Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-25-2009, 10:39 PM   #1
nessa131
Nessa131

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS IBM
Your Opinion--Is a K&N Air Filter worth it?

Is a K&N worth the 50 bucks or just all hype? what's your opinion?
nessa131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:16 PM   #2
tribone
Searchin' ....

Drives: Powered by Bowtie
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa131 View Post
I'll tell you tomorrow.

-Guillermo
My Pictures
tribone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:25 PM   #3
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
NO .........just good marketing IMHO.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:34 PM   #4
My new Camaro

Drives: 2500 hd
no just makes a annoying whistle
My new Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:59 PM   #5
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
It's not worth the money. You'll probably throw away a barely used filter before installing this one, which only has a name brand on it. As far as a superior product, it could easily beat any similar product, but the best money is in a real intake. On the other hand, any intake will need to be replaced if you eventually decide to go with forced induction since the tubing will move to the forced induction rather than the engine. Additionally, it is worth noting that no single part will produce substantial power. Rather than just getting one filter, save up for a full exhaust kit and install all the parts at the same time, followed by a tune. This is the easiest way to obtain a significant boost of power.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:32 AM   #6
BumbleDs

Drives: 2010 Camaro RS/SS TF Edition
I think it is. Youll never buy another air filter ever again.

Love it or hate it, my car can transform and kick your cars @$$!
BumbleDs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 03:15 AM   #7
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Worth it. I have installed them on several of my vehicles over the years without a problem. It is what they say it is. No "annoying whistle" as one poster said. No issues of any kind. Better filtration, less restriction, and you buy it ONE TIME.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 08:08 AM   #8
DEW

Drives: Hoopdee
Quote:
Originally Posted by patriotpa View Post
Worth it. I have installed them on several of my vehicles over the years without a problem. It is what they say it is. No "annoying whistle" as one poster said. No issues of any kind. Better filtration, less restriction, and you buy it ONE TIME.
I agree. It was the first thing I bought for my last vehicle (99 Dodge Dakota) and has paid for itself.

BUILD - 6/12/2009
Airaid V2, Flowmaster AT
DEW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 12:57 PM   #9
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
It's good because it can be cleaned but don't expect to make horsepower with it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 03:03 AM   #10
SwiftCat
Get me my meds!

Drives: 2010 SS/RS M6 & solid black, baby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BumbleDs View Post
I think it is. Youll never buy another air filter ever again.
If you're looking for convenience and practicality, yes...but if it's a power increase you seek, then seek a real intake, Grasshopper.

The legend continues...
SwiftCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 AM   #11
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nessa131 View Post
it depends. like someone said if you plan on going with a short ram then don't waist the money. but if you plan on staying stock then i would buy the filter.

now i got one for my tc and to be frank i asked my step brother to drive it (also he drove stock) he drove it up the street and said he noticed more tq while getting on it. he asked what i did i told him just the k&n filter.

so yeah reason for the story is i felt a difference but wanted to make sure it was not in my head. the k&n filter does helo a bit with power and tq and also yes buy the cleaning kit for 20 bucks and the kit will last like 5 wash's before needing to buy another kit.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:17 AM   #12
Revnic

Drives: 2000 Custom Silverado
I'm a mechanic... I don't think I would waste my money on a just a filter. As for these guys saying you only buy the filter once.. I have an AEM intake on my truck, with a "re-usable" filter. I can tell you after about 5 years they don't look so great, and you will never get the fine particles out that are embedded in the paper (which also causes the most restriction). You just get the big stuff off the outside. Take a 5 year old filter and a brand new one, if you did a flow test I bet you would have lost around 50% of your flow. You wouldn't even have to do a flow test, just put a flashlight up to it and see the difference.

Also, higher flow means less restriction, how do they achieve less restriction? With filter media that is "coarser", also known as a micron rating. Which means you are letting more contamination into your engine. Especially fine dust.

Alot of filters have "oiled" filters which are supposed to use oil to catch fine particulates. There has been alot of speculation that the oil in the filter is actually drawn past the MAF sensor in some vehicles, which coats the honey-comb like sensor surface, reducing its efficiency, which throws off your engines computer.

Theres no two ways about it, an air filter, or any filter for that matter is a very simple device. It's a glorified screen, these filter companys can claim theres high technology in them, but in the end its a piece of paper, or foam. It discriminates particles, letting small ones in and keeping bigger ones out. More flow means more contamination. Oil means gummy sensors.

So there you have it, the truth about CAI/High Flow Filters.
Revnic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:21 AM   #13
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
i will have to dissagree with revnic. now i have had my k&n filter on my cold air intake for 4 years. now every time i clean it i do the process it tells you to and mine comes out clean. also mine was used not new when i got it so it has been used for almost 6 years and was in a front end accident.

now as far as the oils yes k&n has you put it on but it also tells you to NOT drive it while wet. wait about 15 mins for it to dry. ok yeah why spend 45 minutes cleaning an air filter when i could go get a 10 dollar one and be done in 10 mins. well my answer to that is you are getting better performance engine breaths better and that is a plus on engines.
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:40 AM   #14
patriotpa
Account Suspended

Drives: 02 Silverado, 09 Vue, 10 1SS
Location: Tired of apologizing when we should be kickin' butt!
Quote:
Originally Posted by shevyman View Post
i will have to dissagree with revnic. now i have had my k&n filter on my cold air intake for 4 years. now every time i clean it i do the process it tells you to and mine comes out clean. also mine was used not new when i got it so it has been used for almost 6 years and was in a front end accident.

now as far as the oils yes k&n has you put it on but it also tells you to NOT drive it while wet. wait about 15 mins for it to dry. ok yeah why spend 45 minutes cleaning an air filter when i could go get a 10 dollar one and be done in 10 mins. well my answer to that is you are getting better performance engine breaths better and that is a plus on engines.
patriotpa is offline   Reply With Quote