car. Yes, people can help you on the site, but sit down, and think for yourself and choose what YOU want. In the long run, you don't want to be dissapointed and regret getting something on YOUR car because of biased opinions on a website.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:04 PM   #68
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

my SS isnt running me 40k....
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote:
Old 11-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #69
Haloman1346
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Mine is............,,.
Haloman1346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 07:52 PM   #70
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haloman1346 View Post
Mine is............,,.
lol

Quote:
Quote:
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
Quote: